What diet do you recommend for PAWS?

[Ni...]

• 3 weeks later...
Bump! Asking for a friend with severe muscle rigidity due to past use of Lexapro klonopin (which she went off cold turkey before tapering it) and cypro.

Heard that keto diet suppresses glutamate excitoxicity. Also heard than plants rich in HDAC inhibitors (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, onions, garlic) help repair GABAA receptors. However I wouldn't know either way.

• 2 weeks later...
[4d...]

I don't know if I can recomend it but its the only diet that helped me. Its called the GARD diet which stands for the Glutamate Aspartame Restriction diet. It is an epilepsy diet that does not require you to get rid of carbs. On top of this I completely avoid all excitotoxins such as MSG and aspartame aswell as every other free glutamate ingredients such as yeast extract etc. It is very restrictive but I've been doing it for the last 6 months and my symptoms are very much under control. I do not get random waves and windows while on this diet, if I get a reaction it is because I have not stuck to the diet or I have used a skin product that contains an ingredient which does not agree with me.

If your interested in the diet heres the link https://dogtorj.com/g-a-r-d/what-is-the-g-a-r-d-summary/

I basically eat the same three things every day, chicken, lamb and sweet potato. I use coconut oil as my cooking oil. I have checked my bloods and I am not deficient in anything and macronutrient ratios are good. The only thing I supplemet is Omega 3 100% EPA as I react badly to DHA

I don't know if I can recomend it but its the only diet that helped me. Its called the GARD diet which stands for the Glutamate Aspartame Restriction diet. It is an epilepsy diet that does not require you to get rid of carbs. On top of this I completely avoid all excitotoxins such as MSG and aspartame aswell as every other free glutamate ingredients such as yeast extract etc. It is very restrictive but I've been doing it for the last 6 months and my symptoms are very much under control. I do not get random waves and windows while on this diet, if I get a reaction it is because I have not stuck to the diet or I have used a skin product that contains an ingredient which does not agree with me.

If your interested in the diet heres the link https://dogtorj.com/g-a-r-d/what-is-the-g-a-r-d-summary/

I basically eat the same three things every day, chicken, lamb and sweet potato. I use coconut oil as my cooking oil. I have checked my bloods and I am not deficient in anything and macronutrient ratios are good. The only thing I supplemet is Omega 3 100% EPA as I react badly to DHA

How do you prepare the chicken and lamb? My friend is interested but she only has a microwave.

Why do you eat sweet potatoes instead of normal ones?

[4d...]

How do you prepare the chicken and lamb? My friend is interested but she only has a microwave.

I usually cook the chicken in the oven and fry the lamb in coconut oil. I don't know use any seasoning because alot of seasoning contains msg or something similar. I don't know how you would prepare this with only a microwave without geting processed microwave meals which I wouldn't recommend as most processed foods have added glutamates in as preservatives etc. I get the meat from a butchers usually or from a supermarket if it doesn't have anything added to the meat

[4d...]

Why do you eat sweet potatoes instead of normal ones?

Its just what is recomended on the website of the GARD diet page. Also sweet potatoes contain a lot more nutrients than regular potatos. It says on the GARD diet page you can stick with regular potatos if you really want to but sweet potatoes are recommended

What are the symptoms you get from DHA?

[4d...]

My usual PAWS symptoms intensify, so my fasciculations intensify and my parasthesia increases. I remember seeing something about DHA activating glutamate or something along those lines. So I just stick with 100% EPA which works great for me. I buy the Carlson brand off iHerb they are called EPA elite gems. I poke a hole in the gelatin capsules and squeeze the fish oil into my mouth because eating gelatin causes me to flare also. I have lots of sensitivities as a result of my withdrawal

My usual PAWS symptoms intensify, so my fasciculations intensify and my parasthesia increases. I remember seeing something about DHA activating glutamate or something along those lines. So I just stick with 100% EPA which works great for me. I buy the Carlson brand off iHerb they are called EPA elite gems. I poke a hole in the gelatin capsules and squeeze the fish oil into my mouth because eating gelatin causes me to flare also. I have lots of sensitivities as a result of my withdrawal

My friend has major sensitivity symptoms she wants to get on a diet that heals her and she wants to know if she can use any condiments like pepper salt butter and she would like to know why you're not eating any other vegetables. And can she eat eggs instead of the chicken and lamb?

