I need some help tapering Oxazepam

[ja...]

Hello dear moderator(s). 

I am in my second taper now.  The first was brutal (see profile).  But I am now 6 months free of that! and ready to find a way off the Oxazepam.  I have noticed mare windows lately and some amazing signs of healing, from the Clonazepam 1st taper.

I was planning to crossover to Diazepam and had begun Sept. 27th with a Oxazepam reduction to 10 mg and a substitute of 2mg Diazepam.  At night.  For sleep.  That first cut was klunky in that the diazepam gave me a headache and I felt really grungy the next day.  I stuck it out and it seemed to work better after a few nights.  Last night (10 days later)  I cut to 5mg  and substituted  4mg Diazepam.    (Diazepam 1mg = Oxazepam 2mg).

I had paradoxical symptoms.  I was unable to sleep for sweating and vibrating - restless legs, and the headache again.  I only got a few hours sleep and felt horrible again this morning.  Really dopey.  Poisoned.

I don't know whether to persevere with the crossover to Diazepam, or just go back to the Oxazepam and figure out a liquid titration.  The smallest dose of Oxazepam pill I can get here, are 10 mgs.    So - not practical to cut with the pill cutter. 

Any thoughts would be so appreciated  :smitten:

Well, you know I'm all for the daily liquid micro-taper.  No throw away of meds, no cut and holds, just tapering a little each day until you're there. 

All the best...

I hate to advise you to ask for more pain but I wonder if you should give it a day or two before giving up?  Only you can know how much torture you can endure so I don't fault you one bit for wanting to consider other options.

There is of course making doing a 'home brew' liquid titration or if you have access to a compounding pharmacy provided your Dr is willing to write a script, or since you're taking a capsule or even a tablet you might consider using a jewelers scale to weigh your dose of Oxazepam. 

Let us know what you decide to do, your experience sounds miserable.

I'm learning about liquid titration now.  I'm pretty sure I'll stick to the Oxazepam.  The Ashton Manuel says to do a diazepam crossover fro Oxazepam unless you are elderly or over 65.  I'm 67.    It just feels like a cleaner drug.  Maybe easier to heal from it?

I'm just mentally preparing my self for the next onslaught of whatever.  Catching my breath so to speak.  I know that I can wrap my head around titration with some more exposure.

I do one dose only - at night before bed.  15mg.  With a half life of 4-9 hours,  This does line me up for the daytime pendulum swing of withdrawal symptoms.... dizziness and nausea.  And still the de-realization, depression and lately agoraphobia.  I am used to living in an altered state, god knows, after the clonazepam w/d.  I have been having some very good days too lately.

I won't use propolene glycol.  I just can't.  The milk thing doesn't make sense to me as I live in a remote area and our groceries are barged in once a week....  due dates can be close to expiry on dairy.    I can't batch make it and expect it to last. 

I was thinking using vodka and water.  After all its just a small amount every night isn't it?  And I dislike alcohol... no danger of becoming dependent on it.    I'm going to see if the pharmacy can get in the syringes for me. 

I am intimidated by the math and the preciseness of it.  It makes the most sense for accuracy, if I get it right.

Thanks Pamster and CAgirl so very much.  I'll keep you posted  :smitten:.

Yes, it has been said that it's a little bit only of alcohol.  I didn't want to use the pg either nor the alcohol, so the milk was my best choice.  But, with your grocery delivery, that wouldn't be so good for you. 

I'm glad you have a plan, I feel indecision is stressful and you know what stress does to symptoms.  >:(  From what I've read the amount of alcohol shouldn't be problem, that looks like your best option at this point. 

• 1 month later...

Is there someone who can walk me through alcohol based titration?  For idiots.  Seriously.  I am really mentally slow right now, my body and brain feel scrambled.  I watched a video and it gave the gist, but actually doing it seems overwhelming.

If I buy vodka - does it have to be 80%?

Do I need a mortar and pestle?

With a computer,  how would I calculate a 10% cut when it's time?  Or maybe I can get a syringe from the pharmacist that measures your dose - like when you give your pet a medication from the vet?

Do I need a jeweler's scale?  If so how much are they approx. and where do I order? 

Amazon does not ship to our islands.

I have tried using a compounding pharmacy before and it was terrible.  Is there a way to source out a really good one?

Would a compounding pharmacy understand how to calculate a 10% dose reduction?  Instead of just dropping a milligram a time?

I know I sound on the up and up - but I can't retain much of what I am reading... I've got the spins.