Finding a Doctor

[Wh...]

Hi Everyone. I have a dr. that's tapering me off Valium via the Ashton manual but she is moving too fast for me (1 mg every two weeks). Several people say she is rushing the taper. I can't figure out how to do a slow taper on my own plus I will need a doctor to provide the valium so I need a new doctor. Is there anywhere on this forum where people list doctors that have helped them? I've tried twice to ask my dr. to slow down and she won't.

Thank you,

Jeri

Another few thoughts to ponder.  I too have a caring psychiatrist, but they tried tapering me too fast.

You have to decide, do you want to try to keep your doctor and tell them "my Life, my mind, my health and safety", with respect of course.  Then ask them if you can come to them with a (tentative) plan.  There is an incredible amount of knowledge here on BB to draw from.  Ask your doctor, if they'd support you, as you go along and support you, should you need help.  I'd hope no doctor would tell you "I told you so", if you needed adjustments made.

The way I look at it, you're not asking them for More drugs, higher doses, or multi-drug therapies.  Just to support where you are and where you want to get to.

It's a risk, but something to think about.  You may need to find another doctor who'd support you, but no (good) doctor is going to cut you off, or demand their way is the only way, because you'd like to have some control of Your life.  If they did, I'd say it's ............... I left that blank because I don't want to accuse anyone.

Please, these are just my thoughts shared with you to ponder.  Everyone walks down this path with the same fears you have, I'm pretty sure.  I have the same.

Other people here may have other thoughts and theirs are also valuable.  Keep open, and keep moving.  I'm trying to practice this.  Life is precious and even though this may be the toughest thing we've done, there are many success stories that have happy endings.

Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts with you.  Good Luck!  Stay safe and get well!

p.s., Koko Lee has provided a great resource and has great wisdom.

I was on the search for a doctor just recently and very worried about finding one to support and prescribe  me while I did a taper on my schedule. 

Several folks on this site mentioned they had very good support from a Nurse Practitioner and that is what I ended up finding.  A Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner . Just getting started with her but when I mentioned the Ashton Manual and she said she was familiar with it I had a big feeling of relief. In my state a Nurse Practitioners can prescribe benzos.

This is how I found her.  I googled “Psychiatrists “ in my area and was prepared to go down the list of results and start making phone calls.  It just so happened the first place I called  I had a positive experience with so I made an appt and it worked out but I was definitely ready to call until I found the right positive feedback at least from whoever answered the phone and that would give me a place to start.

Maybe this gives you some ideas.

Koko. Thankyou for the link. Unfortunately, I've not found a dr. in my area on that website, but I may have to break down and spend the money to see someone out of state. 

Oneday, my dr. is one of those that is not willing to listen when I tell her I'm having a lot of symptoms. She swears that her way is the only way. I am ready to fire her and find someone new.

2cats, thanks for the suggestion. I actually spoke to someone today that has some nurse practitioners that can help.. I'm just waiting to hear back regarding how fast they will do the taper.

The NP I  found was extremely helpful. She read the Ashton Manual and supported me throughout my taper. I planned it and she agreed. When I got stuck and had to hold, she didn't give me grief.  I could go at my own pace, as long as "the general direction is down" as she liked to say. Of course, she prescribed my valium.

Best to you, White,

Katz

Oregon, you are so lucky to have found a dr. like that! Could I get her name? I would love to see if she is willing to treat patients out of state. If you don't feel comfortable giving her name out, I completely understand!

White, she's moving to Canada with her husband! He's a Canadian (as am I), and she can emigrate based on her long ago marriage to him. She's not practicing any more, alas. They just decided to chuck it all and go live on their boat on Vancouver Island. She's occasionally back at their farm in OR while the paperwork clears, but not very often.

You might try this link. It's a listing of therapists across the US. Many of them, depending on their state, can prescribe drugs. Or they could direct you to someone who does/will.

Another thought: I found my NP by calling my county mental health department.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/therapists

Hope one of these ideas works out for you!

Best,

Katz