Severe fatigue persists...and persists...

[Ch...]

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced severe fatigue throughout their taper? In my case the fatigue is multi-causal and pre-dates w/d but man, is it bad… I have read posts from people who appear to have had no pre-existing fatigue conditions but have been thoroughly laid low by their s/x.

As I move towards the sixth and hopefully final year of my taper, with about 15% to go, I am really looking for some hope that when I'm finally off this poison I might a bit of energy back.

I've been hammered with fatigue since my first taper attempt 4 years ago. I'm now going on my third year of my valium taper and fatigue has been a constant for me. I can no longer work except for a little part time stuff from home. My fatigue is scary and makes you feel like there is something more sinister going on it's there when I wake up and satys will me all day long

..oddly enough of I do get any type of small hope it's at the end of the day when I should be going to be bed.

DMW, you descrbee excatly how I feel. As does your moniker. I feel the benzos cause fatigue twice over - drowsiness from the sedation plus tiredbess from the w/d. 

Did you have fatigue issues pre-w/d?

DMW, you descrbee excatly how I feel. As does your moniker. I feel the benzos cause fatigue twice over - drowsiness from the sedation plus tiredbess from the w/d. 

Did you have fatigue issues pre-w/d?

Sorry you're suffering with this fatigue too.

I was a working machine before benzos it was nothing for me to put in 60+ hours a week and still be active with hiking and cycling

That's really interesting what you say about the fatigue. I'm month 2 of being completely benzo-free, after 7 years of benzos, and the type of fatigue I feel post-benzos is very different to the type of fatigue I felt with benzos. The benzo fatigue was the sort of tiredness that makes you sleep. But the tiredness I feel now, is more like the sort of tiredness you get after a really stressful experience. And the muscle aches I get feel like the sort of muscle fatigue you get after you suffer from muscle atrophy (eg: when you have spent a long time not moving around, eg: in a hospital bed). I'm hoping that with a gradual step towards retraining, I might "re-educate" my muscles not to feel so tired, if that makes sense. A slow programme of a gradually increasing exercise regime. That's the plan, but I guess I will have to see what the ongoing Benzo-free months ahead throw at me. Very best of luck with things and let us know if you come across any tips on what makes the tiredness more manageable.  :) :) :)

Interesting. I can't offer any magic formula for dealing with the fatigue apart form the obvious ones of more rest, sleep and avoiding stress. Plus mindfulness and general self care that are gfood for us anyway.

I speculate that you feel more "wired" because you ave lost the sedating effect of the benzos (as I said above I believe they have a twofold fatigue-uinducuing action, sedraoin and w/d s/x. So maybe your system is getting a bounce from being benzo free while also adjustng to w/d still?

Just my two cents' worth. People who are actually past the winning post are probably better placed to answer than me.  Good luck. 

Interesting. I can't offer any magic formula for dealing with the fatigue apart form the obvious ones of more rest, sleep and avoiding stress. Plus mindfulness and general self care that are gfood for us anyway.

I speculate that you feel more "wired" because you ave lost the sedating effect of the benzos (as I said above I believe they have a twofold fatigue-uinducuing action, sedraoin and w/d s/x. So maybe your system is getting a bounce from being benzo free while also adjustng to w/d still?

Just my two cents' worth. People who are actually past the winning post are probably better placed to answer than me.  Good luck.

That makes a lot of sense. Cheers for that. Yeah, my brain clearly is still finding its way in terms of how it responds to the messages it is receiving. Made the foolish mistake of taking just a regular "off the pharmacy-shelf" sleep-enhancer last night, and although I got a better sleep, my brain is really paying for it today in terms of more dizziness and confusion than in previous weeks. It was "just" an antihystamine but a really stupid thing to do in retrospect.

Fatigue is definitely a benzo classic side effect along with insomnia. I'm at about 5 1/2 years into my taper and fatigue has probably been with me along the whole journey. Not sure how much of it is/was due to not having any sleep at night versus just the taper itself. Brutal either way. Fatigue has increased lately and now the benzo "flu-ish" type of thing is there too...a little chilled, nausea at times, foggy head, etc. That part of it comes and goes, but I just try to roll with it. There's a finish line out there somewhere for us!! :) . Take care

• 2 weeks later...

Brutal is indeed the word.

My worst fear is that when I get to the finish line, hopefully in about a year, I will feel no better, But the hope that I will is the only thing keeping me going right now. in my netherworld of chronic fatigue + sleep apnoea + benzo w/d, sometimnes finding solace only with fellow travellers through this dark tunnel.

Where is the light?