Help with taper plan. Liquid Clonazepam.

[Be...]

Hello everyone,

I've had to adjust my Clonazepam up dose  to 0.25 mg per day (0.125 mg in the morning and 0.125 mg in the evening) due to severe Tinnitus.

It's been almost 2 weeks and I feel somewhat better and I'm planning ahead to taper down my dosage while minimizing my withdrawal symptoms. I'm not going to do it right now (will probably hold for another week or 2).

I have the liquid solution (Clonazepam). It came with a syringe.

0.1 ml (it has the number 10) is equivalent to 0.25 mg.

0.05 ml (it has the number 5) is equivalent to 0.125 mg.

My question is:  what would a reasonable taper plan be providing 0.25 mg is the maximum dose I've been taking daily. Been on benzos for over 5 months.

I've been taking the clonazepam in split doses: 0.125 mg in the morning and 0.125 mg in the evening.

Should I start cutting down 1/5 on both dosages on the syringe for so many weeks? Or in one of them first? How long should I stay on it to stabilize and avoid failing again.

Please notice  I tried a fast taper plan and did not work, but I don't wan't to stay on benzos forever (I'm sure we all want the same).

The syringe allows easy reductions of 1/5. It has  little lines in between (which would allow 1/10 reductions) but that would require having a hawk eye sight and super steady hands. If I had that level of precision, I'd probably be a surgeon or work in a circus...

Looking forward to hear your input, suggestions and comments regarding which dose should I reduce first (morning or evening), how long should I stay in, and if it's possible to reduce it in fifths.

Thank you!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [Ko...]

• [Pa...]

• [Li...]

Top Posters In This Topic

[9b...]

That solution is pretty concentrated (2.5 mg/ml).  It would be difficult to do a slow taper from 0.125 mg doses using a 1 ml syringe.  I think you'll have to dilute your liquid klonopan so you can make smaller cuts. 

I think you could dilute 0.05 ml into 100 ml (using water) then remove a small amount and drink the rest.  You could, for example, remove 1 ml per day and you'd be reducing at 1% per day.

Hi Ben!

I've been wondering how you're doing.  Nice to hear that you're feeling somewhat better.  Does that mean your tinnitis has lessened?  What other symptoms are you having, if any?

I feel foolish for asking, but I still don't understand the markings on your dropper.  I've looked online and read all I can locate about the product but haven't found a description or photo of exactly how your dropper is configured and what doses it's capable of delivering. 

Anyway, is this roughly what you have in mind for the first part of your taper? (I used a 3-week hold per step for the sake of example.) : 

Starting dose = 0.250

Date                  Daily dosage (mg)  Morning Dose (mg)  Evening Dose (mg)    % reduction

Sep 12, 2020        0.225                      0.100                      0.125                    10.0%

Oct  3, 2020        0.200                      0.100                      0.100                    11.1%

Oct 24, 2020          ?                              ?                            ?                          ?

In the first step, reducing just your morning dose by 1/5 results in a 10% dose reduction--the recommended maximum. 

As you can see in the next step, cutting your evening dose by 1/5 puts your % reduction slightly above 10%.  Note that each subsequent 0.025 mg reduction will raise the % reduction even more. 

Slightly exceeding 10% may not be a problem at first, given your relatively short exposure to clonazepam and your very low dose.  On the other hand, progressively increasing your % reduction with each step may increase the likelihood of your tinnitus returning/persisting. We'll know a bit more about how you might  respond after the first (10%) taper step. 

Like basocref says, eventually, it'll be necessary to dilute a drop of your liquid concentrate with a known volume of water, giving you a milder solution from which to dose in order to keep the % reduction within a safe range.  We can talk more about that when the time comes.     

Be safe and well!

Koko Lee 

[9b...]

If it's a 1 ml syringe, measuring 0.05 ml will be somewhat inaccurate and you'll only be able to make 0.01 ml (20%) adjustments.

