3 month WD delay + aggravating factors?

[ph...]

tl;dr I've got a lot of confounding variables in this picture, but has anyone else had withdrawal be completely delayed by months? Meaning you felt normal and thought you were off the hook until being hit with your first wd symptoms late. This wasn't necessarily a wave (or if it was it was my first -- delayed acute).

----

Hey everyone. I rapidly tapered Clonazepam in 2017 which sent me into horrific withdrawal. I reinstated on .07mg and after 3 months it pretty much resolved. I then held .07mg for years while I finished my undergrad degree. I then resumed tapering off that dose at ~10% cuts in June of 2019  -- I didn't notice anything at all negative. I made fairly frequent cuts and finished in December. Didn't notice anything still.

Then in February I moved and had a brief episode of mental terror (my main wd symptom from 2017). I figured it was moving alone + using/tapering off a supplement containing ashwagandha. It resolved after reinstating the supplement.

Early to mid march I rapid tapered off the ashwagandha just to be safe. In late March I had a couple episodes of mental terror and and derealization. They didn't typically last more than a day or two. I discontinued a medication called cyproheptadine (given to me for SSRI-induced akathisia which is why I was give the benzo in the first place as well). I had some dizziness in between the eyes which I attributed to WD from that med. Instead of cyproheptadine, I did some trials of CBD, turmeric, inositol,

Then in late April I saw a doctor who told me I had candida problems, started an anti-candida diet. Had some terror for a couple days (randomly or not randomly, I'm not sure) then it seemed to resolve. A week later I took a day of prescription antifungals and a couple herbal supplements the doc gave me, one included chamomile. A few days after that, I had a cascade of symptoms: terror, derealization, disorientation, confusion. It went away for a few days then the derealization came back seemingly for good (I still have now).

There are SO many moving parts. I really was foolish. But I'm wondering how common it is to feel perfectly okay (WD wise) for a couple months before being hit with symptoms, regardless of other triggers.

I've seen many people report this "delayed withdrawal" effect. Usually between 3-6 months but sometimes a bit later.

I'm very aware of it because I am only 2 months clear with mild and manageable symptoms. I'm not counting my chickens but also trying not to think that bad symptoms are around the corner at any moment.

As for aggravating factors, there's always the possibility that something you did triggered a wave of symptoms but I wouldn't spend too much time on the post mortem. I think it's better to be philosophical. If your symptoms really are so bad, it's probably inevitable that something was going to cause a flare up. If you're not being reckless, you'll probably be able to think of a few things that it could be... but you won't know. I think I'd probably avoid ashwagandha going forward, to be on the safe side, but it's not definitely the culprit. You'll only know the culprit for sure if you did something reckless. You didn't, so don't beat yourself up  :)

This is frustratingly normal. I hope things calm down for you soon. Don't think this is forever  ;)

As for aggravating factors, there's always the possibility that something you did triggered a wave of symptoms but I wouldn't spend too much time on the post mortem. I think it's better to be philosophical. If your symptoms really are so bad, it's probably inevitable that something was going to cause a flare up. If you're not being reckless, you'll probably be able to think of a few things that it could be

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you. It helps because I do think that I'm going a bit crazy trying to pin down what caused what. And if delayed withdrawal/sensitivity is common or at least possible, then it really could have reared its head at any time.

Thanks again