Slow tapers

[Ma...]

I am not sure this is the proper place for thisa. Obviously I have had a pretty long taper though i never planned for that I post on threads where people have been on pretty high doses and are coming off quickly and having problems. I comment that they might consider slowing down but others, who have generally only started tapers chime in reassuring people they are close an and keep going. Generally it seemed that Ashton and the general consenus, advises people it may take about a year. But for long term heavy users, I believe people should be contemplating a two to three year taper

I'm not sure what you wish to discuss here.  Tapers are individual processes which in my opinion should be designed according to symptoms, lifestyle requirments and health needs.  No two are alike just as no two of us are alike, so putting timelines on them seems arbitrary.  I realize Professor Ashton put them on timelines as do most medical professionals and when we embark on them we typically have something in mind but reality sets in and most realize they have to make adjustments according to their individual needs.

Pamster I would hate to think conforming to medical orthodoxy should serve as a shield from criticism

If everyone makes adjustments to individual needs remind what the purpose is here ?

And if you don't mind save me the tautologies

Pamster I would hate to think conforming to medical orthodoxy should serve as a shield from criticism

If everyone makes adjustments to individual needs remind what the purpose is here ?

Thats why support works so much better than anything but general advice.. Probs why (in part) the long term members slow up on giving specific advices..

-“Ashton is a good general place to start.. From there, do your best, and adjust as needed..” -kinda thing..

Would hate to entrap those that can come off fast (as per “Dr speeds”) with an “extended” taper..!!

Remember we must look pretty damn odd to those that can dump a hefty usage with 25% reductions over say 4 weeks..!!

From my view, the main problem is people attempting to apply their own situation to others, but it goes both ways too.. -I feel people can discount advice unnecessarily simply due to difference in situation, meds, etc..

I wonder if you read the same posts as I did yesterday, which gave me a “hmmmmm” moment..

-if so, I looked at it as a singular opinion thrown at random.. -Not worth dragging up the specifics though, imo..

:)

MattNapa,

I still don't understand what you wish to discuss, apparently I guessed wrong.  Are you suggesting that anyone who uses benzo's long term at large doses should plan on a 2-3 year taper but everyone else can get away with a year? 

And what do you mean about "what the purpose is here"?  Are you talking about BenzoBuddies or tapers in general.  I don't understand why you're being combative when I was simply trying to bring some life to your thread, believe me, I won't make that mistake again.

As for the "this place has really fallen off" statement, I wish there weren't a need for this forum, I wish we didn't have new members signing up every day, I wish the medical community would make us obsolete, I wish there were no more people suffering from this terrible condition but they are and we're still necessary and needed no matter how you see it.

Pamster

I am not sure i deserve to be called combative Is there terminology you would suggest I should have used when I disagree with your statements?

What the propose here is was in response to this

realize they have to make adjustments according to their individual needs.

I doubt anyone disagrees with this, but it would seem the suggestion is that my comments were in some way at odds with this?

Everyone has a right to contribute and in a sense all opinions are of equal value, but there is something to be sad for those who have spent some time in the show versus those who are beginning the tapetring process. there is also the issue of supportive comments. I think we all want to support people but when the support blends it's way into advice, intentionally or not, there may be a different set of criteria in play

In regards to Ashton, maybe I am incorrect in believing the general advice implies that most people can off in approximately one year

I am not sure i deserve to be called combative Is there terminology you would suggest I should have used when I disagree with your statements?

What the propose here is was in response to this

realize they have to make adjustments according to their individual needs.

I doubt anyone disagrees with this, but it would seem the suggestion is that my comments were in some way at odds with this?

Everyone has a right to contribute and in a sense all opinions are of equal value, but there is something to be sad for those who have spent some time in the show versus those who are beginning the tapetring process. there is also the issue of supportive comments. I think we all want to support people but when the support blends it's way into advice, intentionally or not, there may be a different set of criteria in play

Perhaps the criteria you mention becomes, -For every opinion, the polar opposite might also be true (or what eventuates at least..)

Yes, you might need to be much clearer on what exactly is “bugging” you.. (Im not immune to being “bugged” either).. More the better if its productive though..

If its differing opinion on a thread, -Well, thats life, and how things work in a peer based support/discussion forum.. Buyer beware, due diligence, and all that..

If its about a specific tapering protocol, perhaps one you would like to see promoted more, thats infinitely complex and individual..

Title: Slow Tapers...

-yes, some do.. Some dont...

-Some can, some cant..

-Some should, some shouldnt...

All Just my opinion or thoughts though...

Thanks Cantfly  The most succinct version is perhaps there was no acknowledgement on the thread in question, that this is indeed a controversy and someone could at least acknowledge that considering slowing is an option And perhaps just disappointing that none of those who either have used slower tapers, or who believed in the idea showed up. I understand that is not going to happen on every thread and I fully confess mu buggededness is not necessarily justified

Thanks Cantfly  The most succinct version is perhaps there was no acknowledgement on the thread in question, that this is indeed a controversy and someone could at least acknowledge that considering slowing is an option And perhaps just disappointing that none of those who either have used slower tapers, or who believed in the idea showed up. I understand that is not going to happen on every thread and I fully confess mu buggededness is not necessarily justified

Ahh, yes, in-house demographics and sociological aspects (I hesitate to say “issues”..)..

-Im gunna stick with the “it all comes out in the wash at the end of the day” theory.. Not to discount that there may be some collateral damage, which I suspect is what your concern is... You wouldnt be on your own, but I guess it helps me to step right back and look at it with an evolutionary perspective, which for me spans BB’s timeline in years, and isnt seperate from the influences of my own discontinuations and journey, suffering and triumphs..

-lol, now who’s being cryptic.. :)

Take care Matt..

• 2 weeks later...

I am not sure this is the proper place for thisa. Obviously I have had a pretty long taper though i never planned for that I post on threads where people have been on pretty high doses and are coming off quickly and having problems. I comment that they might consider slowing down but others, who have generally only started tapers chime in reassuring people they are close an and keep going. Generally it seemed that Ashton and the general consenus, advises people it may take about a year. But for long term heavy users, I believe people should be contemplating a two to three year taper

I agree based on my personal experience. I've been tapering for 2 years and I anticipate another year. The upside is that at my taper rate I'm doing pretty well.