Author Topic: Parenting in Recovery  (Read 3501 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Parenting in Recovery
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2020, 12:25:15 am »
[...]: goodness the gaming!! I could throw the computer/game system out the window some days. i put limitations on it but get so much heat for it!!

Its hard bc so many normal activities for their age are unavailable right now. He did get to do a bit of baseball this summer, but the gaming is a form of socialization and something to do. He was also able to earn bit of money with odd jobs this season as well. I'll be glad for the structure of school again!

[...]: " get my words in without contest" - lol!!! Awesome  :thumbsup:
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 02:43:50 am »
Newish member. Mom of 3 boys, 8,6, and 2. Glad to see a support group with parents that understand the difficulties of going through all of this.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 01:46:41 pm »
I'm going to keep it real...today was my 2 teens first day of attendance back to school under a hybrid plan ( 2 days at school/3 days home).
I completely broke down last night and did not get to sleep till around 3 am. The whole evening I was being their " rock", helping get them organized, having positive discussions on adapting and managing the changes. ...but internally I was not adapting well.

Up early to drop them off, the whole ride there they were "coping with humor" but then as we got close fully admitted they were nervous.and thats ok.
Everything was very well organized at the school - but it was just so weird. So different. As I drove down the street I started to break down again.
I'm okayish now, and I know that when the "dust settles" it will be better. But what an adjustment. I'm sure that where I'm at in my own recovery process plays into this.

Any other parents in this stage of adjustment feeling the uncertainty that want to jump in?

[Buddie]

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:30 pm »
I couldnít bring myself to jump in, because my health has been so crazy the last few months. Between the UTI, antibiotic reaction, oral thrush, severe reflux, random fevers, and breathing issues (all of it wd related, but itís the thrush and reflux causing inflammation - visible by laryngoscopy - in my throat giving my sensitive nerves a feeling of breathlessness), I was too scared to put four kids back into it all. The middle schoolers do a better job distancing, but I have three in elementary/pre-K.

So, right now, my grieving is over an entire sense of normal lost. I have four kids who want to be back with their friends so badly, but we kept them home to minimize contacts wherever possible. Sadly, their home doesnít feel like it should either. We have a tutor helping manage all of the homeschool with me, and sheís been a huge blessing. Itís still so hard not to compare myself today to the way over-functioning me of yesteryear.

I know itís important to allow ourselves to feel the feels and to remember that the whole world is learning how to do life in a new way. I guess we all need to practice kindness towards ourselves as we figure out which way is up again. Hang in there, Trina.

Me too.

[...]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:20:22 am by [Buddie] »

[Buddie]

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 12:47:17 am »
[...] you've def had a rough go physically... :(

WE all have to do whats right for us and our families. I'm just so glad you have help. And like you I grieve the loss of my crazy multitasking self...but in reflection I see how over the top I was - but this is def not my version of slowing down!

Keep us posted on how you make out with the thrush and stuff.

[Buddie]

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 12:55:15 am »
Iím now managing my sonís distance-learning for kindergarten, plus massive wildfires nearby. Ugh. Thankfully we havenít had to evacuate, but we are ready if needed. Life doesnít stop for us in withdrawal, thatís for sure.

[Buddie]

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 08:14:27 pm »
Awe [...]! you're out west?! now that is stress.....I'm really sorry. Thats a lot under normal circumstances.. but then add a pandemic and benzo wd... :(

My kids came home from school in decent spirits...chatted about the changes and even had funny things to share. So I'm happy that the first day was not the worst...I guess my "mom worries' went into overdrive the night before.  ::)

[Buddie]

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 09:28:20 pm »
Iím in Australia and have 3 kids, 17B, 12G and 8B. My 8yr old has autism and my hubby had a stroke last year and is disabled. I had to home school earlier this year for 2 mths, that was during a very difficult time during my wd. In Australia things are a bit different to other countries and I was allowed to send my kids back to school on compassionate grounds. I take my hat off to parents in countries that have been homeschooling this whole time, and going thru what were going thru. U are amazing! Please donít compare to what other parents are doing, weíre doing the best we can, and no one posts bad things on Facebook anyway! I try my best and always take my kids somewhere fun during my windows. Theyíre good kids and they know their dad and I are doing the best they can x but I have to admit they are on devices a lot more than Iíd like  :-\

[Buddie]

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 08:29:17 pm »
Hi everyone! I wanted to start this bc parenting brings a whole other set of challenges to this already challenging journey. Thought I'd make a space where we can discuss our fears concerns, as well as tips and tricks to getting our families through this as best as possible.open to Moms and/or Dads (parenting grandparents, etc...), single or coupled.

I'll start...I'm parenting with my husband. My kids are 14 and 17. "Fake it till you make it" seems to be the name of the game most of the time, but let's be honest - they know us. they know when things are off. It's a fine line between them being aware that we are needing support and time to heal, but also wanting them to feel safe and secure and have some kind of  "normal" life.

Hats off to those of you single parenting or those with little ones..that is definitely harder.  :smitten:
Yes indeed. It's tough trying to heal and be a parent. I'm bedridden and my daughter is doing virtual school online due to covid. It's hard when she needs me to get up to help her with schoolwork. Sweetest child ever cuz she cheers me on then congratulate me for making it long enough to help her. Makes me cry that she sees me like this every day.

[Buddie]

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 08:34:03 pm »
It is hard for them, my daughter used to write me letters saying what weíd do once I got better. Kids are pretty resilient though a lot more than we realise.  :smitten: