1mg of Klonopin to valium

[Sc...]

The doctors have had me on Klonopin for 17 years.  In the last year I became informed about the dangers of Benzos.  I got down from 6mg a day to 1mg.  Over the last month getting from 1mg of klonopin to 0.5mg was absolutely paralyzing.  Now I am back to 1mg a day and still am in misery.  My doctor is switching me over to 15mg of valium and says I may need to be on it the rest of my life.  Is 15mg a good switch over equivalent as I am hearing 20mg would be more appropriate?

Considering how unstable you were on the .5 and still are on the 1 mg, I'd say 20 mgs of Valium would be more appropriate since that's the equivalent listed in the table we use. https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

It sounds like your taper have been overly rapid so it may take an even larger amount of Valium for you to get stable enough to continue your taper, please slow it down and do a symptom based taper so you can at least remain functional.

As for your Dr saying you may need to be on the drug the rest of your life, this is your body, your decision your life and you can make that choice for yourself.  Personally, I find life without benzo's and z-drugs to be worth the misery I had to endure to get off of them.

The doctors have had me on Klonopin for 17 years.  In the last year I became informed about the dangers of Benzos.  I got down from 6mg a day to 1mg.  Over the last month getting from 1mg of klonopin to 0.5mg was absolutely paralyzing.  Now I am back to 1mg a day and still am in misery.  My doctor is switching me over to 15mg of valium and says I may need to be on it the rest of my life.  Is 15mg a good switch over equivalent as I am hearing 20mg would be more appropriate?

Scot,

Based on my crossover, I also found Ashton's equivalency to be sound advice. My K to V crossover went relatively well (it wasn't without bumps).  I also based my crossover using her timetable and found that to be reasonable as well. 

Regarding "need to be on it the rest of your life" ....personally I don't agree with that statement.  At one time I fantasized about getting to 1.0 or .5 mg K and just staying there, but learned that wasn't an option (for me).  Now that I'm on a lower dose of benzo, my mind is getting clearer, thus decision making is based on reality, rather than an uninhibited mind.

Another item to note...during the aging process, it's possible our brain/body develop conditions which need pertinent medication and it's possible the new medications .....may interact with a benzo.  As Pamster suggested, it's your brain, your body and these decisions are yours.

PS: Congratulations in tapering from 6 mg K down to 1.......that is huge !!!

Breck

Hi Scotty2Hotty,

I'm answering your PM to me here on your thread because it's easier for me to keep things out of the open forum.  I took Klonopin for about 5 years but my doses increased over time, I think it's terrible you were prescribed that high dose right out of the gate. 

Your taper thus far I'm sure has been brutal, I hope the crossover goes well for you, you deserve a medal for tapering down to 1 mg.

Hi Scotty2Hotty,

I'm answering your PM to me here on your thread because it's easier for me to keep things out of the open forum.  I took Klonopin for about 5 years but my doses increased over time, I think it's terrible you were prescribed that high dose right out of the gate. 

Your taper thus far I'm sure has been brutal, I hope the crossover goes well for you, you deserve a medal for tapering down to 1 mg.

Hey Scotty,

As Pamster said, it's best to keep tapering info transparent (also in the rules), for your safety, each person will have their own opinion, based on their experience, etc...... Ultimately, it should be you who decides what it best for you.

Regarding K to V crossover this is only my experience (others will differ).  For me, I came off clonazepam WAY too fast, a very bad experience and hit a wall.  From that, I finally decided to try the K to V route, and it's working for me.  Please note, based on my experience, Valium is not a "magic bullet", not totally comfortable. However, it's allowed me to get to a lower dose of benzo.  From what I've read on BB, others tolerate the switch (some better than others) and some ultimately go another route.

The "V" portion of my taper isn't all that long. Even recently, I hit a rough patch and publicly reached out to others to obtain multiple views.  We're here to help each other, so please keep us in the loop !

Breck