Parenting in Recovery

[tr...]

I was thinking about how covid has really changed our kids' lives.  My daughter was so excited to decorate her locker for middle school and she is so social.  But all school is online.  My niece just went off to college.  They are not allowed to hang out in each others dorm rooms.  The gym is closed. Most classes are held on zoom.  She even tried out or a sorority. ALl of the sorority gatherings have been on zoom.  My sister is about to pull her out next semester.  She's like, why am I spending all of this money for my child to not have that true experience.  It's just so sad what has happened. Many highschool sports were canceled.  Thank goodness, my son plays golf and that was one of the few sports they did not cancel.  I just remember my highschool and college experience.  Our kids are missing out and it's so sad.  I'm truly stuck between signing my kids up for activities.  I'm just so vulnerable...I would totally not make it or it would put me I a setback. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [La...]

• [Sh...]

• [tr...]

• [ki...]

wow TG she really is missing out on the experience! I think ur sister is right best to wait til this is over so she can enjoy it x

I'd have my daughter do online college too in some regard if covid isn't resolved by next fall (God forbid!), but she's taking sciences which require hands on lab classes and such - so they have to be in person for that.

I've been so wiped out the past few days.. I feel like a sloth lol. Ok..I move better than a sloth, but seriously. I feel plastered to the bed in the morning - not like a comfy cozy thing, more like my body feels heavy.

I might be doing breakfast for dinner today!  Toast for everyone...... :thumbsup:

I will say the days they are attending at the school (today)it's a day where I can be alone and not have to "save face" and act "normal". It feels good to just "be"..whatever it is for that day. I mean I wouldn't want to be alone everyday - that was last year and it was so hard. But it is nice to get the break.

Hugs to you all!  :smitten:

Our county’s COVID cases have dropped so if we stay here for the next two weeks my son’s school will open for hybrid learning which the district decided would be an AM/PM schedule where half the students attend at one time and the other half another time. They’ll offer the option of distance learning still, but my son desperately needs the interaction with his classmates and teacher so he will do in person. (And I desperately need a break, distance learning kindergarten is so frustrating)

Yes these are some crazy scary uncertain times. This covid has probably changed our lives for a long time. We have to adjust and do our best to help our kids to adjust. It's one thing to have to adjust one aspect but this is a hard hit that required adjustment of everything...shopping, paying bills, working, gathering, school, etc

Not easy for most people. 

• 2 weeks later...
My son goes to in-person starting tomorrow. They are doing a modified AM/PM schedule so half of the students attend in the morning and the other half the afternoon. My son is so excited, but I worry about his health. He desperately needs the in person interaction which is why we chose to have him go back to in person instead of staying on zoom.

My son goes to in-person starting tomorrow. They are doing a modified AM/PM schedule so half of the students attend in the morning and the other half the afternoon. My son is so excited, but I worry about his health. He desperately needs the in person interaction which is why we chose to have him go back to in person instead of staying on zoom.

its gone pretty good so far with my kids doing hybrid. Remember theres normal covid concerns and then theres benzo hyper vigilance on top of it :(

Breathe....you have chose what is right for you and your family.

Kits you're a great parent. I know you'll make the right choice. We're here to support you. To support each other.

Trina is right! We have double whammy.

OMG....hybrid at home is why at this rate I will never get back to work..I was out for a few hrs today, and this was the kids day at home doing virtual. It ended by noon. Apparently a sibling war broke out and I had to manage it over the phone while in another town. Picture 2 teens ready to throat punch each other... I was only gone for 3 hrs.

Are any of you working away from home with kids doing school from home? What works? I'm not back to work yet, but hope to be. Sheesh! I can just see me trying to do a team meeting and getting a flood of texts /calls from home.. :tickedoff:

I am having a hard time with my son. At drop off today and yesterday, he keeps running back to me and clinging to me instead of going to his classroom (parents aren’t allowed to go past the gates of the school). Then yesterday he wouldn’t listen to his teacher and was waving scissors around refusing to give them to his teacher when she asked for them and flipped his chair over. I don’t know what to do. I have been talking with him, explaining what behavior is expected of him and that he will lose privileges like going to the park or watching his iPad if he misbehaves, but I don’t know if it’s getting through to him. *sigh* I never thought in a million years I would be the parent of the “problem” child and I feel like such a failure.

I am having a hard time with my son. At drop off today and yesterday, he keeps running back to me and clinging to me instead of going to his classroom (parents aren’t allowed to go past the gates of the school). Then yesterday he wouldn’t listen to his teacher and was waving scissors around refusing to give them to his teacher when she asked for them and flipped his chair over. I don’t know what to do. I have been talking with him, explaining what behavior is expected of him and that he will lose privileges like going to the park or watching his iPad if he misbehaves, but I don’t know if it’s getting through to him. *sigh* I never thought in a million years I would be the parent of the “problem” child and I feel like such a failure.

Sorry Kit. You're not a failure. Your son is having a transition issue. He's afraid of something and is acting out. I've seen this a million times in kids. When he's calm and happy I'd suggest you talk to him about the importance of being good and listening to his teacher. You can create a behavior chart to give him a sticker for each day that he is good. If There's 5 days out of a school week, he must earn 4 stars or stickers to get a special treat on Saturday. You can use this chart to show him how well or not so well he's doing. Also as you show it to him, tell him that he's a good boy and he needs X many more. This will give him a goal to reach each day.

To help with separation anxiety, do an exercise at home with him. Tell him you want him to sit on the couch to watch the tv until you get back. Tell him you will be back very soon. Instruct him not to get up until you return, then YOU go outside for 5 minutes. When you return, immediately tell him how well he did and say " see I came right back!" then hugs & high fives!

Sometime later that day, repeat it. Do this every day for a few days. If he's doing well, increase your time by 3-5 minutes. Repeat this for a few days. If you're not comfortable going outside, you can use your bedroom.

Such great ideas lady x kits it’s something all kids go through, he’s been at home with you for a while now right? He probably will take a little while to get used to the routine but things will settle down. Every time we go somewhere my son acts up (autism) and trust me when I say most parents don’t think oh god that kids so naughty, they just are greatful it’s not their kids doing it. We all have those issues at some point x he’ll settle soon but lady’s advice sounds like a great plan

Kits: sorry..my firstborn did some "acting out". Lady gave a good idea with positive reinforcement through the chart.

Another thing you could try...little ones have not truly developed expressive verbal skills yet to articulate what they're feeling...but they will act it out with dolls or actions figures or stuffed animals. They like to "talk" through the toys. Give him some action figures and just listen..you'd be amazed what comes out. I did a lot of play therapy with my clients. But its prob obvious to you with the clinging he's having a hard time transitioning. With time he'll prob adjust, and routine helps a lot.

Hugs..I know it feels like everyone is judging but they're  not.  :thumbsup:

Haha Trina  :laugh: at least it’s not groin hits like me and my brothers did as kids. All 3 of us laying on the floor holding our crotches  :laugh: bloody Aussie maniacs x awww kits he’s a bubby x  :smitten:

Lady, Shayna, & Trina, thank you for all the wisdom. I appreciate it. The school’s counselor called and suggested some of the things y’all did. My son was good for his teacher after drop off, but boy did getting that call freak me out for a second.  :laugh: