Propranolol

[cr...]

I’m posting about propranolol again. Please tell me about your experiences taking this medication. Lowered blood pressure? Lowered heart rate? Overall experience- negative or positive, tell me about it. Thanks!!!

They stop heart palpitations and lower blood pressure. They may also work for tremors, but not muscle spasticity (for that, check out tizanidine). I took atenolol because it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier. But it's twice as potent as propanolol, so I took 5 mg (equivalent to 10 mg propanolol). Beta-blockers cause physical dependency and need to be tapered to avoid withdrawals / discontinuation syndrome. Also, beta-blockers muck up your natural melatonin production so if you're taking one you might also want to be taking 0.25 mg melatonin before bed.

I’m posting about propranolol again. Please tell me about your experiences taking this medication. Lowered blood pressure? Lowered heart rate? Overall experience- negative or positive, tell me about it. Thanks!!!

I've had a very positive experience with propranolol.  It alleviated the physical symptoms of anxiety such as palpitations and adrenaline surges.  I took it only as needed because I wanted to avoid developing dependency.

beta-blockers muck up your natural melatonin production so if you're taking one you also need to be taking 0.25 mg melatonin before bed.

pacenik - you're welcome to state your opinions but please avoid making prescriptive statements.  It violates forum policy.  Thank you

pacenik - you're welcome to state your opinions but please avoid making prescriptive statements.  It violates forum policy.  Thank you

Changed the wording.

I took propanol 120mg a day for years (10+) for an unrelated condition. I was able to stop this medication with zero withdrawals or issues. I would think any “wd” would be if you’re still having rapid heart rate or high blood pressure which the propanolol was initially treating. In that case, you might still need it. That’s just my two cents. Maybe if you did a taper it would be less shock to the system but it would be nothing that I would consider withdrawal. More like your body adjusting to not having a beta blocker helping to control your bp or heart rate. Def consult with your physician!