Amitriptyline

[6e...]

Hi. My Dr prescribed it to me initially when I stated my taper more so for depression combined with insomnia.

I didnt take it long enough to be able to say whether it will impact your healing, but I do know that it does help with the worst of the sleeplessness.

I stopped taking it mostly because I wanted to switch to a newer anti-depressant  and because it made me feel very groggy in the morning.

How do you feel when taking them? Are you managing?

[a7...]
It could be said that amitriptyline has ruined my life. I was doing extremely well with my taper and was at the end when I started using amitriptyline intermittently for sleep. Amitriptyline caused tremors, myclonus, and of course insomnia (it caused endless stream of hypnic jerks). Had to take huge rescue doses of diazepam which threw me into the worst withdrawals I've ever experienced (and still am experiencing). Should've probably reinstated then and there instead of decing to wait it out.

Anyone trude amitriptyline while bring off Benzos to help sleep? Will that affect my healing?

I reacted so badly to amitriptyline. But you know we are different. May be because it was the third attempt using it.

It never helped me sleep and had possibly given me glaucoma. I’m too scared to take the pressure test but know I need to get it done soon to find out for sure. It does help some people sleep but I tried low dose and high my vision was awful on it couldn’t drive at all at night, looked like everything was hazy during the day. The headaches were horrific. I got swapped to dotheipine side affects not as bad but still didNt help me sleep. They are both sedating tricyclics

I started in month 5 of WD.

VERY low dose.

Helped with my crippling nerve pain Wich was HUGE for me!

BUT does NOT make me sleepy at all! Actually, is opposite and I have to take it earlier in the evening. Can't take to close to bed.

So yeah, we are all different!

And please be so careful starting something that can be sedating, while still on a tranquilizer!  :smitten:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi... I hope I’m not too late this post but I saw amitriptyline and had to put my two cents in. Lol. I had the absolute worst reaction to that drug than anything I have ever taken in my life. Now that is just me, but I would not advise anyone to take it. 😂

I highly recommend doxepin 25-50mg, it won't have too much of anticholingeric effect and it does reduce anxiety substantially, i did 25mg and it was pretty helpful, but with both elavil and doxepin you will feel tired...

I tried the amitriptyline for nerve pain at 10 mg while tapering. At that dose it didn't help much if at all, but it made my GI issues even worse because it is SO constipating. I had to get rid of it. And I have definitely tolerated it in the past, long ago, albeit not liking the side effects much but needing it for pain and sleep. There are certainly other tricyclics that may be easier to tolerate from a side effect profile. Keep the dose REALLY low. They're all sedating.