Xanex seizure

[Be...]

Hi. A couple of months ago I was taking around 6mg of counterfeit Xanex a day. Normally in two doses.

In a moment of clarity, I decided to cut back with a view to withdrawling completely. I had not been taking that much for too long, so cut down to 4.5mg straight away. This gave me some side effects but in hindsight not to bad and only for a few days.

However, out the blue, last Wednesday morning I had a seizure and ended up in hospital. I had tests done and they found no reason for the seizure and so discharged me. They don't tend to do much unless you have a second seizure in the UK, although I have got an appointment with a neurologist coming in the post.

But in the mean time I do not know what to do.

Ideally I would like to change to Diazepam to lower risk, but doctors don't like prescribing them, and I am unable to find any unofficial sources. I do however have a year and a halfs supply of Xanex.

Should I raise my Xanex dose again. If so or if not, how should I dose my medication. My seziour was in the morning and I was not having any in the morning, so should I split my dose 3x a day, just incase it was caused by the gap between my nighttime dose and the next day.

I know I need to see a doctor, but I cannot get in at the moment and don't know what to do. I'm very scared.

That’s a tough one and really something a doctor should help you with. If it were me, I would go up  to 5 and a half and then cut ten percent at a time. Use the Ashton Manual to help you. You will see my signature below. That’s the rate I am tapering and I can barely handle it! Generally, going slowly is the best and safest way to come off these drugs. Hopefully others will have insight as well.

i have to advise you to discuss with your doctor, especially since you have had a seizure.

In my opinion it would be beneficial for you to reinstate most likely, and then do a very slow taper.

Can you tell us how long you've been taking the xanax?

Get familiar with the Ashton manual as it has beneficial info for you that can help.

The Ashton Manual

Here is another link so you can consider how to taper best for you:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Go easy and slow.  :smitten:

I had a seizure too the next day after I didn't take a Xanax dose the night before.  IMO, don't mess around with your dosages.  Stay at one steady dose and the same times of day and then do a slow taper.  Counterfeit Xanax?  Maybe it had something addd to it that caused the seizure?  Counterfeit might not have the right levels of Xanax active ingredients in it and could be causing you problems.  Get a real script from your doc. 

Yes, I am going to see my GP. I keep reading that Xanex is not normally prescribed in the UK, so when I do get an appointment, the best I can hope for is to be transferred to another, long term benzo, and even that might be a big ask. . I would be happy with that as this has really shook me up and I seriously want to use the Ashton method to withdrawal safely.

I have spent the last week reading about Epilepsy and although I had my first grand mal, I am certain I have been having mini seizures (abscences) for a long time, even before benzo use and that may even be partly why I started abusing in the first place.

Tell it to your doctor, that you have been reading about epilepsy. It might make it easier for them to do the right thing and give you a diazepam prescription with the goal of tapering.

Thanks for all your advice. To be honest, I have lost track how long I have been taking them. I have had anxiety as long as I can remember, and maybe two years ago I started on Diazepam (again counterfeit), and at some point early this year, graduated onto Xanex. I have previously repeatedly gone to the doctors asking for help but never offered anything other than SSRI which made me feel suicidal before. I am definitely an abuser, but an abuser that wishes to stop.

GPS in the UK are extremely reluctant to prescribe any benzos. I would love to be able to transfer to Diazepam but not sure that will be an option. I will be going to speak to doctors though.

I have settled on 3mg now. I need to stabilise and then as you have all suggested, the Ashton method. 3MG is one tablet, and I have enough of these to last a year almost, even without the Ashton method. That relieves the pressure of me running out, so less anxiety about that.That is why ideally I don't want to go any higher.

My immediate question, is after a big cut, how long will it take to stabilise? 2 very short (minutes)periods  of sleep last night and continue to have foggy headache. If I can ride this out, I can then start the 5/10% cuts.

