COVID neurological damage - so much alike?

[cl...]

For months I've had daily head pressure/tension, inability to concentrate, intolerance of stimuli, anxiety and nervous agitation.  Looking back I've assumed it was related to my low dose/short term but ignorantly haphazard use of Klonopin, recently I've blamed tapering.  But just out of curiosity, I googled symptoms, and was surprised when articles came up about COVID neurological impacts........

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/brain-fog-heart-damage-covid-19-s-lingering-problems-alarm-scientists

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/dozens-more-cases-reported-of-neurological-problems-in-covid-19-67717

https://www.statnews.com/2020/08/12/after-covid19-mental-neurological-effects-smolder/

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200622-the-long-term-effects-of-covid-19-infection

If I had COVID at any time, I didn't know it.  Wish there was a good antibody test.  I also came across neurological symptoms caused by various tick and mosquito diseases, and I am (or was) an avid outdoors person.  So I do kind of wonder. 

Just thought I'd post these links in case anyone would like to comment or discuss!

clearbluesky

I was just reading an article this morning about Covid long haulers seeking online support and the symptoms they described were eerily familiar. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it's curious how the symptoms of covid long tail include many of the Benzo post-withdrawal symptoms. Mind you, a lot of neurological disorders have these symptoms too, not least of all anyone who has had a bad concussion will know that you get the brain fog, dizziness, fatigue, and tinnitus. Here in the UK they are using some of the techniques used in stroke rehabilitation to treat long tail covid- note that these are non-pharmaceutical.

It's a tough time for everyone, regardless of covid, hope you are able to hunt out some fun experiences, however small, in amongst the debris of 2020.

And a lot like ME/CFS as well.

Glutamate, glial cell activation, mitochodial dysfunction, happens axis dysfunction, cytokines storms, central sensitisation.

Here in the UK they are using some of the techniques used in stroke rehabilitation to treat long tail covid- note that these are non-pharmaceutical.

Do you know what these techniques are?  Is there a link to a list of them?

Hi tooktoolong- it was a phone call with my friend who works in Scotland on it. He's incredibly busy at the moment, but I will message him on WhatsApp and see if he has any print resources he can share.

Hi tooktoolong- it was a phone call with my friend who works in Scotland on it. He's incredibly busy at the moment, but I will message him on WhatsApp and see if he has any print resources he can share.

Hi Tooktoolong-

Apparently, it's standard stroke rehab due to an increasing number of people having covid, then strokes. He's signposted me to this: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(20)30272-6/fulltext

Hi Tooktoolong-

Apparently, it's standard stroke rehab due to an increasing number of people having covid, then strokes. He's signposted me to this: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laneur/article/PIIS1474-4422(20)30272-6/fulltext

Thanks for the link.  I wonder if stroke rehab would benefit us at all...

It's certainly an interesting idea, especially as he is focusing on improving balance and motor skills, and muscle function, through physiotherapy, plus fatigue issues. All these obviously can also be an issue for some of us going through Benzo withdrawal too. I suspect those treatments that promote neuroplasticity for motor enhancement would be of particular benefit but that's just me speculating.

• 4 weeks later...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/coronavirus/2020/8/4/1_5050969.html

I was reading this article and it really worried me because I'm sick with covid at the moment. Is it possible that covid can cause mental health issues or make pre existing ones worse? I'm still healing from benzo wd and I'm so terrified that covid is going to set me back. I feel like I've been in a wave since I got sick. I'm praying I heal from this and it doesnt affect my benzo wd recovery.

Hi there. Sorry about the covid, that must suck but I'm glad that you're managing, even if it's a bit of a struggle to get your head around.

Please don't assume there is some biological link between covid and mental health issues. That's not what the article says. The way I see it is that trauma must be the most likely candidate to explain the link. It's difficult to know what to suggest other than things like practicing mindfulness and whatever other strategies work for you to manage your emotions. Is it really a big surprise if some people who get covid are struggling with their mental health?

I wonder if it's better to avoid that kind of reading, if you can help it? Probably a significant percentage of those struggling with mental health issues do so largely because they read a lot of scary sounding headlines and got things out of proportion. The less you can worry, the less likely there's anything to worry about. Worry fuels worry.

• 3 weeks later...
I’ve wondered if some of the long haulers were treated with benzos. Could this possibly be interdose withdrawal or benzo withdrawal. Just a crazy thought.

I’ve wondered if some of the long haulers were treated with benzos. Could this possibly be interdose withdrawal or benzo withdrawal. Just a crazy thought.

Thought the same.

I am one of the covid long hauler, 8+ months since initial infection. Was hit at 6 month off valium, the worst time. Wonder if anyone else got covid during benzo wd.

Initially thought it made my original wd much much worse, then realized it's not the same but much much more terrifying. In stroke like status for the past 4 months.

Should we be worried about getting the Covid-19 vaccine?  I have been reading about side effects ranging from high fever, muscle aches, migraines, and exhaustion.  Supposedly the side effects don’t last very long, maybe a day or two, but the side effects have led some people to say they would not get the second shot.  How will our recovering immune systems respond?  Should we worry about relapsing?  I am now at 8 months off Valium and beginning to see some really good improvement on a daily basis.  The thought of going back into benzo withdrawal hell really has me worried.  Thoughts???????

Edit: Changed subject title.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure where to post this, but thought I would share the link to the FDA website which contains the FDA and Pfizer's review materials for the FDA Advisory Committee Meeting scheduled for Thursday Dec 10th:

https://www.fda.gov/advisory-committees/advisory-committee-calendar/vaccines-and-related-biological-products-advisory-committee-december-10-2020-meeting-announcement#event-information

If you scroll down the page there are pdf's of the Sponsor's (Pfizer) and FDA's review of the data, and if you are so inclined can see for yourself the demographics, efficacy and safety data.  It is all very transparent.  You can also tune in to the actual virtual meeting on Thursday to hear the expert panel discussion. 

Happy reading and I hope this helps some buddies make their decision on whether or not to participate in this historic mass vaccination effort!  Good Luck!

Yes, I plan to take it when it is available to me.  The adverse event profile does not appear to portend any significant risks from what I can see.  Of course there is no subgroup analysis from the trial in patients in benzo recovery, so I expect the typical muscle aches could be wave inducing for me, but I believe for me the benefit outweighs the potential risk.  I'll watch the meeting of course and keep an eye on any developments. 

I see you have tapered off the meds, I am still in the middle which is causing my hesitation.  It would be so nice to take the FEAR out of every day living!  :)

Well yes, I can understand some trepidation, especially from the BB community.  After all, aren't we an example of failures of informed consent from the pharmaceutical industry?  Operative word being "informed."  There are so many unknowns about the Covid vaccine.  I'm not suggesting anyone not take it.  But even my sister......a chemist recently retired from Research and Development of a pharmaceutical giant, who has been "sheltering in place"' since April.....even she has expressed concerns about the vaccine.

Hohhot posted this link earlier.  In case you missed it, it's worth a read:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-03441-8

My sister brought up a stunning thought:  first to receive the vaccine will be medical personnel - ER, ICU, hospital staff, emergency responders, etc.  What if they were all debilitated or worse?  We don't know longterm effects.  Sounds like the premise for a sci-fi novel.

Again, just stuff to bear in mind.  Being in a covid "high risk" group I'm sure I'll get in line and take my chances like everybody else....

clearbluesky

Same thought crossed my mind

There is a dedicated thread in General Health and Wellbeing for Covid-19 related subjects located here: Covid-19 Posts

All Covid-19 threads found on the forum will be moved to this thread so please use it as it is intended for discussion continuity.

[37...]