Smaller syringes are available (e.g. 0.3 ml) which would give you a little more flexibility.  But I still think diluting will be the best approach.

I agree, badsocref, the safest way to proceed is to do as you suggest.  Best not to take a chance on a 10% cut when dilution is inevitable so soon anyway. 

Thank you Koko Lee,

I was doing fairly well for the last 3 days. Today, not very much. I suspect I've developed tolerance quickly or the Prozac is worsening my tinnitus, but I"m not sure.

I'll have to talk to the Dr. on Monday.

I like the plan you propose. Although, since I already have tinnitus, I feel desperate to end it as quickly as possible. I can try that method first as

I've been able to buy an syringe used for insulin (0.3 ml). So I think I'll be able to follow your initial plan.

My symptoms besides tinnitus include  anxiety, constipation, sweats, fatalistic thinking, tingling in my feet/cold feet, and flashes in my eyes at night if I look quickly from one place to another.

Of course, this is all exacerbated by the tinnitus, which can cause me nausea as well as the inability to stand still. I feel trapped in hell. So yes, as soon as I determine with my Dr. the course of action regarding the Prozac, I'll try to follow the initial part of your plan.

Sorry I'm not more eloquent, but I'm really anxious now.

Hi Ben!

I've been wondering how you're doing.  Nice to hear that you're feeling somewhat better.  Does that mean your tinnitis has lessened?  What other symptoms are you having, if any?

I feel foolish for asking, but I still don't understand the markings on your dropper.  I've looked online and read all I can locate about the product but haven't found a description or photo of exactly how your dropper is configured and what doses it's capable of delivering. 

Anyway, is this roughly what you have in mind for the first part of your taper? (I used a 3-week hold per step for the sake of example.) : 

Starting dose = 0.250

Date                  Daily dosage (mg)  Morning Dose (mg)  Evening Dose (mg)    % reduction

Sep 12, 2020        0.225                      0.100                      0.125                    10.0%

Oct  3, 2020        0.200                      0.100                      0.100                    11.1%

Oct 24, 2020          ?                              ?                            ?                          ?

In the first step, reducing just your morning dose by 1/5 results in a 10% dose reduction--the recommended maximum. 

As you can see in the next step, cutting your evening dose by 1/5 puts your % reduction slightly above 10%.  Note that each subsequent 0.025 mg reduction will raise the % reduction even more. 

Slightly exceeding 10% may not be a problem at first, given your relatively short exposure to clonazepam and your very low dose.  On the other hand, progressively increasing your % reduction with each step may increase the likelihood of your tinnitus returning/persisting. We'll know a bit more about how you might  respond after the first (10%) taper step. 

Like basocref says, eventually, it'll be necessary to dilute a drop of your liquid concentrate with a known volume of water, giving you a milder solution from which to dose in order to keep the % reduction within a safe range.  We can talk more about that when the time comes.     

Be safe and well!

Koko Lee

If it's a 1 ml syringe, measuring 0.05 ml will be somewhat inaccurate and you'll only be able to make 0.01 ml (20%) adjustments.

Smaller syringes are available (e.g. 0.3 ml) which would give you a little more flexibility.  But I still think diluting will be the best approach.

Thank you Badsocref. I do have the 0.3 ml syringe. It's rather difficult to measure because is so tiny and requires a hell of a steady hand.

Hi Ben,

I'm confused about this Prozac situation.  My understanding is that, soon after starting it, you decided to stop taking it (Aug 28) because it immediately made your tinnitus worse.  Then on Aug 31 you reported taking "small dosages" as instructed by your doctor.  You felt better the past few days (Sept 2-4?)--until today, when your tinnitus returned. 

After about two weeks on 0.250 mg clonazepam, you should be more stable--not less.  Is your prozac dosage still changing?  If not, exactly when did it stop changing and at what dosage?  Adjusting to Prozac (which takes 1-2 weeks to begin taking effect and 4-6 weeks to take full effect) is going to complicate the process of knowing when you're stable enough to begin tapering clonazepam. 