I'm in the UK and I got a prescription from the GP when I was dependent on illicit diazepam. I made it easy for the doctor though, I guess. Having elicit pills caused me some trouble and it wasn't an option to get more that way. I needed more pills to complete a taper and I had my mum there to vouch for that need because she knows how sensitive I am to reductions. Also I was genuinely very keen to get off diazepam, was already reducing which is basically why I got caught with illicit pills in a convoluted way. My mum is respectable and decent and has known this doctor for more than 20 years, so the doctor wrote a prescription without hesitation. I wonder if you have a respectable looking family member who knows what you're going through and wants you to get well, who could accompany you to the doctor and vouch for you?

I think you should try and discuss your Xanax addiction and dependency with the neurologist. It is absolutely definitely relevant to them. What really needs to happen for your sake mostly is to get you on a stable dose of diazepam as a first step and then get rid of the Xanax. Doctors have a really tough job because plenty of people would get the prescription and take the Xanax on top, even if that was never the starting intention.

Many thanks for your reply. Please keep in touch because your experience with the doctor may help. Yes,Yes, my wife. I do plan for her to accompany me as she is strictly against my 'antics'. Also, when I had a seizure, I saw a neurologist who is writing to the GP for me in support of a way to get off. I am also under a counsellor which can only add to my cause.Can I ask you how much he was able to prescribe you daily? Were your illicit source counterfeit, and if so did you find the dose equal to the prescribed one?

I was prescribed 5mg diazepam, which I guess is less than you would need. However, 5mg was my terrible idea because I was muddled up at the time. 5mg represented a substantial reduction in the average dose that I had been taking before and I suffered badly (but got through it). That said, the doctor took me at my word that I was on 5mg and wrote without hesitation. I think he might have anticipated more. I think that 20mg looks like a lot to them and upwards of 50mg would make them twitchy. From your pattern of using, 40-50mg diazepam sounds like a good substitution. You might find that the adjustment is difficult but once you settle down, you should be more stable than now and slowly reducing in a controlled way should be easier than it is now.

Once you get into your taper and your doctor trusts you, hopefully they won't be rushing you to come off. If you can reduce your dependency by half, it will be advantageous for you. You might get to a point where you can't take anymore and just need to be normal. I would hope that as long as you are honest and agree with your doctor to pause for the time being, and don't go taking more pills on any day, just stay at the same dose... as long as you do this then you will see a gradual improvement in your health that will add up over time. Withdrawal is difficult but when you've been drugged as heavily as you have been on a regular basis, you will see the benefit of greater clarity when you stabilise after reducing. I think if you manage to reduce your intake by half under your doctor's supervision, you will know how to complete the job and you will want to. It's just a matter of time.

I believe the pills I had were counterfeit, Valium from Pakistan it said on the blister packs. I have no reason to believe they were underdosed. I guess it would be handy for you if yours are underdosed, then less diazepam will be needed. Hopefully you'll throw the Xanax soon after you get the diazepam prescription. If your doctor will only give you a prescription towards the lower end of what you need, make sure you agree on a reasonable period of adjustment. I would say don't even think of reducing for a month. Only reduce after a month if you are coping.

If your wife can help, then please use her help. If that means blowing the lid on a secret stash or otherwise restricting your freedom to mess up, then even better. It might feel crummy at first but you'll get used to it. I'm sure your wife will be happy to help you reduce your physical dependency if you're serious about resolving the psychological issues. Good luck with everything. Feel free to PM, although I don't believe I have much more that I can say about the doctors.

• 2 weeks later...

I am feeling so much better now. I have been preparing myself, bought a set of scales and the time has come to start my reduction slowly. I am going to go down the 10% every week or even  two weeks  if its not feeling  that good.

Is there any harm in leaving it longer? I just wondered if letting yourself become completely reaccustomed to your new dose may make the next reduction even harder.

Ps I have also decided not to approach my doctor for an exchange to diazepam yet. I really cannot see them prescribing 40mg a day, and at the moment 3 doses or xanex a day seems to last me.