Hydroxyine?

[Le...]

Does anyone have any experience with hydroxyine while coming off of Klonopin ? To treat anxiety.

Dr just prescribed it to me but have no idea what to think of it .. thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, First off the med you are referring to in this Forum is Hydroxyzine.......I have taken it for nausea but it was prescribed for hypertension.  It did take care of the nausea and made me a bit sleepy.....it did not seem to affect or make withdrawal symptoms worse or reappear.

• 1 month later...
I have this and it's just 'meh'. Really has no anti-anxiety affect on me. Only makes me sleepy, so when I've taken it it has been at night (only three times so far).

I'm super-sensitive to meds and just half an Atarax pill not only helped my sleep but left me drowsy for 20 hours.  And not cozy kitten drowsy but dead zombie depressed.  So I cut the dose to a crumble,  but then had an alarming experience of heart palpitations and shortness of breath shortly after ingestion in the middle of the night.... honestly thought I was going to die. Later thought maybe it had been a fluke or unrelated, so I tried a tiny crumble during the daytime......same thing happened again.  So I will never take hydroxyzine again.

Google "hydroxyzine and heart arrhythmia" (Q interval or something.)  In some people, hydroxyzine can cause cardiac arrest and even death.  Not everyone is the same, of course, but I would proceed with caution.  A low dose of Melatonin might be safer, imo.

I’m on up to 300 mg as needed and I do notice my heart flutter, thought it was caffeine but I stoped caffeine and it’s still there, it helps me sleep, I feel a very low grade relaxation with a 50mg dose. Mild relief

I tried it last night for the first time.  At 1:30 in the a.m. because it was looking like an all- nighter.  I am super sensitive to medication.  It helped me sleep for sure.  Awee bit slow this morning but not really too bad.  There are two different kinds of Hydroxyizine.  One of them affects you differently, and has been discontinued in many countries... not the US? 

In any case I will be using this for sleep aid as needed.  Probably a few times a week.

I took it on and off during my taper. It worked, but left me groggy. And then it stopped working -- probably because I took it regularly. I think if you took it once in awhile the effects wouldn't "wear off". I found some other ways to combat insomnia (non pill) and those worked better for me.

Best,

Katz