Dopamine

[Gr...]

I came across this video about dopamine and I find it very interesting.  I think when coming off benzos, we must be lacking in dopamine, or the ability to use our dopamine properly.  It's about 14 minutes long. 

Thats because extrasynaptic GabaA receptors are on dopaminergic neurons in the VTA and nucleus accumbens. Gaba receptors modulate dopamine release.

Story of my life given my meds.. :(

A total lack of initiation motivation and reward for effort..

“JUST DO IT” is my mantra, as its the starting thats the huge brick wall.. Sadly I havnt had much success yet and anxiety/panic is starting to form when I have to do (start) things now..

A work in progress, I hope... How far can a life fall apart when the solution “appears” so simple...

Thanks GreenC and 4myD..

:)

I sure got binge watching tv down pat..  :(

One thing that helps is getting all the tiny “pre-cursers” to an activity lined up and done so I can “JUST DO IT”... 

I came across this video about dopamine and I find it very interesting.  I think when coming off benzos, we must be lacking in dopamine, or the ability to use our dopamine properly.  It's about 14 minutes long. 

These are all theories, but they won't help us in any way. The question is which brain region is lacking dopamine. Which circuit? Which neuron (nerve cell)? The brain is very complicated and blanket statements about major neurotransmitters such as dopamine are unlikely to explain anything.

These are all theories, but they won't help us in any way. The question is which brain region is lacking dopamine. Which circuit? Which neuron (nerve cell)? The brain is very complicated and blanket statements about major neurotransmitters such as dopamine are unlikely to explain anything.

Which neuron..??!! -Third on the left past the other one thats broken.. Its not rocket science..

[8d...]

Which neuron..??!! -Third on the left past the other one thats broken.. Its not rocket science..

Cantfly  I needed a good laugh today so thanks for that

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh::thumbsup::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Greencup    :thumbsup:    thanks for that link

it all  finally makes some sense to me. Part of the solution

and I live in hope it balances back out again.

I so agree as the benzos gave me heaps of motivation

and were almost like being on mild amphetamines. 

Now ......  very little motivation.  :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

• 2 months later...

Hi all  :hug: I just spotted this thread, I had Geno testing done and I have a slow COMT gene which means I have too much dopamine, and other stuff in my brain this youtube video explains it quite well its a real biatch to have!!! COMT GENE Mutations, Symptoms & Treatment Explained 

I also have a natural lack of gabba receptors I was born that way its a gene mutation, but highly intelligent, hyperactive, fast talking people  have this mutation high glutamate not enough gaaba receptors . So maybe  the ''cure'' we all need to join mensa? ffks!!  :tickedoff:

I can tell you its not the case now I don't know WTF I'm doing or supposed to doing  half the time, can't stand the sound of even my own voice with the severe hyperacusis, and screaming tinnitus  I've had for ages, and can barely move at all and normal movement is agony but so is keeping still, evn my skin feels to much for my body and my hair can't bloody win  :tickedoff:

Nova xxx  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Hey Novie.. :)

First, thanks for keeping the linked material pretty “layman”.. -In line with GreenC’s.. :)

I dont know either way about gene mutations..Its a bit beyond me so I guess I just wrap it up as personality, traits, and individuality... In more recent times, I too have been looking back and seeing connections with my younger years to what eventuated once flooded with meds and whatnot from the accident (stress, infection, inflammation, antibiotics and the GI, etc..)

Im finding it all very complex, as Maugham kindly pointed out :) , and cant really get my head around it yet, so I wont be much help as I follow along..

Im just now in contact with a few Dietition’s in hope of finding one that can cater to all this and our additional medication difficulties..

I put it down to a pain med thing for myself, but noted that the Drs in last years Benzo Symposium also made a dopamine connection...

Im glad to hear you may have found some direction to follow up on, and wish you every success in what has been a particularly difficult situation and journey..

I hope others here can help (and drag me along in the process, I need the KISS approach though)..

:)

Yes. I wonder if that is a factor in the severe muscle rigidity etc as well given low dopamine is a factor in Parkinson’s and some firms of dystonia.

I tried Mucuna Pruriens powder and it relaxes muscles (but not in good way just like everything else). That is natural Levo Dopa.

I am also wondering if it is low Dopamine it Serotonin or too much glutamate in hyperthalamus/thalamus that causes the constant compulsive insatiable eating of carbs.

I think at this point the science is just not there to show that these mutations are relevant. I haven't really delved into the literature of this specific issue, but overall I wouldn't base any decisions on these genetic tests. Even if someone has polymporhisms, these genetic changes can be compensated on the protein levels or some other ways.

But let me ask you this. Have you ever had an orgasm? Have you enjoyed good food? When you achieved something in your life did it make you feel good? Have you listened to music which made you feel good? Have you smoked or had alcohol that made you feel good? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you do have enough dopamine.

I think at this point the science is just not there to show that these mutations are relevant. I haven't really delved into the literature of this specific issue, but overall I wouldn't base any decisions on these genetic tests. Even if someone has polymporhisms, these genetic changes can be compensated on the protein levels or some other ways.

But let me ask you this. Have you ever had an orgasm? Have you enjoyed good food? When you achieved something in your life did it make you feel good? Have you listened to music which made you feel good? Have you smoked or had alcohol that made you feel good? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, you do have enough dopamine.

Thats exactly what has me stumped...

To stand back, I could say “diminished” or sluggish Dopamine, or perhaps just some of the pathways are compromised..?? Ie, my “initiation motivation” and GI function.. I know im not interested in jumping on a dirtbike and going for a squirt (as an example), but then, im not feeling so well either...

One recent thing thats interesting (to me) is I tried Domperidone (motillium) for gastric emptying for a few days and while it had seemingly no labeled effect, It appeared to give my motivation a significant but polarised shake up.. First a brief boost, then a deterioration that had me speculating that dopamine had been stripped out..!!??, then a few weeks of “much better” before it drifted back to slightly better... -All very speculative of course, esp with so much going on at the same time..

Domperidone is a peripheral (doesn’t cross the blood brain barrier) dopamine agonist, sometimes used  as a diagnostic for things like Parkinsons  and restless limb syndrome, etc..

Prucalopride also has an effect, -a serotonin modulator for GI function (5HT-4).. I think both of these are banned in some countries.. (heart issues..??)

Same, same with a specific dopamine and serotonin enhancing probiotic (that I am very sensitive to)..

Obviously the most likely scenario is a positive effect on my GI (which dominates my life), and perhaps the microbiome and/or its role in neurochemistry..??

Too complex for me, yet interesting, -so im more focused on supporting my body as best I can in a holistic way to do its own “sorting out”, -lest I do more harm than good.. I have lots of room for improvement, so I guess that brings hope...

Still curiosity prevails.. -perhaps with modulating with particular foods, but Id hate to end up dependant on flax seeds or whateva.. :(  Perhaps there is a role there as an intermediary step, but it doesnt help when the professionals (dietition’s) cant think beyond more fibre or FODMAP... :(

Ps.. Im not suggesting anyone try anything I mentioned (asides general health practices perhaps), -There is no “Big Three” or whatever, like has been suggested with other “cures”...  If anything I would suggest there is a downstream complexity that can go well beyond singular neurotransmitter (ie gabba/glutimate) downregulation, -but I suspect thats not news to anyone here..