Book lovers club!📙 New members welcome💕

[Sh...]

So my buddie LadyDen and I thought maybe we could start a book club! We think this would be such a positive thing for anyone interested, some of us are bed/house bound, or too cold outside, covid restrictions making it difficult to get out and interact. I know some of us can’t read, but we can listen to audio books in this instance. I’ve always wanted to work my way through the top 100 books ever written, but really I love most genres.

All the bookworms out there let us know if ur keen!!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Sh...]

• [ki...]

• [2c...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

What we'd like to do is get a vote on a starting book for us all to read. As we read the book, we will discuss each chapter or two. Here are types of books to choose from:

1. Flowers in the Attic- V.C. Andrews - family drama (this book has many sequels)

*mother taking her kids back to her childhood home to win her mother's love*

2. The Fault in Our Stars- John Green- Love

*2 young people struggle with life & death*

3. Tuesday's with Morrie- Mitch Albom- Life

*young man search for an old man that changed his life*

4. Furiously Happy- Jenny Lawson- comedy

* woman's funny expression of dealing with anxiety, depression & mental illness*

Hi Shayna, Hi LadyDen!  :smitten:

That's a wonderful idea! I'm just recovering my ability to read, which had been shot to pieces by WD for a long while and am really back into books now, more than I have ever been , it seems  :D

I'd love to add a new book to my list, but I already have two on the go so for me, this will have to wait a little... One of my current readings is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's an intriguing one, but it does require some time and focus to really grasp, so I won't rush it :)

However, the book from LadyDen's list which would get my vote is Flowers in the Attic (and I've just added it to my 'to read' list on Goodreads  ;)). I hadn't heard of it until I looked it up, so thanks to you!

I'll make sure to follow this thread and see what happens next  :thumbsup:

Warm healing hugs!

Julz xx

I've already got several books lined up to read but be interested in your reviews. If you like slightly controversial meaty read I would recommend anything by Jodie Picoult. Book just read was good"The Ship of Brides" about 600 Australian brides who wed British servicemen stationed in Australia during 2nd World War ,they were then shipped over to meet up with their respective husbands back in UK after war. Based on true event about the evolving relationships on the journey over.

Hi Shayna, Hi LadyDen!  :smitten:

That's a wonderful idea! I'm just recovering my ability to read, which had been shot to pieces by WD for a long while and am really back into books now, more than I have ever been , it seems  :D

I'd love to add a new book to my list, but I already have two on the go so for me, this will have to wait a little... One of my current readings is Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. It's an intriguing one, but it does require some time and focus to really grasp, so I won't rush it :)

However, the book from LadyDen's list which would get my vote is Flowers in the Attic (and I've just added it to my 'to read' list on Goodreads  ;)). I hadn't heard of it until I looked it up, so thanks to you!

I'll make sure to follow this thread and see what happens next  :thumbsup:

Warm healing hugs!

Julz xx

That’s ok julz enjoy the book you are reading and join in when u can, I am reading the Jane Austin society right now, so will finish it before I start book choice. Always good to hear what others are reading!!  :)

I've already got several books lined up to read but be interested in your reviews. If you like slightly controversial meaty read I would recommend anything by Jodie Picoult. Book just read was good"The Ship of Brides" about 600 Australian brides who wed British servicemen stationed in Australia during 2nd World War ,they were then shipped over to meet up with their respective husbands back in UK after war. Based on true event about the evolving relationships on the journey over.

That sounds great leann I will define add that to my list, love books about wartime era. I love English thrillers Too.

Great idea guys!

I'm struggling with concentration at the moment but I'll definitely give it a try. Count me in!

Excellent calm! Any preference of what lady suggested? Remember if too hard to read there is always audiobook option. I’m thinking I might do both so I can listen while I walk too  :smitten:

[af...]

Great idea!  I've read (and loved) The Fault in our Stars.  Any of them sound good to me.  Ship of Brides by Moyes sounds good, too.  I like her books.  Anyway, I'm in.

Kate

Great idea!  I've read (and loved) The Fault in our Stars.  Any of them sound good to me.  Ship of Brides by Moyes sounds good, too.  I like her books.  Anyway, I'm in.

Kate

:smitten:

Great Kate!!! Yay we’ve got a few takers! Excellent

That sounds great leann I will define add that to my list, love books about wartime era. I love English thrillers Too.

Lisa Jewell is quite good if you like thrillers. One of best books I read was the Book Thief very sad in parts but couldn't put it down. I'll maybe try the Jane Austen one.

Lisa Jewell is quite good if you like thrillers. One of best books I read was the Book Thief very sad in parts but couldn't put it down. I'll maybe try the Jane Austen one.

A really good thriller I read is called there’s something in the water by Catherine steadman. Excellent

What a great idea!  I am in a long-standing book group which has continued on through COVID-1 via zoom; I have not been well enough to join in, although I might rise to the occasion on October 18th?  As a member of this club for fifteen years, we have covered many books of most genres.  At present we are reading Furious Hours by Casey Cep, Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee.  I also led a book group of seniors in a Sunrise Assistant Living in my home town, for four years.  My mother was a resident there and was my trusted sidekick, although she was unable to participate as a result of her dementia (she did enjoy the snacks I always provided!).  I remember being somewhat amazed at how focused and engaged my senior ladies were when we read The Book Thief and several of the other heavier topics presented.  However, one of my members was a retired attorney, one was an artist, and at the other end was a previous opera singer who sang for Jimmy Carter at the White House, but was diagnosed with schizophrenia in her 40’s😰.  So, I am interested in going forward as a true book lover....as the saying goes, A Book is a Friend You Give Yourself :smitten:

What a great idea!  I am in a long-standing book group which has continued on through COVID-1 via zoom; I have not been well enough to join in, although I might rise to the occasion on October 18th?  As a member of this club for fifteen years, we have covered many books of most genres.  At present we are reading Furious Hours by Casey Cep, Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee.  I also led a book group of seniors in a Sunrise Assistant Living in my home town, for four years.  My mother was a resident there and was my trusted sidekick, although she was unable to participate as a result of her dementia (she did enjoy the snacks I always provided!).  I remember being somewhat amazed at how focused and engaged my senior ladies were when we read The Book Thief and several of the other heavier topics presented.  However, one of my members was a retired attorney, one was an artist, and at the other end was a previous opera singer who sang for Jimmy Carter at the White House, but was diagnosed with schizophrenia in her 40’s😰.  So, I am interested in going forward as a true book lover....as the saying goes, A Book is a Friend You Give Yourself :smitten:

That sounds wonderful GG, I love that ur mum enjoyed it, I think it’s a lovely way to interact with other people. Especially fellow book lovers x do u have the capacity to join? Sounds like ur very busy already but if u can’t u can still join in conversation we’d love to have u x

[af...]

Leann, I was excited to read The Ship of Brides so I stopped at my local library at noon today to pick it up and they were already closed!!  I cannot keep track of the changing days, hours, restrictions, non-restrictions, numbers allowed in, etc. of businesses anymore.  Wears me out!  Oh, well, there is always Monday ...

It's def worth reading it especially as it's based on real life events. I like her books anyway they are an easy read something to loose yourself in. Yes it's def a different world we're all living in at moment.

Has anyone watched the series big little lies? Written by an Aussie author liane moriaty. I think we will add some of her books to the list. Her books are the kind u cannot put down x 9 perfect strangers, the hypnotists love story, the husbands secret. Excellent books.

[af...]

Shayna:  yes, our public libraries are open.  They were closed for a while but are now open.  I checked Netflix and it doesn't have Big Little Lies ... bummer.

leann:  I am going to get The Ship of Brides Monday.  I've read two of Moyes books and loved both of them.

This is a great thread everyone!  :smitten:

No unfortunately it’s not on Netflix, here in Australia it’s on binge or foxtel. It’s a hbo show, do u have hbo channel over there may be on that. Stars Reece Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman, Zoe kravitz,  Shaylene woodley, Laura dern and series 2 the amazing meryl streep. But of course the book is fantastic.

I should also mention that Nicole Kidman’s breasts have their own starring role.  :laugh: So it’s a little bit risqué but a fantastic story.