Author Topic: FDA finally put black box warning on all benzodiazepines  (Read 2409 times)

[Buddie]

Re: FDA finally put black box warning on all benzodiazepines
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 06:53:32 pm »
Thx [...]!  ;)
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 11:27:06 pm »
This really is good news.

"In 2019, an estimated 92 million benzodiazepine prescriptions were dispensed from U.S. outpatient retail and mail-order pharmacies..."

Is that 92 million patients or 92 million refills?? (Under "Facts about benzodiazepenes")
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2020, 01:48:48 pm »
I don't like that it recommends doctors put their patient on a "gradual" taper without saying anything about what that means. It allows room for equivocation and vulnerable patients may not pick up on it. It should make it a little easier to coach a naive newbie to pull their doctor into line, though. We know that some doctors will propose a withdrawal plan that is not gradual by any measure.

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2020, 05:05:04 pm »
This really is good news.

"In 2019, an estimated 92 million benzodiazepine prescriptions were dispensed from U.S. outpatient retail and mail-order pharmacies..."

Is that 92 million patients or 92 million refills?? (Under "Facts about benzodiazepenes")

I interpret this statement to mean 92 MM separately dispensed prescriptions which are made up of both initial prescriptions and refills.  So not 92 MM people per se, but certainly widespread use in just one year!

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2020, 03:11:31 am »
I'm glad this is finally happening, but I [...] to say my first reaction was:  Sure, NOW they tell us.   >:(

[...]

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 04:03:23 pm »
At least we [...] something to take to health care providers when they donít believe us! This is a huge win, I [...] had nurses and doctors in psych wards shame and gaslight me, they donít listen to patients much. Now we can print this out and walk in with it. Better than the nothing we had before and some doctors do care and will read this and it will make a difference. Of course it doesnít 100% solve this problem, IMO benzodiazepines should be wiped from the face of the earth. But, itís progress and better than I thought we would see.

Also the warning about the addictive nature and encouraging doctors to actually pay attention to that is important, even if many of us struggled with dependence not abuse. Just because someone has the disease of addiction and not just a dependence doesnít make them less worthy of good care. Stop getting offended and consider yourself lucky if you donít. These drugs are widely misused and abused and wreak havoc in those peopleís lives too. You are not superior to them because you donít [...] the disease of addiction, just different.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2020, 04:39:19 pm »
That's correct, it doesn't matter if you're addicted or not or if they're prescribed or not, either way it's the same medication going in your body. I don't know why they see the two as being any different, when the reality is you're taking the pill and you're placing it in your mouth and swallowing it with water, so what's the difference?

Or you can think about it like this, you could do a test and compare two people side by side. The first person takes 8 tablets a day as prescribed, and the second person takes 8 tablets a day non-prescribed off the street. When you remove the medications from them in a couple years, they're both going to go through the same withdrawal. So did the prescription matter for the one person? No, it doesn't.

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 04:58:48 pm »
Benzos aren't dopaminergic drugs. Very, very few people are actually addicted to them (I know of only 3 people total on the forum that can be said to be addicted). As such, the whole addiction schtick is just used as a bludgeon to mistreat people. Of course, I agree that addicts shouldn't be mistreated, but it is what it is. They do get stigmatized and mistreated, and this is especially horrible for someone who got put on the drug by a physician and then forced into "detox" center and into cold-turkey.

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2020, 06:43:41 pm »
No one is arguing that they donít use the label of addict to mistreat people and deny proper care. Your points about the number of people who are addicted based on your false understanding of the disease and your observations of how many you [...] decided are Ďtruly addictedí on this forum, are gravely misinformed and honestly, just arrogant. Many addicts obtain these drugs legally from doctors, Iíve seen them come through the many medical practices Iíve worked in, since we are being anecdotal now.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2020, 08:07:03 am »
I'm not basing my argument of who's addicted on where one gets benzos from. Self-medication isn't addiction. Addiction is using benzos to get "high" instead of for therapeutical effect and my obervation is based on the number of people on the forum who admitted to benzo abuse, and they're usually dependent on large doses (like 300+ mg diazepam equivalent). But that is all beside the point. People dependent on antidepressants, antipsychotics, or even gabapentoids aren't stigmatized as addicts (and gabapentoids are known to be much better for getting "high" than benzos, heck phenibut drug much more dangerous than benzos is treated as merely a "supplement"). Addiction is mentioned only with regards to benzos. The whole legal environment about all of this is bizarre even without taking benzos into account, e.g. mCPP the metabolite of trazodone is illegal, whereas trazodone itself is legal. So, if you take trazodone you end up with illegal substance in your body.