Does everyone that takes benzos get addicted?

[Mi...]

Does everyone that takes benzos for a significant amount of time get addicted and eventually have to face withdrawal? Just curious if it happens to everyone, or just to the ones more susceptible.... like myself.

There's a difference between addicted and dependent. Most people on BB are dependent on the benzos. There are people who can come off no issues, and some like myself, came off benzos in the past no problem but got hit once they kindled, or took benzos again. I just watched a YouTuber today talking about having seizures when stopping meds for chronic back pain. So, other meds that affect the nervous system act the same way.

[a0...]
It happens to everyone. The thing is, first few withdrawals are easy for most people (kindling phenomenon), and people usually take benzos as needed and don't think much about it. Then, they find out they're feeling worse and worse without benzos. Benzos are not like dopaminergic drugs, very, very few people feel any sort of craving for benzos (in fact, most benzo users end up disgusted by benzos, benzos are not really addictive in a sense dopaminergic drugs and activities are), rather once you're dependant on benzos, benzos become something you take in order not to be completely disfunctional wreck.

Thank you, this really helped me as I've been off and on benzos at least 50 times.  Withdrawal every time including 2 seizures. I just keep going back.  But it helps me to know that they aren't addictive more so easy to get dependent on.  Planning on staying away from them.  I am kindled now. If I only take them for a few days I already have withdrawal that fast.

[a0...]
Since addiction and physical dependance are separate things, addiction is not the same as dependance. All drugs (not just psychoactive ones) when taken chronically cause dependace and discontinuation syndrome, but only dopaminergic drugs and activities cause addiction (cravings and dose escalation). Physical dependance may mirror addiction somewhat because of buildup of tolerance (thus causing dose escalation) and people wishing to avoid discontinuation syndrome at all costs (thus mirroring cravings), which is why addiction and dependance are commonly confused, but they are not the same thing.

Pacenik: great posts on differentiating the terms and how it is utilized by the body. The benzo community is working hard to try to  change the language used surrounding benzos.  :thumbsup:

No. I know several ppl who just stopped them after a decade or more with no problems so they can’t have been physically dependant in the same way can they.

[a0...]

No. I know several ppl who just stopped them after a decade or more with no problems so they can’t have been physically dependant in the same way can they.

I stopped and started benzos many times in the past two years. Yes, there are differences in response to benzos between diferent people, but generally it isn't until kindling kicks in that people have trouble stopping (which is probably what confuses doctors the most -- they've probably had many patients who had no trouble stopping). Had I known about kindling back them the first time I was off I would've stayed off.

I stopped and started benzos many times in the past two years. Yes, there are differences in response to benzos between diferent people, but generally it isn't until kindling kicks in that people have trouble stopping (which is probably what confuses doctors the most -- they've probably had many patients who had no trouble stopping). Had I known about kindling back them the first time I was off I would've stayed off.

I wonder if it changes the nervous system or makes it more delicate. I went off daily Xanax prescription when I was in my early 20s and after suffering the effects and withdrawals for about two weeks, I kind of forgot about the experience. However, years later, I've gotten sick twice due to taking nootropics and magnesium. It wasn't until taking Ambien and Buspar and got really sick that I started to put the pieces together. Before being medicated, I NEVER experienced episodes of derealization or akathesia.

• 3 weeks later...

Does everyone that takes benzos for a significant amount of time get addicted and eventually have to face withdrawal? Just curious if it happens to everyone, or just to the ones more susceptible.... like myself.

No. I was on and off Xanax, but the last time got me. I healed though and you will too  :angel:

No.

Not quite like that. I think most would at least feel a little bit of something when they stop but not usually on the scale of what we knoq. They are for sure a high risk gamble though and I feel quite certain that even if you come off them without bad symptoms, you are "behind the scenes" more sensitive and vulnerable to stressors hurting you in ways that wouldn't normally happen. I think they're bad news for anybody who takes them long enough ("long enough" will be different for everybody) but chemical dependency is overwhelmingly the problem affecting more people than addiction. Addiction is a terrible problem too though.

IMO, most do not become "addicted" but many become "dependent" on them. 

My definition of addicted is a strong desire or craving for something, like a cigarette because of the nicotine, etc.  Dependent to me means I need it or else I won't be able to do something...like sleep.  That's how I differentiate between the two.  Some people use the terms interchangeably, but I do not.

I became dependent on Benzos for sleep.  When I quit taking them CT, I experienced a nasty WD with many symptoms and severe insomnia.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont see much difference in addicted or dependant. I do know that most of us dont like to say we are addicted to benzos. I sure didnt. But in the end, benzos ARE addictive, and most people DO become addicted if they take benzos long enough. The weird thing about benzos is "tolerance withdrawal." That was a hard concept for me to get. Only later on did I realize what that meant and saw that I had been in that for a long time.

Addicted and dependant are simply saying our brains now depend on benzos to feel normal. But the problem begins when we go off benzos. Agreed?

east

Addiction has to do with behaviour. Dependence has to do with biology. If one is addicted to benzos, almost certainly they'll be dependent too. If one is dependent on benzos, it doesn't necessarily follow that they're addicted. I wanted off benzos back in 2017 but only got there 2 months ago. It's not because of addiction, it's because I went absolutely manic when I withdrew just a little too quick.

Not true. I was thrust into hell from first attempt.

Thank you, this really helped me as I've been off and on benzos at least 50 times.  Withdrawal every time including 2 seizures. I just keep going back. But it helps me to know that they aren't addictive more so easy to get dependent on. Planning on staying away from them.  I am kindled now. If I only take them for a few days I already have withdrawal that fast.

Hi Michellec23,

Last time we talked on the forum was in March and I think we discussed the fact that we share some similar behaviors.  I think the question you asked is a good one but what you might have asked is, Can addicts take benzodiazepines without becoming addicted to them?, the answer to that is no.  Benzo's are just as scary as pain pills and alcohol and the whole list of drugs that aren't approved by the FDA to an addict, we can't control them, they control us. 

Pamster

Thank you Pamster!

I've been taking Temazepan "as needed" which  is  how it was prescribed. I think the fact that I took it once or twice a week has kindled my brain because in between doses I simply couldnt sleep and had amxiety/depression. I am currently tapering but going a bit quicker as i havent used them for long & didn't take it every day but I'm terrified I've done major damage

Thank you Pamster!

I've been taking Temazepan "as needed" which  is  how it was prescribed. I think the fact that I took it once or twice a week has kindled my brain because in between doses I simply couldnt sleep and had amxiety/depression. I am currently tapering but going a bit quicker as i havent used them for long & didn't take it every day but I'm terrified I've done major damage

I would lean towards your body being dependent on the Temazepam rather than it being kindling, your symptoms between doses sound like interdose withdrawal to me so please don't feel you've done major damage by using it sporadically.  You're so wise to taper from it now, it appears you're very sensitive to this medication.

Thank you for the reassurance Pamster. On reflection, I stopped taking it as I had finished my perception & about 10 days later I had severe insomnia, didn't sleep for 4 nights followed by depression, crying spells, panic attacks.. stupidly I asked my psych for more temazepan. I might have kindled  :( I am trying to stay positive but honestly I. Terrified, disappointed in myself & so scared of my future and don't know if I can handle the withdrawal symptoms.ptoms. I have to work & I'm a manager & I have 2 children to care for. Do u know if most people experience the worst symptoms during tapering or after jumping or is it very individual?

I'm leveling my dose out at 2.5mg daily. This is my first week of leveling out to taper.

Not true. I was thrust into hell from first attempt.

Because it wasn't true for you doesn't mean other people didn't have a different experience?