Remeron. Moderator

[be...]

I’ve been taking it for about ten days now. Still getting used to it.

I take 1.5 K and want to start a taper. I saw an article re use one remeron to help with the depression and sleep with the taper. Can anyone comment?

I realize the implications of another drug which requires a taper. I decided to take it for sleep because the lack of sleep resulting from my cymbalta led me to self harm.

Plan is recover from cymbalta, taper the K whilst taking remeron.

Anyone?  I’m planning about a year and a half taper.

I’ve been taking it for about ten days now. Still getting used to it.

I take 1.5 K and want to start a taper. I saw an article re use one remeron to help with the depression and sleep with the taper. Can anyone comment?

I realize the implications of another drug which requires a taper. I decided to take it for sleep because the lack of sleep resulting from my cymbalta led me to self harm.

Plan is recover from cymbalta, taper the K whilst taking remeron.

Anyone?  I’m planning about a year and a half taper.

Works for me.

Remeron basically works like cymbalta but hits way more neurotransmitters.

You manage to contradict yourself in one sentence.

No, I didn't.

No, I didn't.

Cymbalta is an serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor whereas Remeron has no effect on serotonin or norepinephrine uptake. Otherwise, you are right, they are both little pills that you put into your mouth.

What it really comes down to is that we are all different in how we respond to meds in recovery. What works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Some ppl have done ok with remeron, I was definitely not one of them.

Keep in mind that sometimes in benzo recovery meds do not respond in a way that they typically do and some ppl have paradoxical responses.

Use caution and wisdom. Again, we are all different. :)

No, I didn't.

Cymbalta is an serotonin–norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor whereas Remeron has no effect on serotonin or norepinephrine uptake. Otherwise, you are right, they are both little pills that you put into your mouth.

Remeron definitely hits serotonin and norepinephrine.

Mirtazapine doesn't target monoamine transporters, only monoamine receptors. Duloxetine specifically targets monoamine transporters, and weakly affects a few serotonin receptors.

Ok, big question I have.

I’m trying to get my brain to heal from cymbalta use. I’m in bad shape. Lack of sleep from stopping it led to a self harm incident. At this point the remeron gives me 8 hours sleep but the fact that it hits, not holds, seratonin and norepinephrine sites, will my brain be able to heal from the original cymbalta damage.  The dr will just give me another pill.  I want out

I wound up on benzos because of a too fast remeron taper. 30 mg to 0 in 3 weeks.

I went back on Remeron PRN when I was at the end of my benzo rope and stayed on 3.75 for 3 years through a benzo taper and 3 years after.

I am 7 months off Remeron now and in the worst of the paws. Don't know how or if it will end. Insomnia for the last 4 months.

I might not have been able to do the benzo taper wihout the remeron. It's a real trade off.

Keep it low dose, and try to get off of all these things by the time you're 60. Thats my takeaway.

Ok, big question I have.

I’m trying to get my brain to heal from cymbalta use. I’m in bad shape. Lack of sleep from stopping it led to a self harm incident. At this point the remeron gives me 8 hours sleep but the fact that it hits, not holds, seratonin and norepinephrine sites, will my brain be able to heal from the original cymbalta damage.  The dr will just give me another pill.  I want out

I wouldn't worry about what Remeron targets or not. I understand you want out. I think it's possible to get out, we just have to taper and be patient.

No, I didn't.

Remeron definitely hits serotonin and norepinephrine.

That is wrong. Remeron does not hit serotonin. Quite the opposite; it antagonizes serotonin receptors.

No, I didn't.

Ha ha. Mirtazapine's effect on serotonin and norepinephrine is described as weak and that too as an antagonist. It is certainly not an agonist nor reuptake inhibitor of serotonin.

Mirtazapine doesn't target monoamine transporters, only monoamine receptors. Duloxetine specifically targets monoamine transporters, and weakly affects a few serotonin receptors.

Where are you getting your information from? Duloxetine is an SNRI. It affects serotonin receptors as it's principal mode of action. At lower doses its effect on norepinephrine is weak and acts as an SSRI as per some studies.

Where are you getting your information from? Duloxetine is an SNRI. It affects serotonin receptors as it's principal mode of action. At lower doses its effect on norepinephrine is weak and acts as an SSRI as per some studies.

It affects serotonin transporters. It doesn't directly target receptors. That's what SSRIs do, they target transporters, otherwise they wouldn't be called SSRIs but 5-HT agonists.

Whether is hits directly, antagonizes or whatever it still has an affect on serotonin and norepinephrine and a bunch of other receptors. Its a horrible drug with a horrible withdrawal profile. I dont recommend anyone ever go on it. I made that mistake listening to people on this forum. Those people that were praising remeron are still suffering many years later or back on benzos.

