Seems like many food aggravate my withdrawals

[li...]

Lemons, onions, dates, garlic, pepper. I get pins and needles or tremors or anxiety and cant sleep. I cant take most supplements in tolerence withdrawals so bad.  I cant imagine how will I survive tapering. Im absolutely terrified. I just had salmon with butter and lemon and that made me go into a panic attack.  I didnt realize lemons can do that. Has anyone heard of this? 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Ma...]

• [...]

• [li...]

• [La...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a lot of food sensitivities at the moment. I do think it's fairly common to be more sensitive when you are going through withdrawals.

I'm especially sensitive to all vitamins at the moment. I have always loved lemons but they started giving me migraines. I got a book on healing migraines through dietary changes and lemons are on the list of trigger foods.

Lemons, onions, dates, garlic, pepper. I get pins and needles or tremors or anxiety and cant sleep. I cant take most supplements in tolerence withdrawals so bad.  I cant imagine how will I survive tapering. Im absolutely terrified. I just had salmon with butter and lemon and that made me go into a panic attack.  I didnt realize lemons can do that. Has anyone heard of this?

The truth is you tapered too fast and that's why you exhibit symptoms. It has nothing to do with the food or supplements. Histamine in food is a myth. So-called "integrative medicine" advertises it, but there is no science behind it. Banana is not a citrus.

Nobody said that banana is a citrus, but that banana is also a histamine liberator like citrus fruits are. And histamine in food is certainly not a myth. Since I started taking proton-pump inhibitors (they also muck DAO enzymes) I get hives whenever I eat high histamine foods, like canned fish.

Nobody said that banana is a citrus, but that banana is also a histamine liberator like citrus fruits are. And histamine in food is certainly not a myth. Since I started taking proton-pump inhibitors (they also muck DAO enzymes) I get hives whenever I eat high histamine foods, like canned fish.

I wonder how banana liberates histamine form the mast cells. Do you have a mechanism?

To say her reaction had nothing to do with food is ridiculous and irresponsible. Yes she may have tapered too fast but that may be the cause of her hypersensitivity to certain foods. We have a girl here who had to re-instate because of a reaction to MSG.

I try to avoid foods that are high in glutamate especially free glutamate like aged cheese, cured ham, and fermented miso. MSG is pure glutamate.

To say her reaction had nothing to do with food is ridiculous and irresponsible. Yes she may have tapered too fast but that may be the cause of her hypersensitivity to certain foods. We have a girl here who had to re-instate because of a reaction to MSG.

I try to avoid foods that are high in glutamate especially free glutamate like aged cheese, cured ham, and fermented miso. MSG is pure glutamate.

Glutamate or MSG that you ingest does not go into your brain or affect brain function:

https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/494782

Again, it's a myth

Don't listen to this guy. If you have a reaction to certain foods or supplements avoid them. Some have been thrown into terrible waves because of it. Again irresponsible advice.

Don't listen to this guy. If you have a reaction to certain foods or supplements avoid them. Some have been thrown into terrible waves because of it. Again irresponsible advice.

Don't listen to the science. The best is to avoid all food.

You can find scientific articles to justify anything. Why do you think most restaurants have quit using MSG? Because people were having bad reactions like brain fog and confusion. Don't tell me it doesn't affect the brain

Hello to all. I'd like to express what I know are proven facts on this topic but firstly, NOBODY should tell someone else what doesn't cause them a reaction. As we all know, facts are facts. Fact is our brains have been injured, damaged, altered from normal functioning or whatever you want to call it. Under normal circumstances certain foods, supplements, chemicals, dyes, additives, preservatives etc wouldn't bother MOST people. There are exceptions because people have allergies to things. Since our brains are in withdrawal/repair mode, it's common sense ( facts) that it will be sensitive to any given thing....that includes foods. Nearly EVERY food has glutamate. It's very close to impossible to completely rid your diet of it. BUT, some foods contain high amounts especially once you cook them. So, it's WISE to avoid those foods while recovering. You're already ingesting glutamate when you eat. Your brain can handle that amount. And if it was healed, it could handle more. When this isn't the case, MSG Soy Seasonings and/or histamine foods can set off huge waves. This is a fact! You can have 2 people taking the same drug in the same amount for the same length of time. One will have a bad reaction to eating spaghetti and the other ones will have no reaction. It's their individual personalized brain injury that determines the reactions. In withdrawal, you could even eat spaghetti one month & be fine but next month you can't. That's because you've gotten to a point where it's under construction. I hope this helps/ makes sense. Btw, a certified dietitian explained this to me. She said that's why kids with autism should be careful of high glutamate foods. Your body manufacturers it anyway.

