A Proposal to classify Happiness as a Psych Disorder,

[Aj...]

Ajusta, I read the abstract. They are not kidding!!!! Wow, soon Big Pharma will have a drug that numbs us to happiness as it is proposed that happiness be viewed as an affective disorder. Just imagine . . . we can be "cured" of happiness! And wait . . . joy, exhilaration, contentment will be next.

One possible objection to this proposal remains--that happiness is not negatively valued. However, this objection is dismissed as scientifically irrelevant.

Scientifically irrelevant??!!!

I guess psychiatrists don't have enough to do -- I mean they haven't "cured" sadness, despair, depression or anxiety with the drugs they push, so why not fail with happiness? (As  if any of these emotions -- and they are emotions, not "brain diseases" can be "fixed". Not!)

This is grotesque.

Jeez, Louise.

Thanks for the article. I better enjoy my happiness while I can.

:'(

Katz

Quoting Greaves (2000) ...

Richard Bentall [1992] once proposed that happiness be classified as a mental disorder, but only as a device to parody psychiatric orthodoxy, and so did not intend it to be taken literally.

Bentall RP. A proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder. J Med Ethics. 1992 Jun;18(2):94-8. doi: 10.1136/jme.18.2.94. PMID: 1619629; PMCID: PMC1376114.

Greaves D. The obsessive pursuit of health and happiness. BMJ. 2000;321(7276):1576. doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7276.157

Well they wont need to develop any new meds will they.. “-Finally our meds work beyond doubt.. we just had to change the application..”

:) ...oops, - :( :( :( (dont wanna get sanctioned..)

Quoting Greaves (2000) ...

Richard Bentall [1992] once proposed that happiness be classified as a mental disorder, but only as a device to parody psychiatric orthodoxy, and so did not intend it to be taken literally.

Bentall RP. A proposal to classify happiness as a psychiatric disorder. J Med Ethics. 1992 Jun;18(2):94-8. doi: 10.1136/jme.18.2.94. PMID: 1619629; PMCID: PMC1376114.

Greaves D. The obsessive pursuit of health and happiness. BMJ. 2000;321(7276):1576. doi:10.1136/bmj.321.7276.157

Yeah! Although he might have come up with that later once it was ridiculed...

Thing is he also wrote a really shit paper in ME/CFS - classified as a neurological disease by the world health organisation - in which he claims it is psychiatric.