Buspar or gabapentin positive experiences?

[2c...]

I know some doctors want to introduce buspar or gabapentin to ease withdrawal.  I also know there is a negative aspect to that such as then having to taper off that drug as well.

I’m just wondering if anyone has had a somewhat positive experience with either of those in helping with withdrawal?

I’ve always been wary of adding another chemical to my brain but if there is a chance that one used judiciously would assist I might consider it .

What are your thoughts?

I have never taken gabapentin but I have taken Buspar in various doses, up to 60mg a day, and it does absolutely nothing for me. I was on it for months with no affect so I just quit cold turkey and zero withdrawals. Might as well have been a sugar pill. Everyone’s body chemistry works differently though so my story may not be relevant to what yours would be.

Gabapentin is a strange drug that has quite an unpredictable effect. For most people, an effective dose would control the anxiety symptoms to some degree. Again, weird drug because some people will go loopy and even high on 300mg whereas others need a gram or more to feel anything.

My positive experience of gabapentin is that at a time when I tapered too quickly and could get hold of cannabis, it quietened my racing mind and actually made me feel pretty good. The negative is that withdrawal sucked even though I only used for a few weeks. Also, I had a couple of occasions where it made me really inappropriately blunt with what I said to people. I said stuff that I later wished I'd have kept to myself. Speaking as someone who has used drugs recreationally, gabapentin is better for getting high as a one off rather than taking as a regular med.

It's a more toxic medication than a benzo. It makes me feel a lot fuzzier and more drugged than diazepam did. Some people find that fun.

I know nothing about Buspar.

PS. Pregabalin is gabapentin but stronger for better and for worst.

I"ve been taking Buspar for anxiety and it has definitely taken the edge off..10-15 mg three times a day. Gabapentin is great for me because it helps me sleep and reduces anxiety the next day but I keep reading how addictive it is so I'm on the fence too. I really want to take it because I'm exhausted.

I know some doctors want to introduce buspar or gabapentin to ease withdrawal.  I also know there is a negative aspect to that such as then having to taper off that drug as well.

I’m just wondering if anyone has had a somewhat positive experience with either of those in helping with withdrawal?

I’ve always been wary of adding another chemical to my brain but if there is a chance that one used judiciously would assist I might consider it .

What are your thoughts?

Our game is to detox without drugs.

I used buspar it made me anxious.

I have had an addiction to gabapentin stronger relative pregabalin, not nice, however a water titration over a period of time got me off.

Gabapentin is a strange drug that has quite an unpredictable effect. For most people, an effective dose would control the anxiety symptoms to some degree. Again, weird drug because some people will go loopy and even high on 300mg whereas others need a gram or more to feel anything.

My positive experience of gabapentin is that at a time when I tapered too quickly and could get hold of cannabis, it quietened my racing mind and actually made me feel pretty good. The negative is that withdrawal sucked even though I only used for a few weeks. Also, I had a couple of occasions where it made me really inappropriately blunt with what I said to people. I said stuff that I later wished I'd have kept to myself. Speaking as someone who has used drugs recreationally, gabapentin is better for getting high as a one off rather than taking as a regular med.

It's a more toxic medication than a benzo. It makes me feel a lot fuzzier and more drugged than diazepam did. Some people find that fun.

I know nothing about Buspar.

PS. Pregabalin is gabapentin but stronger for better and for worst.

Hey Diaz,

How long did that withdrawal from gabapentin last? I just took it for 3 weeks and stopped it a few days ago and all hell has broken loose. I am really hoping this doesn't stick around for much longer.

Hi!  I was on Gabapentin for "burning wrist" that turned out to be Carpal tunnel syndrome, a few years ago.  Well, all I can add is it didn't work for the carpal tunnel, (needed surgical repair, once got to dr. who correctly dx it), it may have decreased my anxiety, as it spiked my anxiety when dr. tried to d/c it.  BUT, most importantly, read the possible side effects for it.  They're bad enough!  Many people here say don't add a new drug to lessen w\d symptoms, some say it helped.  But, I repeat, look at just the "possible" side effects of the drug itself as you try to decide.  I will never use it again, or most drugs in general, that have a possibility of doing harm.  Not trying to scare you, just suggesting that you be well informed.  Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for your responses. 

