Gabapentin for Insomnia during Taper

[Wh...]

Hi Everyone. I"m in the middle of a taper off Valium. I was originally on Klonopin and my dr. switched me to Valium. I"m at 10 mg now and she hopes to have me off of it in 5 months  (February 2021). I have developed debilitating insomnia. I have to work and I can barely function. She prescribed 300 mg of gabapentin to sleep and it has worked beautifully. It's also helping me with my withdrawal symptoms . Her thought is that she will get me off the Valium, then taper me off the Gabapentin if necessary. I've read some people do fine getting off of it and some need to taper.

I've tried Unisom, CBD, Hemp, Hydroxyzine, Melatonin. Nothing works except Gabapentin. I have to keep my job. My dr. is tapering me fast from what I've read. (1 mg every two weeks) so I am having withdrawal symptoms. The insomnia on top of that is about to push me over the edge.

My question is, is Gabapentin as hard to taper off of as Benzos and will I develop a tolerance to Gabapentin over the course of 5 months and need more?

Thanks so much,

Jeri

Hi Everyone. I"m in the middle of a taper off Valium. I was originally on Klonopin and my dr. switched me to Valium. I"m at 10 mg now and she hopes to have me off of it in 5 months  (February 2021). I have developed debilitating insomnia. I have to work and I can barely function. She prescribed 300 mg of gabapentin to sleep and it has worked beautifully. It's also helping me with my withdrawal symptoms . Her thought is that she will get me off the Valium, then taper me off the Gabapentin if necessary. I've read some people do fine getting off of it and some need to taper.

I've tried Unisom, CBD, Hemp, Hydroxyzine, Melatonin. Nothing works except Gabapentin. I have to keep my job. My dr. is tapering me fast from what I've read. (1 mg every two weeks) so I am having withdrawal symptoms. The insomnia on top of that is about to push me over the edge.

My question is, is Gabapentin as hard to taper off of as Benzos and will I develop a tolerance to Gabapentin over the course of 5 months and need more?

Thanks so much,

Jeri

PLEASE see my post here, http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=246867.new#new

Just like WD is unique to each person, getting off of drugs is unique to people as well.

Some might have an easy time, some might not.  It's all a guessing game at best.

The only way you'll know is when you stop taking it.  No one can say with any certainty if you'll need to taper or just be able to stop.

Good luck!

White, about this:

is Gabapentin as hard to taper off of as Benzos and will I develop a tolerance to Gabapentin over the course of 5 months

For me it was as hard to taper off as benzos. But I did it. I think it's pretty well known (but not among docs for some reason) that it does have a nasty w/d profile that mimics benzos. It didn't hep me sleep, nor did it help with w/ds. It was prescribed for me for neuropathic pain. However, I did not develop a tolerance to it and need more.

Hope this was helpful,

Katz