Since you're now experiencing tinnitus again, I can't endorse a taper that involves cutting by the maximum recommended amount of 10%.  It's simply too risky to cut that much given that you're now struggling to balance two different medications.  I understand you're desperate for the tinnitus and other symptoms stop, but making any drastic changes to your clonazepam dosage is only going to get you into more trouble.

As an alternative, I'm going to send you a second proposal, this one loosely based on basocref's advice.  Being more gradual, it'll be far less likely to induce more unwanted side effects. 

Good luck with your appointment on Monday!

Koko Lee 

Hi Ben,

To be totally clear, does your syringe have legible marks at 0.05 mL, 0.04 mL, 0.03 mL, 0.02 mL and 0.01 mL  corresponding to 0.125 mg, 0.100 mg, 0.075 mg, 0.050 mg and 0.025 mg, respectively?

KL 

Hi Ben!

Here’s an alternative taper proposal.  In accordance with BB guidelines, this proposal isn't intended to be prescriptive.

In this scenario, the dose reductions are gradual, and hold times can be extended at any dosage step along the line, reducing the likelihood that you will have to updose.  Syringe measurements entail less error because 0.05 mL is the lowest volume for which the syringe is used.

This will take ~180 days to complete if each reduction is held for only one day.  (This is about as long as long as the earlier proposal would have taken.)  However, this is more rapid than advised, so, as often as not, you will find it more tolerable to hold for longer than one day.  As you know, clonazepam has a relatively long half-life, and the delayed effects of cumulative dose reductions can blindside you. It will be up to you to proceed as slowly and cautiously as necessary, based on your previous experience, your common sense, and according to your symptoms. 

Note that this proposal is not a true "taper" because the dosage reduction is linear--that is, the dosage decrease (not the % reduction) is held constant. 

*  Initially, the % reduction will be (0.00125 mg/0.250 mg) x 100 = 0.5% per day. 

*  By the end of phase 5, the % reduction will be (0.00125 mg/0.125 mg) x 100 = 1% per day.

*  By the end of phase 8, the % will be (0.00125 mg/0.050 mg) x 100 = 2.5% per day

As you can see, your daily dosage reduction rises as a proportion of your total dose—thus, the rate of taper increases over time.  This isn’t ideal, so increasing the hold times offers a way to slow the pace of reduction in order to minimize WD symptoms. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or if anything looks incorrect.

Koko Lee

What you will need:

A 100 mL graduated cylinder (glass preferred, due to clonazepam's affinity for certain plastics). 

https://www.amazon.com/100mL-Graduated-Cylinder-Borosilicate-Graduations/dp/B01M71SL0X/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=100ml+graduated+cylinder+class

+a&qid=1599255591&s=industrial&sr=1-3

A syringe appropriate for measuring 0.05 mL. 

aqueous solution recommended by badsocref.

(0.05 ml x 2.5 mg/mL clonzepam conc) / 100 mL water = 0.00125 mg/ml solution.  Stir well.

This solution will need to be made immediately before use, once daily during Phase 1 and twice daily thereafter. 

A log book for recording dosage changes, hold times, symptoms and other observations. 

Proposed taper plan

Phase 1 --reduce your daily dosage to 0.225 mg

The 1st morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 1 mL and drink the remaining 99 mL.  That night, take 0.05 mL (0.125 mg) of clonazepam concentrate.

The 2nd morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 2 mL and drink 98 mL.  That night, take 0.05 mL (0.125 mg) of concentrate.

Each day that you feel ready to reduce your dose, continue this pattern, discarding one additional mL of aqueous solution and drinking the rest, while keeping your nighttime dose constant at 0.05 mL (0.125 mg) concentrate.

When you need to hold the same dose for an extra day, repeat the morning and nighttime doses you took the previous day. 

