What can I take for severe sleep anxiety?

[Me...]

Guys, please help. I’m coming up on the night and I’m already having panic attacks. I had 0 sleep last night, just shook and felt waves of panic as I was trying to sleep. It was traumatic and I’m scared of it happening again. What can I take for the anxiety that won’t mess up my healing or make symptoms worse afterwards?

I feel like I’m dying in a pool of fear. I need help. :,(

The night terrors were really really scary and the retina quality horror movie nightmares I was forced to take part in if I slept would have me shaking in terror for hours afterwards.  I didn’t do anything but suffer through it until it subsided, so I really hope some others can chime in with suggestions of things that they did.

Guys, please help. I’m coming up on the night and I’m already having panic attacks. I had 0 sleep last night, just shook and felt waves of panic as I was trying to sleep. It was traumatic and I’m scared of it happening again. What can I take for the anxiety that won’t mess up my healing or make symptoms worse afterwards?

I feel like I’m dying in a pool of fear. I need help. :,(

It seems unlikely the herbs you took would cause this. It does sound like classic anxiety. Have you ever tried or considered meditaion?

I agree, I know I’m making it way worse by not accepting this feeling... I’m feeding into it and heightens the setback anxiety. I have a tiny bit of baseline anxiety, I’m a worrier at heart, but nothing even close to this intensity. That’s what scares me. I’ve never had panic attacks before Benzo withdrawal or after I had healed, so I know this is a setback... Plus the sick feeling all over, electrocution feeling, touch sensitivity, noise sensitivity, etc, some of which has gone down.

I think it was a combo of the magnesium, which binds to GABA receptors and I took a lot of, and being already very sleep deprived (of my own choosing—I normally love nights and stay up way too late working on projects). The herbs I had never taken before. I read somewhere that Boswellia and magnesium act on gaba receptors, but I don’t know for sure if that’s it. All I know is that I was enjoying life one day, then in an instant woke up feeling like Benzo withdrawal all over again. It’s been steadily getting better over 3 weeks, but the anxiety is still terrible. I’m sure I’m making it worse by my stress and worry about healing.. My mind is always racing since this happened.

I’ve tried meditation in the past, but I stink at it. I’ll see about giving it a go again.

Myke, I’m so sorry you had to go through that... It’s cruel what Benzo withdrawal does to us. I’m so glad you’re over that hump. How are you feeling now? Did it gradually go away?

[05...]
Atarax (hydroxyzine-hydrochloride) works for me. Wish I knew about it way back when, never would've started taking benzos.

Atarax (hydroxyzine-hydrochloride) works for me. Wish I knew about it way back when, never would've started taking benzos.

I agree. Anything is better than talking benzos longterm on a chronic basis. Glad you found something else that is helping you.