Hello to all. I'd like to express what I know are proven facts on this topic but firstly, NOBODY should tell someone else what doesn't cause them a reaction. As we all know, facts are facts. Fact is our brains have been injured, damaged, altered from normal functioning or whatever you want to call it. Under normal circumstances certain foods, supplements, chemicals, dyes, additives, preservatives etc wouldn't bother MOST people. There are exceptions because people have allergies to things. Since our brains are in withdrawal/repair mode, it's common sense ( facts) that it will be sensitive to any given thing....that includes foods. Nearly EVERY food has glutamate. It's very close to impossible to completely rid your diet of it. BUT, some foods contain high amounts especially once you cook them. So, it's WISE to avoid those foods while recovering. You're already ingesting glutamate when you eat. Your brain can handle that amount. And if it was healed, it could handle more. When this isn't the case, MSG Soy Seasonings and/or histamine foods can set off huge waves. This is a fact! You can have 2 people taking the same drug in the same amount for the same length of time. One will have a bad reaction to eating spaghetti and the other ones will have no reaction. It's their individual personalized brain injury that determines the reactions. In withdrawal, you could even eat spaghetti one month & be fine but next month you can't. That's because you've gotten to a point where it's under construction. I hope this helps/ makes sense. Btw, a certified dietitian explained this to me. She said that's why kids with autism should be careful of high glutamate foods. Your body manufacturers it anyway.

What you mentioned you heard from a dietitian is anecdotal. However, the article I cited, which is a review article summarizing the results of many many studies (https://www.karger.com/Article/FullText/494782) argues against the notions that (1) ingested glutamate increases blood glutamate levels and (2) that blood glutamate goes into the brain.

It is also important to be accurate with the definition of brain injury. Brain injury is the destruction or degeneration of brain cells. Benzos do not cause the destruction or degeneration of brain cells.

I rather believe in science than in the flying spaghetti monster.

I wonder how banana liberates histamine form the mast cells. Do you have a mechanism?

This scientific paper, at least, refers to bananas being known to release histamine. It also demonstrates a statistically significant difference in blood plasma levels of histamine after following a histamine free diet for four weeks. Why would it be necessary to demonstrate a mechanism? There are lots of scientific theories that are widely accepted by the scientific community where the "how?" is not fully understood.

Of course, we should be mindful that we don't get caught up obsessing over these sensitivities. I would hope that nobody is reading this thread wondering if that banana they had the other day caused a wave of symptoms. I don't think that's likely to be true and there's no way to check. It's not worth thinking about. However, if someone wants to trial eliminating some foods that are rich in histamine, perhaps they'll see some small improvement in symptoms. What's wrong with that?

I would point out that it's impossible to apply the scientific method to individual food insensitivities. The reason for this is that without clones, we are limited to a sample size of one.

You can find scientific articles to justify anything. Why do you think most restaurants have quit using MSG? Because people were having bad reactions like brain fog and confusion. Don't tell me it doesn't affect the brain

Sorry, Jwl, but you have been misled:

https://www.self.com/story/we-all-really-need-to-stop-freaking-out-about-msg

Tell that to the girl who was completely stable before eating MSG and got thrown into such a wave she had to re-instate. You're telling everyone who posted about having a reaction to certain foods or supplements that it's just withdraw. What arrogance. The sad (and dangerous) part is someone heeding your advice and getting thrown into a bad wave like that poor girl

Injury has more than one definition. The certified dietitian I'm referring to has 30 years experience and led the conducting of many studies on this subject. What I'm saying is it's common sense or FACT that if something has been harmed ( injured) then it won't work properly! I'm NOT saying that everyone harmed by benzo use will have a problem with foods, histamine so, chemicals, teas, coffee, etc BUT what I'm saying is since it's OBVIOUS that many people recovering from benzo use are sensitive, then others coming along the lines ( new buddies) should be mindful of those triggers. I'm not telling anyone to do or not do, eat or not eat,etc. it's their choice! The thing is....you don't know what you can handle until it's a problem. So, I use wisdom from my great buddies before me and avoid certain things until I'm healed enough. It DOES affect the brain which is why you get reactions. If eating peanuts give me bad reactions, why would I be stupid enough to eat it again. The brain is the master of the body! We'd be wise to listen.