Once you have reduced your morning dose to 80 mL of aqueous solution (0.100 mg), and your nighttime dose is 0.050 mL of concentrate (0.125 mg), your total daily dose will be 0.225 mg. 

Phase 2 --reduce your daily dosage to 0.200 mg

The 1st morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 20 mL and drink 80 mL (0.100 mg).  That night, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 1 mL and drink the remaining 99 mL.

The 2nd morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 20 mL and drink 80 mL (0.100 mg).  That night, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 2 mL and drink the remaining 98 mL.

Each day that you feel ready to reduce your dose, continue this pattern, keeping the morning dose constant at 80 mL of aqueous solution, while taking a nighttime dose equal to one mL less than the previous night’s dose.

To hold the same dosage for an extra day, repeat the previous day’s routine. 

When your morning and nighttime doses are both 80 mL of aqueous solution (0.100 mg each), your total daily dose will be 0.200 mg.

Phase 3----reduce your daily dosage to 0.175 mg

The 1st morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 21 mL and drink 79 mL.  That night, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 20 mL and drink 80 mL.

The 2nd morning, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 22 mL and drink 78 mL.  That night, prepare the aqueous solution.  Discard 20 mL and drink 80 mL.

Continue the pattern, holding for extra days as needed.

When your morning and nighttime doses of aqueous solution are 60 mL (0.075 mg) and 80 mL (0.100 mg), respectively, your total daily dose will be 0.175 mg.

From here, you will follow the same pattern.  Always prepare 100 mL of the aqueous solution and discard as much as you need to in order to achieve the volumes recommended below.

Phase 4----reduce your daily dosage to 0.150 mg

Hold your morning dose at 60 mL (0.075 mg) while reducing your nighttime dose from 79 mL to 60 mL (0.075 mg).

Phase 5----reduce your daily dosage to 0.125 mg

Reduce your morning dose from 59 mL to 40 mL (0.050 mg) while holding your nighttime dose at 60 mL (0.075 mg).

Phase 6 ----reduce your daily dosage to 0.100 mg

Hold your morning dose at 40 mL (0.050 mg) while reducing your nighttime dose from 59 mL to 40 mL (0.050 mg).

Phase 7 ----reduce your daily dosage to 0.075 mg

Reduce your morning dose from 39 mL to 20 mL (0.025 mg) while holding your nighttime dose at 40 mL (0.050 mg)

Phase 8 ----reduce your daily dosage to 0.050 mg

Hold your morning dose at 20 mL (0.025 mg) while reducing your nighttime dose from 39 mL to 20 mL (0.025 mg)

Phase 9 ----reduce your daily dosage to 0.025 mg

Reduce your morning dose from 19 mL to 0 mL while holding your nighttime dose at 20 mL (0.025 mg)

When your morning dose is zero and your nighttime dose is 20 mL (0.025 mg), you can consider jumping off.       

Hello koko Lee,

Thank you for all your willingness and hard work to help me.

To answer to your question: I decided to stop taking the Prozac, but then resumed again to give it another chance taking 10 ml one day off (Interdaily?).  I wrote down a diary about my effects on my T, and are not pretty clear, but it seems they exacerbate the Tinnitus. So today I'm calling my Dr. to see the course of action.

There have been days where I have not taken the Prozac where I had felt much better.

I feel (maybe I'm wrong) I need  some sort of antidepressant as I'm extremely sad, and I don't feel I can follow a taper plan without it. Although I could try stopping the Prozac altogether and see if only taking my current dose of Clonazepam would really improve the symptoms (I will propose that to him).

In any scenario, no Doctor is going to give me a taper plan for Clonazepam (at least not one where I can minimize the side effects). So that's why I asked about a taper plan beforehand. I'm going to answer your other messages.

Hi Ben,

I'm confused about this Prozac situation.  My understanding is that, soon after starting it, you decided to stop taking it (Aug 28) because it immediately made your tinnitus worse.  Then on Aug 31 you reported taking "small dosages" as instructed by your doctor.  You felt better the past few days (Sept 2-4?)--until today, when your tinnitus returned. 

