Insomnia worsening

[Be...]

Why is my insomnia worse longer I’m off benzos? I’m scared to death. I’m everyday more confused and I have everyday more cognitive impairment from that severe insomnia that I have.

Insomnia was one of my worst symptoms too, and no sleep makes everything worse so I feel your pain.  Are you making sure your sleep hygiene is good, are you drinking any chamomile tea, are you working on acceptance when you can't sleep rather than focusing on anger and frustration?

I'm sorry you're suffering with this, but when you recover, your normal sleep will return, it just takes too long.

• 3 weeks later...
I am seven months post jump and my sleep is worse than ever. I haven't had any perceivable sleep in the past two nights and I just got out of bed after trying to sleep for two hours with no luck. It's a nightmare. I can't function. I am sorry you have to go through this as well. If you find anything that works let me know! I can't take any OTC sleep remedies because they aggravate my symptoms.

I am seven months post jump and my sleep is worse than ever. I haven't had any perceivable sleep in the past two nights and I just got out of bed after trying to sleep for two hours with no luck. It's a nightmare. I can't function. I am sorry you have to go through this as well. If you find anything that works let me know! I can't take any OTC sleep remedies because they aggravate my symptoms.

Just know that perceived sleep is not the only sleep that takes place. When sleep deprived we tend to nod off into short bursts of microsleeps that cumulatively can actually help sustain you through this. My wife used to always inform me that I was snoring when I would bet just about any amount of money that I was wide awake and heard no snoring. Microsleeps cannot happen if you get out of bed. Getting out of bed and returning when more sleepy is recommended for normal insomnia, but withdraw insomnia is an entirely different beast that requires different strategies. Stay in bed, take what rest and little sleep you can get get and don't give into frustration if you don't get any deep sleep. It might even be better to not expect any.

Insomnia is common. Your brain will sleep when it needs to. Its called micro burst and you will be asleep for several minutes at a time and not realize it. Hang in there. Your brain is working at resetting itself but sometimes takes a while. Try not to focus on it. Say to yourself, " if I sleep thats fine and if I don't thats ok too". Less worry about it actually helps.

I have had issues with insomnia too lately, and I am pretty worried about it... I would like to get some vitamins which help with sleep from [urlcanadadrugsdirect.com/]Canada drugs[/url]. I heard that Vitamin D is good for it. Do you think it might help? I would appreciate any input from you here, guys :)

Why is my insomnia worse longer I’m off benzos? I’m scared to death. I’m everyday more confused and I have everyday more cognitive impairment from that severe insomnia that I have.

Sleep tends to get worse before it gets better.  My worst sleep was between month 3 and 10

Time will even things out.

Check out this advice:  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=235100.0

I can’t distract and not care about my insomnia because that isn’t regular insomnia with brain being too active to sleep, there isn’t a sleep stage in my brain anymore, my brain doesn’t switch on and off.

You can distract and try not to let it bother you too much,  it's just very hard to do.

There was a lot more than just distract and not care (accept) advice in the post I linked to.

Benzo-induced insomnia is very different from regular, non drug induced insomnia.

Right now, your sleep switch is temporarily taken off line or broken!

If you want to know why this is happening, it has to do with your down regulated GABA and the lack of balance with Glutamate.  Both are nervous system receptors.  GABA is your body's "brake pedal" or what slows things down and makes you calm and relaxed.  Glutamate is your body's "gas pedal" or what makes you active and alert or even fight or flight.  Normally the two are in a "balancing act" so one doesn't overtake the other.  But when your GABA is temporarily taken off line by the Benzo, Glutamate rules the day and night.  That's why you might feel wired all the time, have racing thoughts and are never sleepy.  It takes some time for your body to repair the temporary damage.  No one knows how long that will be.  But your body knows exactly how to repair the damage and put your GABA and Glutamate back into balance.  However, it is a very nonlinear process...UP and DOWN, one step forward, 2 steps back for some time for most.

So why do I have cognitive impairment (loss of IQ and short term and long term memory loss), communication skills loss, motor skills loss in arms and legs all because of my severe insomnia till I was still sleeping a little I didn’t had it. I’m really worried about this. I can’t find anybody with that severe insomnia but how could I if nobody was kindled at least 10 times, all of the people I know were smarter than me. If I sleep I don’t have normal dreams it feels like I have hallucinations because I experience symptoms in my dreams half awake I never really sleep.

You can distract and try not to let it bother you too much,  it's just very hard to do.

There was a lot more than just distract and not care (accept) advice in the post I linked to.

Benzo-induced insomnia is very different from regular, non drug induced insomnia.

Right now, your sleep switch is temporarily taken off line or broken!

If you want to know why this is happening, it has to do with your down regulated GABA and the lack of balance with Glutamate.  Both are nervous system receptors.  GABA is your body's "brake pedal" or what slows things down and makes you calm and relaxed.  Glutamate is your body's "gas pedal" or what makes you active and alert or even fight or flight.  Normally the two are in a "balancing act" so one doesn't overtake the other.  But when your GABA is temporarily taken off line by the Benzo, Glutamate rules the day and night.  That's why you might feel wired all the time, have racing thoughts and are never sleepy.  It takes some time for your body to repair the temporary damage.  No one knows how long that will be.  But your body knows exactly how to repair the damage and put your GABA and Glutamate back into balance.  However, it is a very nonlinear process...UP and DOWN, one step forward, 2 steps back for some time for most.

