Switching to Liquid Taper from Dry... Need help with some math

[Su...]

Hi everyone,

I'm currently on (weighted) 0.034g Lorazepam 2 x /day so 0.068g

The pill weight of 1mg of Lorazepam is 0.09g

When i switch to liquid and dissolve the pill... i know the measurement is 0.1mg:1ml

What dose in ml do I actually take?

Hi Jess,

To clarify, are you dissolving 1 mg of Lorazepam in 10 mL of water to achieve a concentration of 0.1 mL/mL?

Koko Lee

Lorazepam, like most benzos is insoluble in water. To increase your chances of a good outcome, you might want to dissolve your benzo in a ml or two of alcohol or PG, then add the water.

I used the DLMT method for tapering my valium. I took most of my dose in pills, but made a 100:1 solution with 99 mls of water and 1 mg of valium dissolved in 1 ml of alcohol. I used the 100 mls of valium + water to let me reduce my dose by small amounts. My taper worked out well.

Hope this helps.

Katz

Good point, oregonkatz.

In water alone, it would be more accurate to call this a suspension, assuming that the tablet easily and fully disintegrates in the water.  The suspension would need to be thoroughly shaken immediately prior to drawing the dosing volume from it in order to ensure uniform distribution of the drug throughout the liquid.

The forum consensus is that it's better to use a small amount of vodka or propylene glycol to ensure a better mix. 

Koko Lee   

Kok, what you say is certainly true . . . and that's precisely why I decided to make a solution. No worries about shaking and stirring and assuming/hoping that one dose will be the same as another.

People of course are free to do whatever they choose. I didn't want to worry . . . so I chose to make a solution.

Best wishes,

Katz

My original reply was myopically focused on SuperJess's math question.  It didn't occur to me to point out solubility considerations, so I'm grateful you brought it up. 

But, of course, I agree with you--a solution is the more stable option for people who don't object to using a bit of alcohol or propylene glycol. 

Hi all,

I'm using the method:

1mg:2ml vodka:8ml water

Just didnt know what the dose would have been when I switch from dry to liquid.

Okay, 10 mL.

0.068 g is to 0.09 g as X mL is to 10 mL

0.068 g / 0.09 g = X mL / 10 mL

((0.068 g)(10 mL))/ 0.09 g = X mL

X = 7.56 mL