PA Wants to change Alprazolam to Loprazolam for taper, need adivce.

[Li...]

I failed on my own to taper from Alprazolam 0.25 mg with a liquid titration. My throat got inflamed.    The new PA I’m seeing wants to switch me to 1 mg of Loprazolam, then taper off of that. He said I could make a direct switch, then gradually Taper off of the Loprazolam. Some info I found said that 1 mg of Loprazolam is equal to 0.50 mg of Alprazolam, twice what I’m taking now. I also found a comment online that someone had a terrible time 2-3 weeks later from a switch like this. I am concerned. I want so badly to get off of the Alprazolam. So far this PA is the only one I have found that seems to know anything about micro tapering. He sounds like he can help me. Is there anyone who is familiar with an Alprazolam/Xanax switch to Loprazolam. Is there a better benzo to switch to that would be easier to micro taper off of???  Thank you for any help you can give.

This is my personal opinion based on what I've read on this board and other places, but I think Lorazepam (Ativan) and Klonopin are the most evil of the benzos (of course, we know that ALL of them are bad news!). Ativan is highly, highly addictive in a very short time frame (I speak from personal experience).

Have you considered a cross-over to Valium? I think that's what Ashton recommends??? Of course, every individual reacts differently … I hope others who are knowledgeable about crossing over will weigh in.

[96...]
There is no need to switch. Check out Dr. Shipko's book Xanax Withdrawal. Prof. Ashton says that sometimes it's hard to switch from alprazolam and clonazepam to anything else.

Thank You Pacenik. I will check out the book. If I could stay on what I have and taper from there I’d be okay with that Concept since my body’s used to the medication. I just cannot do the liquid titration again. The binder dissolves, but the medication itself does not. The little bits of med burn my esophagus. Thank you for the tip on the book.

And Thank you Restoration 123. I wasn’t sure about the Lorazepam since I don’t know anyone who’s taken it. Medical professionals really don’t know what they’re giving out since they don’t take these meds themselves. I’ll try to persuade the PA to switch to Valium instead. Although I heard that not everyone tolerates that very well either. It’s a crap shoot no matter what I do, I guess. Thank you.

Thank You Pacenik. I will check out the book. If I could stay on what I have and taper from there I’d be okay with that Concept since my body’s used to the medication. I just cannot do the liquid titration again. The binder dissolves, but the medication itself does not. The little bits of med burn my esophagus. Thank you for the tip on the book.

And Thank you Restoration 123. I wasn’t sure about the Lorazepam since I don’t know anyone who’s taken it. Medical professionals really don’t know what they’re giving out since they don’t take these meds themselves. I’ll try to persuade the PA to switch to Valium instead. Although I heard that not everyone tolerates that very well either. It’s a crap shoot no matter what I do, I guess. Thank you.

Does Xanax come in a liquid form? I'm currently tapering off of Sertraline, and my doc prescribed the liquid version of it for me -- it makes things much easier.

What are you using to dissolve your tablets? (I've heard that water actually doesn't properly dissolve tablets.)

Does Xanax come in a liquid form? I'm currently tapering off of Sertraline, and my doc prescribed the liquid version of it for me -- it makes things much easier.

What are you using to dissolve your tablets? (I've heard that water actually doesn't properly dissolve tablets.)

According to this website Alprazolam does come in liquid form.  https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/ob/index.cfm