Hamden Doctor Placed On Probation, Fined By State for not tapering patient

[Aj...]

If anyone’s Dr in USA tries to nit taper properly I suggest you mention this:

https://patch.com/connecticut/hamden/hamden-doctor-placed-probation-fined-state-report

HAMDEN, CT — A Hamden psychiatrist has been placed on probation for one year and fined $5,000 by the state Medical Examining Board for failing to withdraw a patient from the use of Xanax on a safe schedule, according to the Connecticut Health I-Team.

Lisa Backus of the Connecticut Health I-Team reports Dr. Enrique Tello-Silva discontinued the patient's use of Xanax in October 2018 after the patient had been on the drug for about 15 months and didn't provide the patient with adequate information on the use of the drug.

Tello-Silva was also ordered to hire another physician to review 20 percent of his patient files and monitor his practice throughout the one-year probationary period, according to Backus.

Read more details, including other doctors in the state recently disciplined by the state Medical Examining Board, at the Connecticut Health I-Team website here.

Thanks, Ajusta. I'm LOVING this. There have been far too many doctors who have refused to renew RXs and just tell the patient to quit taking benzos. The pocketbook and probation are always a good motives to keep doctors in line. I wish this would be world-wide.

I did not run into this issue when tapering off, but I can imagine how horrible and frightening it would be to have a doctor force a cold turkey. It's good this case is getting media coverage, and I hope it helps stop the abuse of people caught in this benzo trap.

Thank you for sharing the article.