Taper from .25mg Klonopin

[su...]

Hi all,

I am using a scale and taper math from benzodrytapermath.com starting this week to taper off of .25mg klonopin.

I am thinking of doing each dose 0.005mg less than previous dose, and that would be completed in 26 days.

Does this sound too fast? I have been stable at .25mg klonopin (.125mg 2x/day) for about 2 months now.

Hi Superpopelectro!

First of all, thank you for providing such an informative signature.  It's so helpful to know what happened when. 

To answer your question, IMO, 26 days is too fast to taper 0.250 mg klonapin, particularly given your past benzo history and WD symptoms.  I'm concerned that, by the time you reach Day 5 of your taper (which is probably about the time you will begin feeling your initial cuts), you will already have reduced your daily dosage by 10% and may find yourself in the position of wanting/needing to updose.  (Updosing should be a last resort, for various reasons.)

From reading your previous posts, my understanding is that your job is somewhat demanding, so you can't afford to have a meltdown at work.  At the same time, you obviously prefer not to drag this taper out any longer than necessary. 

Would it be realistic for you to cut 0.005 mg one day and then hold at that dosage for a day before the next cut?  That might keep you from being blindsided by the cumulative effects of cuts you made several days prior--and you could always hold for longer if things get too hairy.  Alternatively, what about tapering by 0.002 mg daily over the course of ~113 days (and then jump at 0.025 mg)?

Either of these would still be a fairly rapid taper but would be less likely to set you up to fail and would offer you more breathing room to hold at a relatively comfortable dosage if symptoms suddenly flare up.   

Just my 2 cents.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do!

Koko Lee

Wondering how often you take the Ambien since you say you take it as needed.  Please remember that z-drugs work pretty much the same as benzo's, I hope you won't be supplementing your Klonopin taper by adding more Ambien.

Great signature by the way!

@[Ko...]

@Pamster thanks for the concern. I take Ambien every other day. I will not be supplementing Klonopin taper by adding more Ambien. I have come off of Ambien in the past without much effort. The worst w/d I get from Ambien is rebound insomnia that last for ~2 days, and then "normal" sleep returns. I do have an rx for Rozerem which I am going to switch to this weekend when I have some days off. From research, it appears Rozerem is better as it's not a z-drug and works on melatonin receptors.

Hello again, Superpopelectro!

I think you're making a wise decision to go "low and slow".  Towards the end, you may even find it easier to reduce by 0.001 mg.  As they say around here, it's a marathon, not a sprint, so it's important to stay flexible about your tapering schdedule.

One other thing--and you probably already know this--it would be best not to try to stop Ambien during your klonapin taper.  That would be a double-whammy to your system that could sabbotage both efforts.  Just because you have had no trouble discontinuing Ambien in the past doesn't mean you won't in the future.  (Benzos and Z-drugs are notorious for setting their own new ground rules when you least expect it.)  So if you can arrange it, please try to switch your sleep med and get good and stable before beginning to reduce your klonapin. 

Please stay in touch, and let us know how things are going!

Koko Lee

I second what Koko Lee suggested, best not to add or subtract any other medications at this time, let's tackle, subdue and vanquish the Klonopin beast first!  :oXo:

if you can arrange it, please try to switch your sleep med and get good and stable before beginning to reduce your klonapin.

let's tackle, subdue and vanquish the Klonopin beast first!  :oXo:

LOL!  Before.  After.  Just not during:laugh: