Benign heart paplitations turned into a 150 to 167 heart rate for 20 minutes

[Mi...]

I remember back to my between dose tolerance days almost 2 years ago, when I was not aware my benign heart palpitations were from the benzo Ativan. I figured that out on my own that the palpitations were from benzo tolerance. I read that's common here on BB. I learned that in hindsite.

What I experience are always very infrequent, benign little heart flutters. I would especially get them during tolerance when trying to fall asleep. Once I was off Ativan completely 16 months ago, and into the withdrawal phase I just get them infrequently for a day before my period.

Except for today. We have been moving for the last 10 days, and boy has it been stressful ! I am almost 95% healed from my withdrawal and doing very well. I was fretting this move for months because I did not know if I could physically handle it. I was mustering through it all. Physically drained and sleep deprived. While packing things and bending over I felt a heart palpitation. It started out like any other flutter, but the palpitation didn't stop. My heart gave a big "pump". I felt it. Then things started to "go gray". I felt faint so I got to the floor & put my feet up. Then my heart was racing. 150-165. (I have a "fit bit" I wear.) I could feel my heart racing in my chest. I was trying to slow it down with slow breathing and it was not slowing down. So we called an ambulance. I did not have chest pain. It did not feel like anxiety. Nothing like that. Just a fast heart & feeling faint.

The EMTs said my monitor looked good, & they did a twelve lead ekg. That looked good too. It started to slow down. They felt all looked good & they told me to hydrate & take it easy. I decided not to go to the hospital. The "incident" lasted about 20 minutes. I'm home resting now with a heart rate of 84.

I am mentioning this here on BB because I know there are some people who run into some heart issues in tolerance & withdrawal. I know I had just this one incident today (hopefully that's it). I know stress can cause this. I know heart palpitations are mostly benign. But, I did not know it can make you almost faint and that the heart can speed up and stay fast for a while. It was uncomfortable...and scary.

Nine months ago in December, when I was 7 months Ativan free in my withdrawal, I went to a cardiologist because I was taking the betablocker Metoprolol prescribed by my primary care physician. I was on them for a few years even before the Ativan. I had lost 27 pounds over the last 2 years, and my heart rate was getting kind of low. I had read by doing my own research, and here on BB that beta blockers can cause physiological dependence/withdrawal symptoms which would not be the greatest thing for a person going through benzo withdrawal. I know most people need their betablocker for heart issues. However, I was prescribed them for a very low "high heart rate" that I'd get while walking. When I say "high" I mean 120, which is really normal. (However, It was never a run of a high heart rate in the 150's and 160's like I experienced today.) I also had very low "high blood pressure" occasionally. I decided to visit the cardiologist to see if I really needed the betablocker. He did an EKG which was normal. We talked about the stress echo, 24 hour Holter monitor and stress testing that I had in 2017 which were all also normal. My primary care doctor was also the one that started me on the benzo Ativan & the metoprolol. Guess that guy just likes to prescribe pills. The cardiologist told me to stop the betablocker and that I never really needed it. I tapered but only over a couple weeks which probably should have been a longer to be safe, but I had no issues at all stopping the Metoprolol. No heart issues. No increase in the infrequent little palpitations I was feeling. I have had a completely normal, healthy heart rate and blood pressure ever since without the betablocker for the last nine months, until this incident today.

Has anyone had this issue or a benzo heart related issue? Palpitations or SVT? If so, how did it all start?

I am 16 month benzo free and 95% recovered. (See signature)

Any heart & benzos info appreciated.

My prayers to all of you to get through to recovery.

I had no heart problems prior to Valium. Coming off though I was unaware of the dangers, very uneducated with no explanation on how to taper. I stopped using my Valium 6 months after I had a major surgery. It was sent home with me and I kept taking it bc I wasn’t healing properly and was in a lot of pain.

Looking back I believe I wasn’t healing because of the Valium. I stopped taking it and 2 weeks later my heart went up to 140 resting. Blood pressure 140/95. Usually I was at 90/60.  Still nobody knew it was from the Valium. I called EMTs several times and they agreed my pulse was too high but to rest. Went to the ER several time’s for heart clenching feeling, everyone said I had acid reflux. Until I finally begged a doctor to send me to a cardiologist. They ran a stress test and my heart rate went through the roof  just while walking. Echo showed EF of 35% considered heart failure. Valves not working right. So I was put on carvedilol and Lisinopril. Currently still on it bc my EF hasn’t gone up enough to come off.

But in  hindsight I know now that it was from the Valium that I abruptly stopped. Wish I had known back then what I know now.

I had heart clenching. Flutters. Palpitations  racing. And it started to fail. I get so afraid it’s permanent so I keep taking my heart meds. I hope in the future I won’t need them. Without them my blood pressure is sky high while resting.  I do become afraid of other WD symptoms from it but unfortunately I can’t come off yet. Had Zero heart problems and now I’m 29 with a diagnoses of right sided heart failure and high blood pressure. 

I’m glad to see you’re 95% healed!! That is so great☺️☺️

Thank you everyone for your replies.

We moved over the last couple of weeks and I am still unpacking a bit, but almost done. Even though I am 16 months out, I must admit, the physical and mental stress of the move most definitely fatigued me. It did not set me back in withdrawal, but I am tired and was sleep deprived when the SVT event occured. When I'm tired I do get more heart palpitations (which are very very mild and benign.) I think the extreme physical/mental push was too much for me.

Now that we're settling in, I am resting and taking naps and sleeping more. I think it's going to take me a few weeks to get fully rested. It is what it is.

