Weightlifting

[...]

Thought I’d start a thread for any fellow lifters out there. I know we’re sick and we might not all be able to lift, but I thought we could talk about lifting as a distraction at the very least. Maybe we could talk about past lifting, lifting during benzo wd, or plans to lift once you’re healed.

All types of lifting welcome. Bodybuilding, Olympic, powerlifting, strongman, CrossFit, etc.

All levels and ages too.

I’m suffering with intense fatigue, but I still lift. It’s the only thing that keeps me sane. I tried going a few months without lifting due to corona, but I felt way worse.

So, any other lifters out there?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Be...]

• [Ic...]

• [ba...]

I actually just started lifting again and it seems to be helping me a little bit. I've gone four times in about 9 days and plan to go again today. I just try to do a lift for every major muscle group in my upper body and then some leg press and sit ups. Then I do cardio for about half hour.

That’s great, boom. I think the greatest benefit I’ve seen is anger reduction. I’m always in a better mood if I lift vs when I don’t.

Working out Is crucial In my opinion, usually I lift weights, but since the Pandemic I started running more and using resistance bands..When I don't sleep I skip running and Just walk.

I agree, lonelysoul. The difference in my mood when I took this few months off was really shocking. I was miserable.

I lift Monday through Friday, Saturdays off because the gym is too crowded and I’m being careful with the virus. My gym lets me go in when nobody else is there during the week because my wife is high risk (pregnant). I’m really thankful they did that for me. I put up my squat rack on the back porch, but I was just never motivated as much as I am at the gym.

That’s great, boom. I think the greatest benefit I’ve seen is anger reduction. I’m always in a better mood if I lift vs when I don’t.

I'm wondering how much is related to testosterone levels. They say lifting is the best type of exercise for boosting t levels.

I'm a female, but have always been interested to know why men need to exercise and lift weights so much?

Not sure. There as just as many women who lift at my gym.

I'm wondering how much is related to testosterone levels. They say lifting is the best type of exercise for boosting t levels.

I don’t know. But compound lifts like squats and deadlifts have been shown to  increase testosterone.

Today’s workout: Thrusters, ring dips, hang cleans, pushups, bike.

Feel pretty spent. Fatigue upon waking, but what else is new? Feel better now that I went.

I had to laugh because I watched a show on TV a few nights ago called Professor T.  He's a very ornery and negative man.  He said that modern day sports stems back to primal battles and wars with other people.  He said that sports today are a sublimation of that need to kill each other and is criminal behavior.  The guy was nuts anyway on the show, but I guess it did sound funny when I heard it.

Thought I’d start a thread for any fellow lifters out there. I know we’re sick and we might not all be able to lift, but I thought we could talk about lifting as a distraction at the very least. Maybe we could talk about past lifting, lifting during benzo wd, or plans to lift once you’re healed.

All types of lifting welcome. Bodybuilding, Olympic, powerlifting, strongman, CrossFit, etc.

All levels and ages too.

I’m suffering with intense fatigue, but I still lift. It’s the only thing that keeps me sane. I tried going a few months without lifting due to corona, but I felt way worse.

Bloody hell, how do you lift with this fatigue, which i have too and also very weak and get out of breath with a thumping heart just walking up stairs.  Has the lifting helped to improve these symptoms?

thanks

PS I used to lift many years ago but not of late due to ill health

All levels and ages too.

Bloody hell, how do you lift with this fatigue, which i have too and also very weak and get out of breath with a thumping heart just walking up stairs.  Has the lifting helped to improve these symptoms?

thanks

PS I used to lift many years ago but not of late due to ill health

I just force myself to do it. Some days I feel the sick exhaustion in my soul, but I fight it. Sometimes walking up the stairs is hard for me too! I do think it has helped. I went a few months without lifting and I felt worse. I would wake up with that sick fatigue and would just lie around and feel worse. Pushing through it almost makes me feel like I get to the other side of it in a way. But some days, like today, are difficult. Only 4 hours of sleep, so I’m really having a tough time.