I decided to try 100 mg of Gabapentin at night just to see what happened.  I have had better sleep and the edge taken off my anxiety even with that one low dose a day.  The side effects I am having is a groggy feeling until about early afternoon.

I have taken it for 4 nights . I am going to finish out the week and then make the decision to continue or not.  I am aware of the possible side effects.  I absolutely don’t want to make things worse than they are but I was so unstable and hadn’t even started to taper again.

That being said, Except for Ativan I have never taken any meds long term.  Just an antibiotic or something for seasonal allergies or headaches now and again, so I AM wary of using gabapentin and will seriously consider your comments.

Thanks so much and if anyone else has input I’d like to hear it.

I’m in the same boat have some gabapentin but do not want to become dependant even though it wipes out my tinnitus and slight tremors.Only took it a couple times. For me I had an anxiety disorder before benzos and antidepressants.  I like antihistamines better personally even before benzos. Be careful with buspar it’s what started my hell journey it was worse then regular antidepressants.

Here’s an update:

I have taken 100 mgs of gabapentin for four nights now. 

Pros: it did help with sleep.  I had slightly less anxiety the next day for the first couple of days.

Cons: very groggy the next day until late afternoon.  Depression symptoms are through the roof!

One morning I was raising all the window blinds and it looked to me like they all had pink rectangles on them. (They are white)

Can’t remember what day it is and I had weird dreams.

I’ve decided not to take it anymore.  Side effects too much for me.

I was only taking the100 mg at night.  I can’t imagine what it would have been like if I had taken it 3 times a day as prescribed!

I realize everyone is different .  That was just my experience.  Not a good one.

I was prescribed gabapentin and had high hopes until I read FDA warnings about related Acute Respiratory Failure (ARF).  Whether you have asthma or COPD or not, one might seriously consider the covid epidemic and a drug you'd need to taper off slowly even as it might be worsening your condition and chances for recovery.

I'm wondering if you take a low dose and only 'as needed' could you avoid Gabapentin dependence and side effects?  There's a liquid version you could dose very low.

I take gabapentin 300 mgs at night.  I have been doing this for 8 months.  I started at 900 and the side effects were terrible.  I reduced to 600 then 300 over a month or so.  I had no negatives from reducing but had only been on 6 weeks at that time.  Side effects went away at 300.  I resisted the gabapentin because I was afraid of the consequences.  However, my wd symptoms were so overwhelming at that time and persisted.  So, I gave in and felt immediately better.  I sleep.  Sleep is such a gift.  I have talked to my naturopath and she is ok with this approach and will help me taper later when the clonazepam is long gone.  I will use a liquid taper and go slow.  Gaba receptors are throughout your entire body, and gabapentin acts on the body receptors.  It does not cross the blood brain barrier like benzos. 

Clearbluesky: 

Thanks for your input.  Yeah, I’m not sure if I can use Gabapentin “as needed “.  I might check with my doc but the few doses I took were not a good experience. The sleep was good hopefully I can find another way to sleep better. Some of my sleep has to do with some pain I’m trying to resolve.

Healing 64: 

I’m so glad it helps you.  I know there are very mixed experiences on here with it.  I was hoping I could tolerate it because I am having pretty bad tolerance symptoms and really wanted to be more stable before I continued tapering. I guess on to plan B.

Haven’t tried the buspar yet.  I have seen ones who have insomnia as a side effect and I sure don’t need that.  To me one of the hardest things about tapering is deciding what things may actually help and what could harm.  Also that some do well with adding other meds and some do terrible. I get stressed about all the trial and error of figuring out what’s best for me.

Hang in there, both of you.  Healing, it looks like you are almost done with your taper!