Looking after someone tapering off Ativan

[Ma...]

Hi, I'm helping someone taper of Ativan ( 5mgs) using the substitution method -helping in that I am here to support. His psychiatrist has recommended reducing the night time dose of Ativan which is 2mgs and substituting 1.5 mgs of the Ativan with 10 mgs of Diazepam ie his night time dose will now be 0,5 Ativan and 10 mgs Diazepam. The day time doses will remain the same for now at 1.5mgs Ativan in the morning and 1.5 mgs Ativan early afternoon. I must admit I am very apprehensive for him. Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Koko Lee, Thanks for taking the time time to reply and pointing me to that post.  The idea of front loading makes a lot of sense. He has started the substitution and so far it's not been too bad. The Diazepam has actually helped him to 'rest' more. He is now ( as of two days ago ) on 1mg of Ativan and 5 mgs of Diazepam in the morning, 1.5 mgs of Ativan early afternoon and 0.5 mgs Ativan plus 10mgs Diazepam in the evening. I expect the next change will be made in the next week or two.  He is following through with the psychiatrists recommendations so we'll see. Thanks again for the advice.