Steroid injection?

[2c...]

I’ve read the info about use of steroids while tapering from benzos.  I feel like I’m between a rock and a hard place. I have unresolved back pain and the next step is seeing a pain doc most likely about targeted steroid injections.  I’ve done physical therapy, chiropractic, osteopathic, anti inflammatories, CBD, essential oils, you name it. The pain has greatly increased my anxiety and even though I was holding on my Ativan taper I started having panic attacks and constant high anxiety due to the pain.  So stopped my taper and even reinstated to try and get stable again. Although I think I will never get stable until pain is resolved.  It is a vicious circle.

I have pretty much decided to go ahead and get the injections and deal with those side effects if they would give me any relief at all. I don’t know how else to handle it.

Any discussion, please? I am in a really bad place over this!!!!! The chronic pain is just about got me !

I had it done twice during WD and I wish  I hadn’t! I must add I didn’t know I was in withdrawal but looking back now it would have been better to not do it. It made my joint and muscular pain intensify. Plus I had non stop anxiety and crying spells afterwards. It wasn’t worth it for me. If I could go back in time I wouldn’t have had it done. Not everyone has problems with this, but in the Ashton manual she spoke about steroids being possible triggers.

Please note that steroids bind to GABA receptors just like benzos, so be careful.  I had a terrible reaction to a single steroid shot that made me unable to tolerate antibiotics and other "regular" drugs.  I understand your dilemma.  Have you looked into other options for pain management?

Athsey1

Yes I have tried multiple things. PT, chiropractic, osteopathic manipulation, muscle relaxers (horrible, made me have brain flashes).  I haven’t tried acupuncture. Unfortunately I live in a rural area that makes it difficult to access some things without driving far.

Topicals like menthol pain patches and rubs help temporarily but trying to find a solution to cause of pain. MRIs show nothing beyond typical condition for someone my age.

I have had 2 steroid injections before.  I did have side effects of flushed face and rapid heartbeat and sleeplessness but they subsided after about a week. 

Thanks to all who responded.  I will carefully consider what to do.

Confuseduser:  thanks for your input.  I have had 2 steroid injections last year before all this craziness with my withdrawal was so bad and I did have side effects like the flushed face and anxiety/sleepless but it went away after a few days.  I think since my anxiety level is a million times higher right now I will abstain but I saw the doc yesterday. 

He was very sympathetic to my side effects and said there were options.  He said some people really benefit from just the numbing agent which I think is lidocaine.  He said some for some people it acts like a “reset” and sometimes the pain doesn’t come back again!  I have never heard that before . Maybe that’s an option for me. 

Confuseduser:  thanks for your input.  I have had 2 steroid injections last year before all this craziness with my withdrawal was so bad and I did have side effects like the flushed face and anxiety/sleepless but it went away after a few days.  I think since my anxiety level is a million times higher right now I will abstain but I saw the doc yesterday. 

He was very sympathetic to my side effects and said there were options.  He said some people really benefit from just the numbing agent which I think is lidocaine.  He said some for some people it acts like a “reset” and sometimes the pain doesn’t come back again!  I have never heard that before . Maybe that’s an option for me.

I had 4 lidocaine injections last year with no reactions.  I hope you find something that helps.  :)