After about two weeks on 0.250 mg clonazepam, you should be more stable--not less.  Is your prozac dosage still changing?  If not, exactly when did it stop changing and at what dosage?  Adjusting to Prozac (which takes 1-2 weeks to begin taking effect and 4-6 weeks to take full effect) is going to complicate the process of knowing when you're stable enough to begin tapering clonazepam. 

Since you're now experiencing tinnitus again, I can't endorse a taper that involves cutting by the maximum recommended amount of 10%.  It's simply too risky to cut that much given that you're now struggling to balance two different medications.  I understand you're desperate for the tinnitus and other symptoms stop, but making any drastic changes to your clonazepam dosage is only going to get you into more trouble.

As an alternative, I'm going to send you a second proposal, this one loosely based on basocref's advice.  Being more gradual, it'll be far less likely to induce more unwanted side effects. 

Koko Lee

Hi Ben,

Koko Lee

Hi Ben,

To be totally clear, does your syringe have legible marks at 0.05 mL, 0.04 mL, 0.03 mL, 0.02 mL and 0.01 mL  corresponding to 0.125 mg, 0.100 mg, 0.075 mg, 0.050 mg and 0.025 mg, respectively?

KL

Hello again Koko Lee, once again, thank you!, I sent you a message previously explaining the Prozac situation, but I don't see it was posted. Maybe it will take a few minutes. Thank for wishing me good luck.

Trying to answer to your question:

My syringe is a U-100 insulin that goes from 0.3 ml (maximum), and it has on the same mark: 30 units (how can I send you a picture as attachment?). Here's a link, but it does not show all the divisions:

[nobbc]https://www.totmedical.com/jeringas-de-insulina-con-aguja/73-jeringa-de-insulina-de-03-ml-con-aguja-de-03-x-80-mm-g30.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwtNf6BRAwEiwAkt6UQmM3H4EOgFloJpihFl9U9j0bhLTiUuxdW7694xZb-OIpU44j0sz0JBoC5B8QAvD_BwE[/nobbc]

0.3 ml represents 30 units, then goes to 25 units, 20 units, etc. Between each unit, it has 10 separation lines (very small and difficult to see).

10 units would represent: 0.25 mg. 5 units would be 0.125  mg. Going from 10 units to 5 units it has 10 separation lines, and going from 5 units to 0 it has 10 separation lines as well (of course!).

So from 0.125 mg it would allow: 0.125 mg, 0.112 mg, 0.10 mg, etc (10% reductions).

The only inconvenience it's too small and require great pulse, and not suitable for smaller reductions once I'm reaching the lowest dose before jumping off. I don't think it has such small reductions.

So I will carefully  read the alternative plan proposed by you and Badsocref.

Edit: Deactivated commercial link.

[9b...]
With 10 marks between 0 and 0.05, you can do 10% reductions (as opposed to 20% reductions with the 1 ml syringe).  More control will require dilution or the use of a micropipette.  At least that's all I can think of.

Thank you Badsocref, yes. I can try, if it’s too complicated I’ll have to dilute. I’m still too unstable; probably due to the Antidepressant (as Koko Lee) mentioned.

I have Tinnitus and anxiety already, so I need to find balance between minimizing the symptoms and not excessively prolonging the taper. Plus, dealing with the uncertainty that I’d be able to make it without the help of other medication...

Hello, BenThrottle.  Just a thought ... would it be possible for you to obtain a 1 mL tuberculin syringe?  Tuberculin syringes have 100 graduation marks — one every 0.01 mL. 

Nevertheless...

As badsocref pointed out in a much earlier post, it will be difficult to achieve acceptable precision and accuracy using any of the aforementioned syringes to measure <0.05 mL.  The 2.5 mg/mL concentrate is so ridiculously potent that the mere thickness of a syringe graduation line can make a big difference. 

