Feeling Good using CBT

[RS...]

A key part of my recovery was the cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).  I worked with a therapist who used the techniques in Feeling Good by David Burns.  He has a great website:  https://feelinggood.com/  There are lots of free resources and podcasts available there.  There are also tests you can take to gauge your level of anxiety and depression.  (I had to do these before each visit with my therapist.)

One exercise that I had to do each week was to confront one of my fears.  Since I had bad claustrophobia and social anxiety, the exercises focused on these.  For example, one task was to ask someone at random for directions to a nearby place.  (This was a tough one for me so he had me start out asking for help in a store.)  Another exercise involved me driving around the city during peak rush hour traffic.  Another exercise was riding in a crowded elevator multiple times per day. 

Other exercises focused on cultivating a sense of happiness and gratitude.  I was a workaholic and so he had me stop working and just enjoy the lunch hour or stop work at 5PM and no work thoughts once I got home.  Another exercise was to call a friend and do something with them.  I would be tasked with going an entire day without complaining about things and instead look for good things--surprise, there were lots of good things in my life that I wasn't seeing!

Here is a link to the 10 mental distortions discussed in detail in the book.  Recognizing and overcoming these distortions will go a long way towards improving your mental health.  https://tantor-site-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/bonus-content/0820_FeelingGood/0820_FeelingGood_BonusPDF.pdf

I also liked the link about cognitive distortions. I could have used it this time last year, for sure. I can list a concrete example for all the distortions listed, all from last year. That's psychosis, I guess.

I'm glad you got something out of CBT. It sounds like it helped a lot with confidence. I did a bunch of group sessions for CBT for depression. It wasn't the best fit and I wasn't all there but I got something out of it. It was just a couple of pointers (more like reminders, to be honest) that resonated. Very simple stuff but I was in a bad state, so it was appropriate.

I also use CBT-I ( for insomnia). It works great for me. I sleep pretty well. My doctor started me doing this when I begin my taper. I also use it as a coping skill when I have my big waves.

This is a great post!

@[di...]

I had to go through several therapists before finding one that could really help me.  My own opinion is that CBT is not for everyone and you need to find something that works for you.  My therapist used reason and exposure therapy to help me along.  He had me focus on doing things.  As an engineer, his approach appealed to my rational mind, and the activities he had me do built up my confidence.  But others might benefit from a more spiritual approach.  The point is, keep searching for answers and find what works for you. 

This is an excellent thread.  I think CBT and ACT therapies are both great modalities.  In particular, I like the personal accountability aspect to these styles.

Thanks for sharing everyone!

@diaz:

I had to go through several therapists before finding one that could really help me.  My own opinion is that CBT is not for everyone and you need to find something that works for you.  My therapist used reason and exposure therapy to help me along.  He had me focus on doing things.  As an engineer, his approach appealed to my rational mind, and the activities he had me do built up my confidence.  But others might benefit from a more spiritual approach.  The point is, keep searching for answers and find what works for you.

Thanks, I appreciate the insight. To be honest, it has more to do with where I was at the time. I was all over the place. It helped, for what it was.

I'm not looking for this sort of help any longer. Never say never and all that but I'm delighted not to have to interact with health providers and so-called health providers. I could get some benefit from the right type of therapy delivered by the right person (as could many) but it's more important for me to step away from doctors for a while. I'm genuinely doing well on an emotional level but if anybody could trigger me, it'd be a doctor. I might consider it when I get to the point where I could meet an incompetent and arrogant doctor and not want to punch their brain out. I'm getting better but I'm not there.

I agree with you there.  I am now much more skeptical when doctors tell me things and I know I need to do my own research first.  I did finally schedule my annual physical and my doctor will be pleased that I am off of Ativan and Ambien.  He has encouraged me to come off of my meds as much as possible.  Currently taking a low dose bp medication but he thinks that if I lose 10lbs I could come off of that too.  That is my next goal.

What is so surprising is how much calmer I am overall now that I am free of the benzos.

Work??!  you are fortunate to be able to work..    I am not even close to being able to work with severe depression and chronic horrible fatigue.  I just do not know what to do any longer.  very little money and have not been able to work for 4 years, spine trouble as well, spent my saving on spine surgery that failed.  i applied for disability insurance and have been denied multiple times and final appeal is done.  Even after surgery on my spine they did not give me even 6 months to recover.  My attorney said Trump is cutting back on all the benefits.  She said this was unheard of before Trump.  She said they always would give 2 years of benefits for spinal surgery without hesitation.  I have been robbed of my money I paid into this for 30 plus years and can't get a dime.  I am so lost and confused on what to do or where to go.  I am suffering tremendously with this depression and fatigue.  It feels like a person with the flu 24 hours a day 7 days a week every month every year.    thanks for reading my plea

@ladyden  Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, I will be working with my physician once I am ready to start tapering.  My first task is to lose 10lbs.

[55...]

@ladyden  Thanks for the reminder.  Yes, I will be working with my physician once I am ready to start tapering.  My first task is to lose 10lbs.

RShack, when you lose that 10#, you can start a thread on how you did it.  Just about everybody I know had gained weight during Covid, me included!!

Kate    ::)