Scared, Seeking support for stopping longterm Ambien use.

[Ka...]

I want support for stopping ambien and hope to read how others have managed.

Have taken 10mg for over 16 years. Fear of what it has done and is doing to me is not as great as the fear of not sleeping at all, enough, etc. I have medical conditions that are made worse with poor or less sleep. It's randomly not working for me and I dread sleepless nights.  I am under a doctor's care but what they have to offer has not helped me and he would like me off ambien.

I've started to taper but gone back up in relation to recent disasters around me, tragic loss of life and natural--both this Summer and affecting me emotionally. But then unable to go back down.

I also feel like thyroid medication interferes with sleep. I want to learn from others' experience. Thank you.

Hello KachinaBirdsong!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm so sorry Ambien has stopped working for you after all this time and that circumstances have been so hard.  Unfortunately it isn't unusual to reach tolerance with these drugs. It's great you found this forum -  you'll find good information and support that can make all the difference in helping you taper successfully.  This is a community of members who understand what you're going through and what you can expect.  Sleep issues are a very common topic of discussion.  You'll find many helpful ideas for how to cope with sleep problems

We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer depending on you symptoms.  This helps keep withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and ensure you're able to function as well as possible.  Many members choose to go even more slowly, often letting their taper be guided by symptoms.

Please browse the forum and feel free to post.  These links may be a good place to start. 

Please check out this board to see options for tapering: Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) You can start a new topic asking for suggestions pertaining to your situation.

It's incredibly helpful to connect with others who understand what you're going through so you may want to start a new topic expressing your worries here: Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

A couple more links that you might like to check out:

Z-drug Withdrawal Support Group 

Insomnia   

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you joined us! 

Brighterday    :)