Alcohol

[Sh...]

Does anyone not have trouble with alcohol as they taper? I have a scotch maybe once a fortnight but that is only recent. I’ve been struggling for a long time before I had a random drink. Is it really that bad? I find it makes me just feel like I’m still actually alive. So many rules it’s nice to just live a little. Thoughts?

I'd recommend against it 100% of the time to someone who is thinking of drinking but hasn't done it. It's a bit risky.

I think it's different if you know you can tolerate it. I have the odd beer although I'm more like once every 2 months instead of every 2 weeks (just what it averages out to, no set plan). I got really really drunk one time in bad withdrawals. That's not recommended at all because it kicked the hell out of me for a few days and made me sluggish for a while after that too... but the sky didn't fall in.

It's definitely not good for you but neither is it for anybody else. I think there's worse things you can do to yourself and I don't underestimate the value of the release it can give.

Thanks Diaz . Yeah I certainly don’t get drunk nor do I plan to it just sometimes takes the edge off a bit but it’s mainly just about feeling like I’m not sick that I enjoy. Just being able to live a bit

Does anyone not have trouble with alcohol as they taper? I have a scotch maybe once a fortnight but that is only recent. I’ve been struggling for a long time before I had a random drink. Is it really that bad? I find it makes me just feel like I’m still actually alive. So many rules it’s nice to just live a little. Thoughts?

Alcohol is deceitful, it will bite you on the bum when you least expect it.

I think that once you've finished your taper and are feeling more or less okay, that's the time to think about having a drink. I started having half a glass of wine maybe once a week about a year after my taper, and I felt okay. Now I have a full glass  :D now and than then a dinner. I was never a big drinker , but I spent my teenage years in France where good wine is part of their culture. So it became part of "my" culture, too. Now I live in "wine country" in OR, and had just started enjoying their wine when the benzo beast came along. I abstained during my taper, but was pleased that I could resume having a glass of wine now and then when it was concluded. For me, there are a few things that really make life worthwhile -- good wine, good coffee, and good chocolate. Thank God the benzo beast didn't take them from me!

I think we can get too prescriptive on here sometimes about alcohol -- no, no, never, liquid benzos and all that. As conventional wisdom goes . . . everyone's different. I can only speak for myself.

Best,

Katz

I think that once you've finished your taper and are feeling more or less okay, that's the time to think about having a drink. I started having half a glass of wine maybe once a week about a year after my taper, and I felt okay. Now I have a full glass  :D now and than then a dinner. I was never a big drinker , but I spent my teenage years in France where good wine is part of their culture. So it became part of "my" culture, too. Now I live in "wine country" in OR, and had just started enjoying their wine when the benzo beast came along. I abstained during my taper, but was pleased that I could resume having a glass of wine now and then when it was concluded. For me, there are a few things that really make life worthwhile -- good wine, good coffee, and good chocolate. Thank God the benzo beast didn't take them from me!

I think we can get too prescriptive on here sometimes about alcohol -- no, no, never, liquid benzos and all that. As conventional wisdom goes . . . everyone's different. I can only speak for myself.

Best,

Katz

Thanks Katz x I agree it just seems like too many rules sometimes. I do appreciate the opinions. Everyone is different, I just know that some days I feel like death and I haven’t drank in months, sometimes I have a drink and feel totally fine. Then I’ll have a drink and have a bad night/day, then of course I’ll blame the alcohol, even tho I’ve had really bad days without it. I’m almost done so I can wait. All good things come to those who wait! I’m glad ur able to have a vino again. It’s a lovely reward after such an ordeal. Cheers  :D

I'm more concerned bc you are still on a benzo, and alcohol is always a no-no when on benzos even according to doctors.

I know some members who are able to have the odd drink in recovery, but I am NOT one of them. A sip of kombucha can completely throw me off!

Just remember that alcohol affects gaba...and we're trying to heal that:)

But I know you just want something that makes you feel alive and a real person again. I can tolerate dark chocolate (pure) - that is my treat:)

I'm more concerned bc you are still on a benzo, and alcohol is always a no-no when on benzos even according to doctors.

I know some members who are able to have the odd drink in recovery, but I am NOT one of them. A sip of kombucha can completely throw me off!

Just remember that alcohol affects gaba...and we're trying to heal that:)

But I know you just want something that makes you feel alive and a real person again. I can tolerate dark chocolate (pure) - that is my treat:)

I know trina x im gunna shelve it for a bit. at least I still have tea xx yum i miss dark chocolate! staying away from cafeine is the worstx

I think we need a treat. but ur right its not a trap i want to fall into.

It's a bummer to have to give up the things that make life worthwhile, but it's only temporary. Fortunately I was sick as dog throughout my taper and didn't even want to look at a piece of chocolate. Ditto coffee. As for drinking, even a few sips . . . nope. I didn't want to mess up my taper.

I found a pretty good coffee substitute called Teecino. You can buy it on Amazon, I think, or at any health food store. Mostly I drank peppermint or ginger tea.

Good lord, the things benzos take from us.

But, it's not forever.

Best,

Katz