For example, a measurement of  0.050 mL +/- 0.001 mL  of 2.5 mg/mL concentrate results in a range of 0.1225 mg to 0.1275 mg, or ~4%. 

A measurement of 0.020 mL +/- 0.001 mL yields a range of 0.0475 mg to 0.0525 mg, or  ~10%. 

At 0.010 mL  +/- 0.001 mL, the range is 0.0225 mg to 0.0275 mg, or ~20%. 

It would help if the liquid were available in a concentration of, say, 0.100 mg/mL...or even 1 mg/mL.  But that would be too convenient for the consumer, I suppose. 

Hello, BenThrottle.  Just a thought ... would it be possible for you to obtain a 1 mL tuberculin syringe?  Tuberculin syringes have 100 graduation marks — one every 0.01 mL.

Thank you Libertas, I'll take a look:)

Thanks Koko Lee,

For some reason, I like more the idea of using a more precise syringe than diluting. I'm planning to follow your initial plan of tapering 10% in the morning and then 10% in the evening, and once I see how it goes, readjust.

I've read many times the second plan. For some reason, the dilution part seems complicated. I will look for the syringe in amazon, if it doesn't work, I'll go with the dilution process.

You're right...that would be too convenient and too good to be true...besides it wouldn't give me a lot of anxiety and frustration (already plentiful in my body).

I hope given my relatively short time and dosage I could deal with those fluctuations using the micro-syringe...but then again, maybe I'm just trying to deceive myself so I can make things simpler.

Nevertheless...

As badsocref pointed out in a much earlier post, it will be difficult to achieve acceptable precision and accuracy using any of the aforementioned syringes to measure <0.05 mL.  The 2.5 mg/mL concentrate is so ridiculously potent that the mere thickness of a syringe graduation line can make a big difference. 

For example, a measurement of  0.050 mL +/- 0.001 mL  of 2.5 mg/mL concentrate results in a range of 0.1225 mg to 0.1275 mg, or ~4%. 

A measurement of 0.020 mL +/- 0.001 mL yields a range of 0.0475 mg to 0.0525 mg, or  ~10%. 

At 0.010 mL  +/- 0.001 mL, the range is 0.0225 mg to 0.0275 mg, or ~20%. 

It would help if the liquid were available in a concentration of, say, 0.100 mg/mL...or even 1 mg/mL.  But that would be too convenient for the consumer, I suppose.

If you really want to stick with the undiluted syrup and if you want better accuracy/precision/reproducibility, you could purchase a micropipette (and some tips).  I just saw one for around $30 on eBay.  A bag/rack of tips would cost you another $10 or so.  There are lots of videos to show you how they work.  For example,

They come in a bunch of sizes, but since you're starting with 0.050 ml of your medicine, I'd suggest a 0.050 ml (50 µl) pipetter.  You can accurately measure 0.050, 0.049, 0.048, etc. ml. 

Yeah, a gas tight syringe could also work if the viscosity isn't too high.  You'll need to remember to clean it well after each use.

Good point about Rivotril's viscosity.  Have not been able to locate an MSDS.

The excipients are listed in section 6.1 of this document:

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/Datasheet/r/Rivotriltabdropinj.pdf

Oral solution: peach flavouring PHL-014725, saccharin sodium, glacial acetic acid,

propylene glycol and brilliant blue FCF (E133, CI42090).

*  peach flavouring PHL-014725--Viscosity not found

*  saccharin sodium--Solid

glacial acetic acid--Viscosity = 1.14-1.24 at RT  http://www.ddbst.com/en/EED/PCP/VIS_C84.php

propylene glycol--Viscosity = 48.6 at RT  page 8

https://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDOWCOM/dh_091b/0901b8038091b508.pdf?filepath=pro

*  brilliant blue FCF--Viscosity not found

So a 100 uL syringe might not work!