[4d...]

My friend has major sensitivity symptoms she wants to get on a diet that heals her and she wants to know if she can use any condiments like pepper salt butter and she would like to know why you're not eating any other vegetables. And can she eat eggs instead of the chicken and lamb?

I use salt, I don't use any other condiments, pepper may be fine I just personally don't like it and haven't tried it. I don't use butter as I am lactose intolernt and the GARD recommends cutting out dairy. I don't use the common sauces such as ketchup, hotsauce etc. because they usually contain some form of MSG which can be hidden using deceptive names such at yeast extract etc.

I don't eat other vegetables primarily because I don't like them, the GARD only recommends cutting out nightshade vegetables and says all other vegetables are fine, however I have found Cruciferous vegetables contain alot of folate; folate can increase the free pool of glutmate in the body. I have checked my blood level and am not deficient in folate so I know that what I am eating is getting enough folate without it causing me issues. So if you want to eat vegetables I would personally avoid nightshades cruciferous vegetables.

The GARD diet says eggs are great, I personally don't eat them because I don't like egg. But they are full of nutrition.

As with anything your milage may vary, I have just found that eating according to this diet has controlled my symptoms to the point that they don't get in the way of my life. I am not saying that this diet is healing me because only time can heal us but it is keeping my symptoms manageable.

If you would like to read more about the GARD diet here is the link: https://dogtorj.com/g-a-r-d/what-is-the-g-a-r-d-summary/

If you want to read about excessive folate and glutmate: https://metabolichealing.com/glutamate-excitotoxicity-the-brain-the-nervous-system-nutritional-solutions/

If you want to find out all the deceptive names for MSG: https://www.leavesoflife.com/glutamate-food-list/

• 2 months later...

I use salt, I don't use any other condiments, pepper may be fine I just personally don't like it and haven't tried it. I don't use butter as I am lactose intolernt and the GARD recommends cutting out dairy. I don't use the common sauces such as ketchup, hotsauce etc. because they usually contain some form of MSG which can be hidden using deceptive names such at yeast extract etc.

I don't eat other vegetables primarily because I don't like them, the GARD only recommends cutting out nightshade vegetables and says all other vegetables are fine, however I have found Cruciferous vegetables contain alot of folate; folate can increase the free pool of glutmate in the body. I have checked my blood level and am not deficient in folate so I know that what I am eating is getting enough folate without it causing me issues. So if you want to eat vegetables I would personally avoid nightshades cruciferous vegetables.

The GARD diet says eggs are great, I personally don't eat them because I don't like egg. But they are full of nutrition.

As with anything your milage may vary, I have just found that eating according to this diet has controlled my symptoms to the point that they don't get in the way of my life. I am not saying that this diet is healing me because only time can heal us but it is keeping my symptoms manageable.

If you would like to read more about the GARD diet here is the link: https://dogtorj.com/g-a-r-d/what-is-the-g-a-r-d-summary/

If you want to read about excessive folate and glutmate: https://metabolichealing.com/glutamate-excitotoxicity-the-brain-the-nervous-system-nutritional-solutions/

If you want to find out all the deceptive names for MSG: https://www.leavesoflife.com/glutamate-food-list/

Hey I was wondering if anxiety sensations are triggered by certain foods for you? My friend has been on the gard diet for 6 weeks and then she ate some foods outside of that and she had a terrible reaction to it which lasted for days the foods were tomaroes fresh oregano leaves and stems peppermint candy cane pickles and mozzarella cheese. Her reaction was muscle rigidity and anxiety sensations. Can she transition to foods outside of the gard diet and if so how? She thinks her body adjusted to the gard diet so now she thinks she can't tolerate all the normal foods.