So why do I have cognitive impairment (loss of IQ and short term and long term memory loss), communication skills loss, motor skills loss in arms and legs all because of my severe insomnia till I was still sleeping a little I didn’t had it. I’m really worried about this. I can’t find anybody with that severe insomnia but how could I if nobody was kindled 10 times, all of the people I know were smarter than me. If I sleep I don’t have normal dreams it feels like I have hallucinations because I experience symptoms in my dreams half awake I never really sleep.

You definitely would have all those issues when you lack sleep. But you will return to some kind of normal once you feel better. I think you are being hard on yourself... you weren’t stupid. Life is not easy and we all make choices that seem like the right thing at that time and there is no telling if you would have had this type of reaction if you tapered just once. Take that off your plate.

Know the feeling of not being able to relax at all. Some nights I can but the last two nights I was a mess. So I paced and stretched.  I colored and played a game on my phone. I honestly thought I was back to square one. I sat up on the couch and just watched a dumb tv show and drifted off for 20 minutes. It’s been a brutal day. But we have no other choice but to hold onto hope.

You will survive this...it is just a nightmare right now.

Hi Akul016,

No one on this forum kindled 10 times except you.

It’s not Akul016, was he also kindled at least 10 times? Why do you all the time think that I’m Akul016?

Because you say the exact same things that user says and say you lost all ability to sleep, think, reason, short-term memory loss and it's all due to kindling 10 times.  I have been on this forum over 4 years and have yet to see anyone else say they kindled 10 times.  You joined under different accounts, but say the same things over and over.

If you really kindled 10 times, you're a very slow learner.  Why would you do that to yourself?  It's like repeatedly touching a hot stove and getting burned, over and over and over....like 10 times.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over BUT expecting different results.

I'm sorry if this post appears harsh, but I believe you are one in the same person as AKUL016 and any other accounts you created and you basically post the same questions over and over, just like you kindled over and over.  Time is the healer.  No matter how many accounts you create or how many questions you ask, you are not going to suddenly get the "magical answer" that makes this all go away overnight.

ThEwAy2,

You don't have anyway of knowing what you're claiming and it's rude to assume BenzoNoMore0 is Akul016, so knock it off.  Aside from that your post is disrespectful, if you have an issue with this member, don't post on his threads.

Pamster

Because you say the exact same things that user says and say you lost all ability to sleep, think, reason, short-term memory loss and it's all due to kindling 10 times.  I have been on this forum over 4 years and have yet to see anyone else say they kindled 10 times.  You joined under different accounts, but say the same things over and over.

If you really kindled 10 times, you're a very slow learner.  Why would you do that to yourself?  It's like repeatedly touching a hot stove and getting burned, over and over and over....like 10 times.  The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over BUT expecting different results.

I'm sorry if this post appears harsh, but I believe you are one in the same person as AKUL016 and any other accounts you created and you basically post the same questions over and over, just like you kindled over and over.  Time is the healer.  No matter how many accounts you create or how many questions you ask, you are not going to suddenly get the "magical answer" that makes this all go away overnight.

ThEwAy2,

You don't have anyway of knowing what you're claiming and it's rude to assume BenzoNoMore0 is Akul016, so knock it off.  Aside from that your post is disrespectful, if you have an issue with this member, don't post on his threads.

Pamster

Thank you Pamster, I was kindled at least 10 times by Doctors not by my choice.

When I first began using xanax for insomnia, I would get in bed for about 45 minutes and get frustrated that I wasn't sleeping immediately. I used xanax after I got frustrated (I wasn't even trying to sleep hard enough), and that's what led me down the rollercoaster. My experience may be a little different from others, but I was suffering from something called impatience, alongside substance addiction.

For months, I was under the impression I could not sleep naturally without the benzos, but like with so many other things, I was wrong. During acute, I did sleep. Not very good, not very long, and it wasn't deep enough to satisfy me, but I did sleep. I was shocked that I could actually sleep, and that it was the drugs all along that were keeping me from natural sleep..

I took melatonin and promethazine or doxylamine in those first few weeks which likely didn't help at all, but my procedure was to stay in bed even if I didn't sleep at all. Eventually, I would always sleep, even if I fell asleep at 4 AM. Acceptance that I might not sleep or might not sleep very well helped me immensely.

We can't expect for sleep to come easily. Hypnos can be your friend, but you have to wait for him to come around. My advice to anyone is to try to sleep. Get plenty of blankets, get a new mattress, do whatever you can to make your bed comfortable. Limit time spent in bed, make sure your bedroom is completely dark and as silent as possible. Don't get on your phone during bedtime. I still follow these rules now, months out and nearly completely healed.

You may not sleep, but you will rest your body. Don't get up during the night except for bathroom breaks. Lay there with your eyes closed, and don't give up even after three hours of no sleep. Stay in bed until your alarm goes off, or until a reasonable time in the morning to get out of bed.

Even if you get only one hour of sleep, be thankful. That's a major improvement if you're getting zero hours for the most part.