MSG - why avoid it?

[La...]

I was wondering why MSG has a tendency to cause revved up symptoms while in withdrawals. I've read many posts about it. And from my own experience, enjoying the Asian and Mexican dishes was pretty bad 30 minutes to an hour later. To make sure it was the seasoning, I ate those same meals without seasoning or soy sauce and it was NO PROBLEM! What is it about MSG that our bodies don't handle well?

I dont know, but sugar can do the same thing to me. I can drink a sugary drink or eat a couple of donuts and will feel tingling in my face and arms. Its really strange.

And?

That doesn’t contain MGS....

It does contain sweeteners,  flavourings and citric acid which can cause problems for some ppl.

You are lucky you aren’t one of them.

Yes. I was saying that sugar gives some people trouble but as of now, it doesn't bother me. I do know that as I progress, I may discover things that I may become sensitive to. Dr Ashton refers to this in her manual. But I'm not dumb, I know Sprite doesn't contain MSG. I'm wondering why it revs up symptoms. I know that our bodies produce glutamate so we can't eliminate it. It's needed. Nearly every food has glutamate. Some higher levels than others. Some it gets higher if they're cooked....like tomatoes. So, I guess it's perhaps because it's too much at once for the brain to handle?

I eat sugar because have constant insaitible craving for biscuits that can’t control or ignore.

My teeth are rotting because can’t stop.

My body hates it.

Ladyden: glutamate is one of the most abundant chemicals in the body and serves a good purpose but it is balanced out by gaba (which our bodies are trying to recover). So MSG is glutamate so eating it causes a glutamate storm in your body - thats why its so rough! This is why preservatives are to be avoided in all of this.

Something I learned recently...when food lists "natural flavors" as an ingredient its actually a preservative/msg. so don't be fooled! :thumbsup:

Wow! Thx for that explanation. Yes I see natural flavoring on labels often. My thoughts are...you can't tell me what kind????? Must be preservatives! It's a shame they allow a loophole on those labels. Thx for the warning, Trina

I’m very sensitive to MSG. I avoid all takeout and packaged foods. As Trina said, be careful of deceptive labeling. MSG is hidden under many names, even “spices.”

It's a calorie dense food that has next to zero nutritional value. It may taste good, but your body really doesn't like it.

I guess I don't have any beef with MSG specifically. It's found naturally in some foods and I wouldn't recommend against eating those foods, necessarily. For example, I wouldn't say eliminate tomatoes because they contain MSG. You could trial it and it might help, but I don't think it's going to be decisive.

My problem is more generally with processed and refined foods. It's the one thing that all experts seem to form a consensus on. What the serious people are advising is to completely eliminate these foods, not merely eat less of them. That probably sounds daunting but actually if you can get over the initial hump (about 2 weeks) then it's easier than if you allow yourself a treat. No matter how much you think you love your favourite junk foods, the cravings will disappear if you leave them alone for long enough, and long enough is really not as long as you think. It gets easier after literally just a few days. After just a few weeks, your tastebuds will adjust and you'll start to crave the good foods you've been getting used to rather than the old junk. To be clear, refined sugar and cooking oils are an absolute no-no. They're really bad for you. It's not just the chemical preservatives and emulsifiers and all that, which are a problem.

I kinda feel weird to type that above. People get really sensitive towards criticism of their diets. Since the majority of the West is addicted to junk food, airing the view that it would be best avoided completely is something like walking into a bar with the intention of convincing the patrons to go teetotal. It's very feasible and will do wonders for your health and quality of life while also likely increasing your life expectancy. But absolutely nobody wants to hear it. BB is not an accurate representation of the real world. There are more people here who are desperate to feel well and will try quite a lot. I hope my commentary is received a little better here and perhaps inspires somebody to push themselves. It could change your life.

I didn't have problem with raw tomatoes, but tomato juice is another story. Back in "good old times" when my only symptoms were GERD and 3AM cortisol surges it used to ramp them up so hard.

Thx Diaz and everyone.

Diaz, it's well received here and I completely agree with your view. Even Dr Ashton said don't make a fuss about your diet. She advised to use common sense if you notice something Revving up your symptoms. I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to certain things but I know msg is one of them. How??? I tested it. End result....huge waves! So no more Chinese food for me for awhile. Too bad cuz I love it! I guess it's too much extra glutamate.

Yes cooked tomatoes get me as well. A few Chopped in a salad, I do ok. Spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, my creole foods are mostly what we call ( red sauce) it's tomato based....huge waves! I did research and sure enough they're high in glutamate and more so if cooked.