I've started meditating and it really helps. Setting aside what starts as 10 minutes, or longer at least once a day is a very healthy "feel good" habit to get into. Having been through withdrawal hell, for me, I can just sit and stare at nature and "zone out" for long periods. It comes easy because it is just so enjoyable to sit and do nothing but enjoy my healed brain. It's easy for me to do because it feels good. A great contrast from the akathisia I had experienced for a few months in my withdrawal.

I try to meditate whenever I can. I can actually feel it healing me. The heart palpitations disappear, and I feel calm and recharged physically and mentally.

I think for us in withdrawal we HAVE TO learn to zone out and meditate. It's an essential part of healing our brains and souls.

I have afib which I believe is caused by wd. I never had heart Palps before I started interdose/tolerance  wd. I take electrolytes when they are bad. Sometimes can be caused by dehydration. Try electrolytes next time u have issues they may be all you need. I was put on metoprolol and it made me really sick. X

I have afib which I believe is caused by wd. I never had heart Palps before I started interdose/tolerance  wd. I take electrolytes when they are bad. Sometimes can be caused by dehydration. Try electrolytes next time u have issues they may be all you need. I was put on metoprolol and it made me really sick. X

Shayna-

Thank you for your reply. Are you just drinking Pediolyte? Or Gateraide? How are you getting electrolytes?

What's crazy is that when I went to the ER very very early on before I figured out it was withdrawal, my potassium was low, but just barely abnormally low. I was told "no big deal eat bananas". Prior to this I had some labs with a slightly low magnesium. My doctor said nothing about it. He never addressed it. To me these values are not "up to the doctors interpretation" based on how busy he is that day as to whether he bothers to even mention an abnormal lab.

I have a medical education. Even "slightly" abnormal labs are still abnormal. I'm not saying that the IV pole needs brought out and IV electrolytes needs started. Perhaps when they are "slightly low" IV electrolytes is overkill and can really put electrolytes out of wack.  I don't know. I'm not a doctor, but at least tell the patient to get it in their diet. The low magnesium was completely ignored.

When I'm tired or stressed the heart palpitations start. But, it's still mild, except for that one run of SVT.  I'd prefer for that to never happen again. I have not tried the electrolytes yet. I think I may give it a try.

I just can’t get over this post. I had the same thing happen. With the pump feeling and all. I had low potassium at the ER. I’ve been freaking out about it ever since. I was in normal sinus tachycardia during the episode. But it was so scary. All I do is think about it. It’s ruining my life. I’m so scared of it happening again. I keep trying to tell myself that it was caused by adrenaline. But I don’t remember panicking before it.

Do you think it has to do with adrenaline? Like are we having adrenaline surges without our brain?

I am so worried about it happening again that I can’t even enjoy life

I’m crying as I write this because I’ve never felt so scared and hopeless before. I have serious PTSD from it

Also, you said you had a twelve lead in the ambulance and it looked good. Why are you calling it a SVT episode? SVT is caught on the EKG. If they didn’t tell you that you had SVT when you were symptomatic....I doubt that’s what it was. Or did they tell you that’s what they saw?

I take gastrolite in Australia or pedialite. It’s the tablets that dissolve in water. When my heart is playing up I drink 2 in water. When I was in hospital they said my potassium and magnesium were low so I got an iv for both. Try it and see if it helps. If ur heart is playing up regularly I’d drink it every day. It’s not going to hurt u x

I think the running theme here is electrolytes. My potassium was so low they had me drink straight potassium in the ER.

I also want to point out that I don’t know for sure if withdrawal causes afib. Most people don’t state this. Or maybe it can trigger it - but most people don’t get AFIB from withdrawal.

When I had tachycardia, it was normal, just fast.

I’ve talked to multiple people that have had this happen when their potassium was low.

I’m so happy ur friend is doing well. It’s a scary condition when first diagnosed but difficult in wd because u are already so fatigued when it starts. But I have medication to take if it plays up x

I just can’t get over this post. I had the same thing happen. With the pump feeling and all. I had low potassium at the ER. I’ve been freaking out about it ever since. I was in normal sinus tachycardia during the episode. But it was so scary. All I do is think about it. It’s ruining my life. I’m so scared of it happening again. I keep trying to tell myself that it was caused by adrenaline. But I don’t remember panicking before it.

Do you think it has to do with adrenaline? Like are we having adrenaline surges without our brain?

I am so worried about it happening again that I can’t even enjoy life

I’m crying as I write this because I’ve never felt so scared and hopeless before. I have serious PTSD from it

Also, you said you had a twelve lead in the ambulance and it looked good. Why are you calling it a SVT episode? SVT is caught on the EKG. If they didn’t tell you that you had SVT when you were symptomatic....I doubt that’s what it was. Or did they tell you that’s what they saw?

MeganZ

I don't know what they called the fast rhythm, just that my heart was fast. They didn't use any medical terms and told me to take deep breaths and that should slow it down & it did. By the time they put the monitor on me it was already down to 135 from 167. My fit bit said 150s-167 before they arrived.

I feel bad that you're scared. I watched a few videos on heart palpitations (I get those too, but they're no big deal) and a bit on the fast heart rate and supraventricular tachycardia. I watched York cardiology I believe it's called. A cardiologist Dr. Sanjay Gupta. These videos made me feel a lot better about how heart palpitations are many times benign. I was really tired that day. We have been burning the candle at both ends building a house during covid & moving. I think it is both adrenaline and insomnia that causes this in withdrawal. I'm not a doctor or anything, but I think once we get through the stress of this, most of us are fine including our hearts. But, you're right. The EMTs did not say SVT, so it probably was not. I guess it could just be called tachycardia.

This same Dr Gupta in his videos talks about SVT. He explains what it is and how to self treat. That the heart (without underlying issues) is strong. Good to know for anyone who knows for sure they have a history of SVT. His videos are reassuring. They made me feel a lot better.