This scientific paper, at least, refers to bananas being known to release histamine. It also demonstrates a statistically significant difference in blood plasma levels of histamine after following a histamine free diet for four weeks. Why would it be necessary to demonstrate a mechanism? There are lots of scientific theories that are widely accepted by the scientific community where the "how?" is not fully understood.

Of course, we should be mindful that we don't get caught up obsessing over these sensitivities. I would hope that nobody is reading this thread wondering if that banana they had the other day caused a wave of symptoms. I don't think that's likely to be true and there's no way to check. It's not worth thinking about. However, if someone wants to trial eliminating some foods that are rich in histamine, perhaps they'll see some small improvement in symptoms. What's wrong with that?

I would point out that it's impossible to apply the scientific method to individual food insensitivities. The reason for this is that without clones, we are limited to a sample size of one.

The link you embedded in your response is inactive when I click on it.

Of course we can use the scientific method to assess food sensitivities. The scientific method is not based on clones.

The widely accepted theories you mentioned become widely accepted exactly because the mechanisms are understood.

Tell that to the girl who was completely stable before eating MSG and got thrown into such a wave she had to re-instate. You're telling everyone who posted about having a reaction to certain foods or supplements that it's just withdraw. What arrogance. The sad (and dangerous) part is someone heeding your advice and getting thrown into a bad wave like that poor girl

I agree with you, J. Tell her it's a myth! Anybody can write an article. Doesn't make it be true

Again, this is so-called anecdotal evidence. Which is not helpful. We don't know what compelled that girl to relapse. We don't even know if there was such a girl.

I supported my point with scientific evidence accessible to everyone. It may make you sad, you may find it arrogant or dangerous, but it is science.

You're right Den. A lot of the fixed glutamate foods are not bad for you. It's the Unami flavored foods that are bad. Foods that are fermented or cured. That's why we crave it so much. It gives us a glutamate high but for those of us who already have too much glutamate, it can be disastrous

I always sigh heavily when I see people trying to say that msg doesn't make you sick. I've always been extremely allergic to it. I get severe migraines, flushed face and chest, heart palpitations, stomach cramps and I'm usually sick for a couple of days. I avoid it like the plague. Sure, maybe most people might not be allergic to it but it's frustrating for those of us who are. It's really a simple question of weeding out foods that make you feel sick. But, trust me, there are plenty of us out there who have food allergies and sensitivities.

The link you embedded in your response is inactive when I click on it.

Of course we can use the scientific method to assess food sensitivities. The scientific method is not based on clones.

The widely accepted theories you mentioned become widely accepted exactly because the mechanisms are understood.

1. Fixed the link.

2. I specified individual food sensitivities which you omitted and consequently altered the meaning of what I wrote. It's obvious by the context in which this conversation is taking place what I meant. I am talking about an individual trying to identify food sensitivities. I'm obviously not denying that food intolerance can be tested in a lab; perhaps some people here are lucky to have that access but my assumption is that most people won't. I didn't imply that the scientific method is based upon clones (hint: clones are necessary for a statistically significant sample size in this specific case). Just like nobody suggested avoiding all foods or anything approaching that. If I suspect that I'm intolerant to a specific food because I can correlate it with the onset of symptoms, I can conduct a sort of experiment but it wouldn't be very scientific. I have no way to adequately control for multiple variables so I can't collect data. If I can't collect data, I can't practice science. If I had a sample of clones, I'd get a lot further. Despite this limitation, it may still be a worthwhile experiment to eliminate specific foods, as long as the only cost is you have to eat different foods.

3. Why do you do that? The theories that I mentioned specifically don't have well understood mechanics. Read my post again if you don't believe me. Since you state it so authoritatively, perhaps you can provide a citation that a scientific theory becomes widely accepted when the mechanism is understood? My understanding is that a theory is judged on how well it explains the data.