Very interesting read on new thinking for insomnia treatment

[ru...]

Belsomra did ZERO for me and I tried it 2 different times about 3 months apart...absolutely NO effect and that's pretty much the consensus from almost everyone on the insomnia board!

Yes it didn’t make me sleep and I couldn’t move. I was so scared. I was reaching for things that weren’t there, dark shadows moving around me. Apparently a common side effect. Very scary

I have been using Belsomra, with pretty successful results, for about 3 years.

I did find, however, these new DORA drugs will not be efficacious if you abruptly stop  a long time benzo or Z drug use and substitute the Belsomra, or newest one Davigo.  You first must, in my opinion, " wash out" the effects of the GABAa promoting drugs prior to expecting the orexin antagonists to work. This is what happened in my case. It wasn't until my 3rd attempt with Belsomra        ( having been off of the Z drugs for over a year,)  that I had positive results.

In addition, while the maximum dose available for Belsomra is 20mg, Merck actually applied to the FDA in their New Drug Application, to make 20 the minimum and 40 the maximum. Merck's experience in their clinical trials, I would suppose, indicated this drug required the doses for which they applied ( I believe it was 20, 30, 40 mg ) I myself, have to dose at 30mg to receive  any benefit.

I recently took advantage of the free coupon available for the newest DORA, Davigo, and my provider prescribed the allowed 10 5mg tablets. I found I required 10mg for this newest drug to work but I had better results with 10 mg of Davigo versus 30mg of Belsomra. In addition, although both drugs are very $$, Davigo is about 1/3 cheaper than Belsomra.