Help Please -Which to taper First, Klonopin or Ambien, or?

[on...]

I thought I had a plan.  As you see in my signature, I've been on 1mg of Klonopin and 10mg of Ambien daily for about 2 years.  I'm 69yo.  I've wanted to do this on my own with help from the Ashton Manual and support from BB.  I've not discussed it with my psychiatrist, as the last taper plan they had me on, for Xanax found me in the ER. I wasn't on Xanax long and low dose, but because of that, taper was quick, with a sudden stop.  Then, started me on the Klonopin, soon after the Ambien.  I must admit, I agreed, as I thought I really needed it.  About a year ago, my doc created a taper plan for the Klonopin, that was decreasing dose by 25%, and doing that for 2-3 days a week.  BAM, that sure was wrong for me.

My Current plan was to start my 10% taper, every 2-3 weeks, (with scale and help with formula from others here on BB) of KLONOPIN and hold Ambien steady, as it would help me sleep.  Then tackle the Ambien taper, sometime later.

Helpful folks in the Z Support group have suggested considering doing the Ambien (as it's shorter acting) FIRST. 

Does anyone have experience with having to taper TWO meds? Especially these?  I'm not sure what comes first, the chicken or the egg, so to speak.

I must admit, my confusion and variety of postings here, have me doubting whether it a good idea, in general.  Add Covid, social unrest, climate change and our govt, adds even more to my concern.

Please, what do you think?  (Other then, no time like the present to start this journey)

THANK YOU !!

I know it's tough to figure out what to do when you receive different responses to your questions, but in a peer support group, we let others know how we did things and no two of us are alike so no two approaches are either.

I quit Klonopin cold turkey but started taking Ambien several months later, the cold turkey was brutal and I relied on the Ambien to help me get enough sleep to be able to work full time.  When I finally quit the Ambien cold turkey 8 months later, it only took me a couple of weeks to get over it.  I had insomnia at first with some awful nightmares but my sleep returned quickly. 

I'm not advocating you quit anything cold turkey but in my experience, stopping Ambien was a lot easier than stopping Klonopin.  Not everyone has my experience though, there are many who suffer tapering or quitting z-drugs cold turkey, we just don't know who will have difficulty.

Bottom line, it's up to you which you think should come first, the chicken or the egg, what does your gut tell you to taper first?