Whether is hits directly, antagonizes or whatever it still has an affect on serotonin and norepinephrine and a bunch of other receptors. Its a horrible drug with a horrible withdrawal profile. I dont recommend anyone ever go on it. I made that mistake listening to people on this forum. Those people that were praising remeron are still suffering many years later or back on benzos.

Again, you are only partially correct. That is, the most potent effect of Remeron is not on serotonin or adrenergic receptors, but on histamine H1 receptors.

According to your profile you basically CT-d your benzo about 1-1.5 year ago. So you're still deep in withdrawal from the benzo.  You may ascribe your symptoms to Remeron and some of the symptoms may indeed be due to Remeron but it is hard to really know what causes what in that case.

I have seen posts here about people who tried to stop Remeron while still in benzo withdrawal. Once they stopped Remeron, they had increased symptoms. However, when they then went back on Remeron and waited some more time for their benzo withdrawal to be complete, they easily stopped Remeron.

Again, you are only partially correct. That is, the most potent effect of Remeron is not on serotonin or adrenergic receptors, but on histamine H1 receptors.

According to your profile you basically CT-d your benzo about 1-1.5 year ago. So you're still deep in withdrawal from the benzo.  You may ascribe your symptoms to Remeron and some of the symptoms may indeed be due to Remeron but it is hard to really know what causes what in that case.

I have seen posts here about people who tried to stop Remeron while still in benzo withdrawal. Once they stopped Remeron, they had increased symptoms. However, when they then went back on Remeron and waited some more time for their benzo withdrawal to be complete, they easily stopped Remeron.

Yes. I rapid taper benzo after it turned on me in 3.5 weeks. The remeron was added 8 months off. Never helped and now i have no idea how and when or how fast to get off it. Im just trying to help save others fron going down the polydrugged path. Not know what is from what is the worst. Do i wait another 3 years holding remeron just to realize i should have tapered because i wasnt getting better. No one knows. Most people wouldn't have survived what i am experiencing. Don't know how i am alive to be honest. Wont be for much longer.

Bernard1,

I have been using remeron/mirtazapine since I c/t Xanax and Ambien.  I have found it very helpful with sleep.  I was taking it everyday, but am now down to just a couple of nights a week.  Usually the weekends when I can sleep in and catch up on sleep.  I did not have any issues dropping down from everyday to just a couple.

You will hear repeatedly that everyone is different and what works for me may not work for you.  It is obviously your choice.  If you feel it is helping you and you want to continue that go with that. You can taper off when you are ready. 

Cathy

Bernard1,

I have been using remeron/mirtazapine since I c/t Xanax and Ambien.  I have found it very helpful with sleep. 

Yes, because it's a very potent antihistamine.

It affects serotonin transporters. It doesn't directly target receptors. That's what SSRIs do, they target transporters, otherwise they wouldn't be called SSRIs but 5-HT agonists.

You are right. I misunderstood you.

But tell me, precisely what is the difference between modulating transporters by inhibiting reuptake vs increasing production at receptor point. Does it translate into any material difference and would the two mechanisms affect mood differently?

Hi,

Long story. But mirtazapine had good mood calm effect on me a while back but was afraid of dependency on it too.

Wasn't on it long and a very low dose, and didn't have any problem.

Would it help now for this gabapentin dependency w/d crap?

Or am I just so anxious from neuro lyme late stage and no way of healing from lyme and it's neuro and body damage?

What is the natural version of mirtazapine? I've researched it, dopamine in the only available form mucuna supplements. But it wouldn't be the same effects.

Finished the valium with final help from phenobarb, but now stuck on gabapentin now down to 400mg. Bad w/d down to 200mg. Makes me sad. That was with 5mg liquid cuts from a 100mg  capsule.

What's is missing?

These useless docs "never heard of anyone not able to get off their gabapentin" Well some can ptl. But some can't. I'm also stuck on glutathione- nutraceutical.

infoshare

What it really comes down to is that we are all different in how we respond to meds in recovery. What works for one does not necessarily work for another.

Some ppl have done ok with remeron, I was definitely not one of them.

Keep in mind that sometimes in benzo recovery meds do not respond in a way that they typically do and some ppl have paradoxical responses.

Use caution and wisdom. Again, we are all different. :)

Thank you for saying that, as I have found that to be the case with me in all the bp drugs I've taken (16 in total). I finally had to give up as doctors went from one pill to another. I never had anyone explain it to me and thought that SOME PILL had to work. Wrong. I ruined my health starting and stopping pills because of paradoxical reactions.