Questions to those on this thread: did you use preworkouts before benzos? Do you think you will ever feel comfortable trying a preworkout again? I used preworkouts prior to benzos and they are loaded with stuff we can't have, but I can't see going the rest of my life without it. Also, how is your fatigue? I am so exhausted that I have to be careful as to how I use my energy. I can't nap or go to bed early because I will have a panic attack (I don't know why this is), so I have to go through my day using energy where I absolutely need it. I am so tired of this feeling...

Hey Peppermint,

I steer clear of any pre-workout. The most I’ll do is a recovery drink they have at my gym which has around 25mg of caffeine. I’m pretty much caffeine free except for one of those every now and then. Maybe I’ll drink some black tea (60mg caffeine), pre-workout. I agree that the pre-workout drinks are full of junk we don’t need.

I suffer with severe fatigue. I got 3 hours of sleep last night, but did squats this morning. I just say screw it and work past it. But I definitely feel better now that I worked out.

Anybody else been lifting? I’ve been having a bad week of sleep. One night was only 3 hours, but I went to the gym anyway and my mood was vastly improved because of it. I’m usually very angry when I get little sleep. The gym helped.

Today I did hang cleans, box jumps, sit-ups.

Hope everyone is well today.

DBM, I am sorry that you're not getting a lot of feedback on this support group. I think it is admirable that you are able to workout! I am unable to do more than go for a walk. One of my biggest symptoms of paradoxical effect or interdose withdrawal is HORRIFIC stomach pain. When the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong, they just decided to take out my gallbladder. I am not sure if I am still healing from the gallbladder or if I have the worst case of benzo belly, but although my stomach doesn't hurt persay, it is very sensitive and I can't exert myself without upsetting my stomach. I am a little scared to workout because the times I tried, I had panic attacks.

Thanks, Icy. I didn’t think this topic would be overly popular given how sick everyone is. But I thought maybe some past lifters could distract themselves a bit until they could lift again. Lifting has helped my mood like nothing else. Huge benefit, even though sometimes I suffer the consequences of overdoing it. Risk/benefit analysis for me.

I understand where you’re coming from. I still have benzobelly. So frustrating. I had lower abdominal pain at the beginning of my WD and did an MRI and everything. Nothing. Just benzos. It’s crazy.

Hope you are doing well.

BDM, I am doing a little better these last couple of days. Right now, my biggest concern is trying to keep my full time job teaching 8th grade Social Studies and Reading and teaching college part-time. My brain fog and fatigue has been beyond insane, and I didn't think I could do it, but I have set up my online course room and am ready to go!

I am worried that I will never be able to have an energy drink or preworkout again. I know they are not healthy, but I miss that feeling of taking one right before a workout and just getting really pumped up for a great workout. I can workout without one, but it was just the most blissful feeling, and it made the workout so much more enjoyable.

I also had the MRI, endoscopy, and ultrasound. I had stones, but I feel like most Americans have stones because of our eating habits, and the pain wasn't even gallbladder pain; it was my middle and lower abdomen. My bile duct was inflamed and the doctors thought that a stone or two had passed, but I am wondering if that was just benzos/ADs since they cause inflammation.

Question: is it just me that the fatigue is behind my eyes? Like, it feels as if I could just close my eyes and drift into a deep sleep. Of course, I can't because then I will have a panic attack. If it were bodily fatigue, I could deal. But my eyes burn and feel so sleepy and out of it.

I know what you mean. I had to give up a professional career. Very difficult to come to terms with what these poisons have taken away from me.

Yeah, I get the behind-the-eye fatigue. I know what you’re saying. Mine is mostly in my shoulders and legs. In the big joints. It’s a sick exhaustion. Unreal.

That makes me feel reassured. I thought something was seriously wrong with my adrenal gland because the tiredness behind my eyes can be so unreal. When I do have bodily fatigue, it is in my calves and between my shoulders.