Going at it alone!

[ta...]

Hello all!  I am so glad I found this forum!  I am going from 1 mg Lorazepam daily to Valium, and would like to start a slow taper. Any help would greatly be appreciated

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ta...]

• [Pa...]

Hi tan2020,

It looks like you found your way to the right board.  ;)

A couple of questions, how often are you dosing the 1 mg, are you familiar with the Ashton manual, do you have the support of your Dr to do this crossover, how long have you been taking Lorazepam and have you ever discontinued benzo's before?  Okay, more than a couple of questions.  :laugh:

Hi, and thx for the help with posting for first time!  :)  I have been on Lor for about 15 years. Dropped down from close to 10mg a day to 1mg a day with terrible withdrawal, (assuming that a day is a 24 hour period)(is this correct when using or tapering?) Yesterday, I switched to 10mg of Diaz. My doctor does not know of what I am doing. I have concerns that he wouldn't be supportive, and wold suggest a rehab facility. I went to a "highly" recommended rehab facility in June for 45 days. They tampered me of of Benzo's in a 7 day period using Librium. That did not go go well, to say the least.

Ah yes, the miracles promised by those rehab facilities are anything but.  :tickedoff:

Well, the good thing is you got the equivalency right in regard to the Valium crossover but I worry you're going to feel pretty rough in the meantime because Valium takes longer to build up in the bloodstream than Lorazepam, this is the reason Professor Ashton tapered the Valium in while withdrawing the other benzo's.  This is an example but a higher dose than you're taking.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm#s8

We have many members who taper outside of their Dr's knowledge, they use them as prescribers only so no worries about that.  Will you have any limitations in regards to your supply of Valium in case you need to take this very slowly?

My first suggestion is to pay attention to how you're feeling and if it's too rough going directly on Valium and off Lorazepam then you might want to adjust this a bit and taper the Valium in while withdrawing the Lorazepam.

Second, hold your Valium dose for a week or so you can start tapering from a position of stability, after that do a symptom based taper to minimize the impact on your life.  How many times a day do you plan to dose the Valium?

First, love your avatar, is that your dog?  :smitten:

Second, I'm not sure what you mean about separating your dose, you plan to take 10 mgs a day, are thinking about taking it 4 times a day in 2.5 mg doses?

As our furbabies should.  :-*

Valium has such a long half life I don't feel it's necessary to dose that many times a day, twice should be sufficient and won't be such a hassle. 

How are you feeling now, do you notice an uptick in symptoms since you eliminated the Lorazepam?  Are you aware of the possible side effects from switching to Valium, the sedation and possible depression?

You might want to visit members in the  Valium Support Group, they can help you because they have experience with it.  It's just a thread so feel free to jump in and introduce yourself, no need to start a new topic.

What taper rate do you think you'll employ, given your past withdrawal experience I'd suggest starting at 5% to be on the safe side, do you have enough pills to see you through a long taper?

No uptick in symptoms, so far from stopping Lorazepam. I have about a one hundred day supply of Val.  How long should I continue with the newly started 10mg a day before reduction of 5%?  I am aware of the depression that comes with Val use. Thank you for taking the time out to advise me!  ;)

I'd give it a week, Professor Ashton tapered her patients in 1 to 2 week intervals, I think it's important to know where you stand before you make another change. 

Whats our actual timeline, is that 100 day supply at 10 mg doses a day or have you figured in the reductions you're planning to make?

Good to know you have so much Valium.  :thumbsup:

I'd say so yes, but please understand, there are no hard fast rules for tapering, it's more about listening to your body and responding in kind.  If you feel stable and ready before then you might want to begin your taper but if you're feeling uncomfortable holding a bit longer might be advisable.

How long do you plan to hold each reduction, again, your symptoms should determine this. 

I Plan on reducing 5% weekly. Hope this is appropriate.

You'll have to let us know what your body has to say about it, then we'll know if its appropriate.  ;D  I hope you'll keep us posted on how the crossover is going and how you're feeling as you taper.  Be sure to post on the  Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board if you start getting symptoms you're concerned about, this is where the most traffic is on the forum.

Oh and I thought I'd give you a link to chapter 3 of the Ashton manual, it actually made me feel better to know what I was feeling was normal.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

What time you dose is completely up to you, this is your taper so it should fit your lifestyle, health needs and activities.  The only thing I would avoid is setting an alarm to take it while you're sleeping, I've seen members do this and then have difficulty going back to sleep.

Ugh, Ambien, nasty drug.  :sick: 

You're going to want to come off of that too, it's called a non-benzodiazepine but it acts on our receptors in similar ways as benzo's, we have many members who are tapering off of it and suffering just as much as those who are coming off of benzo's.  I was able to stop taking it fairly easy but of course, no two of us are alike.

We don't recommend tapering more than one medication at a time so I'd leave your Ambien dose in place then tackle it when you're recovered from the Valium withdrawal. 

• 2 weeks later...
Okay thanks, now for my next question, are you saying you're benzo free now or that you successfully crossed over from Lorazepam to Valium?