Bananas

[92...]

[92...]
Before my rescue doses caused a setback I used to eat a lot of overripe bananas as they were beneficial for my GERD, which before this setback was one of my only real withdrawal symptoms. I ate one ripe banana today and it revved me up. Is there some theory on why this is the case? Could this be because of rapid changes in blood sugar level? Or is it because of tryptophan in bananas?

Geez..I learn something new every week on here!

I don't get revved up from it, but bananas and other certain foods cause me to sneeze after. I knew this had to do with histamine..but I did not know there were "histamine liberators".

I love my bananas. 

I don't think it would put me off eating them, if I were you. I'd chalk it up as a one off unless it keeps happen. It's such a good, healthy food to eat at a time like this. I'd go along with the theory that sugar has something to do with it. If they keep giving you problems and you know it's bananas, that's different.

I don't know. If I continue experimenting with eating bananas it would have to be in the morning so I have the time to wind down if they rev me up.

I was prescribed pantoprazole for my GERD and it has started giving me hives (proton-pump inhibitors also inhibit DAO enzymes). Since I don't want to continue taking hydroxyzine (I'd rather avoid developing iatrogenic histamine intolerance, like people on mirtzapine tend to do) I bought DAO supplementation. Of course, DAO enzymes only break down external histamine and don't do anything for internal histamine, but then again, N-methyltransferase that breaks down internal histamine is unnafected by proton-pump inhibitors.

I don't know. If I continue experimenting with eating bananas it would have to be in the morning so I have the time to wind down if they rev me up.

Don't you think it's hasty to identify bananas as being problematic because you had some symptoms after eating one? They're a very healthy food that most people will have no problem tolerating in withdrawal. Apparently you have never noticed them to cause a problem before now. I'd have to see a pattern of bananas causing me issues before I eliminated them from my diet. Just because there is some theoretical reason that they could be a problem doesn't mean it applies to you.

Of course it's up to you and it's not like eliminating bananas can't be compensated for with other healthy foods. I just don't think it's good to be so scared of our own shadows, because in trying to dance around the different things that can trigger symptoms, the cure can be worse than what we perceive to be the disease. It's about finding a balance between protecting ourselves and letting paranoia get the better of us.

Well, I'll be the first to admit that my coping mechanism isn't that great. All this stuff is very much new to me. Reading all the horror stories here I consider myself immensely blessed because of it. Naturally, any dietary restrictions I would consider to be temporary.

You seem to be coping alright to me. It's generally a good idea to be mindful of what we consume and the effect different foods can have on us. I think it was a good idea to see if others had problems with bananas, as you have done. It doesn't appear to be a common problem and my hunch is the banana may not have been mostly to blame. However, if you feel more comfortable to leave them for a while, that's alright too. It's only bananas!  :-\

This isn't about bananas per se but i used to eat them often as well during my taper. I ate one after my taper & felt terrible. I waited a few days then ate one with a different breakfast. First time was cereal. Second time was with eggs, toast and uncured no preservatives bacon. 40 minutes later felt terrible! So I stopped eating them. They contain potassium, magnesium & natural melatonin. Most berries do....yes bananas are berries  :thumbsup: perhaps your body became intolerant to one of those components. Dr Ashton does mention you can have reactions to things that never bothered you before at any given time. I thought I was having an issue with potatoes a couple of weeks ago. So, I ate the same exact meal every meal for 3 days which included baked potato. No problem! It was a coincidence that after I ate one for dinner few days prior I had a huge wave. I quickly learned I simply was due to have one no matter what I ate or didn't eat. As far as why the banana got to me...I have a thyroid disorder & extra melatonin didn't agree with my thyroid levels at the time. Matter of fact, anyone with an auto immune disorder should never take melatonin. Look on the box. Will I ever eat them again??? Yes at some point but not while I'm in withdrawal & a sensitive system

I'm glad for you Tiska. As I stated before, I believe my reaction to them was because of thyroid levels being off. So since I don't have a way of checking it daily then I just leave them alone until I've healed some more.