hyper sexual

[ne...]

:'( so im in a withdrawal of klonopin . Ive been shaving off my twice weekly of .25..I know its weird i don't take it every day but at this point this is what i do  I recently became hyper sexual after no sex for many years been on Klonopin for 10 years as needed. I got myself involved with a friend in a way i never have before and did impulsive things.

It is a symptom.  I got all sorts of freaky frisky, but not so far out there that I am bothered by it.  I was flying high on the dopamine and oxytocin, but it was also very much compulsive.  I wasn’t a prude to begin with but I had about 8-9 months of adventuresome activity before it suddenly disappeared and libido came to screeching halt(another symptom). 

It was helpful in that I was able to feel good for a bit, but I definitely was lucky in that I didn’t didn’t execute every compulsion and that the after hit of malaise was tolerable.  I can definitely understand regret and shame quickly becoming a very real factor.  I think I was able to let it all go when the symptom ended and I could very well see that it was a symptom just like the rage or anxieties.  I can’t really be beating myself up for eternity because I was dominated by benzo withdrawal symptoms.  I am also not comfortable with giving myself a free pass, so I think the bit of shame I have is normal and in-line with who I am unmedicated.

I will accept and fully move past it in time and I hope you can also.

If you can chuckle at yourself and your own antics even when it isn’t all that funny = you will have a heck of a lot easier time accepting the uncomfortable things you have found yourself compelled to do.  I found that the others involved respond pretty well to the “no thanks, it’s out of my system now” if it was done nicely and with some self deprecating humor. 

Benzo's basically have us flat lining through life and when we remove them we see things more clearly and discover feelings long dead.  The trouble is, this process also comes with intrusive thoughts most of which are negative, I beat myself up a lot when I was recovering, I hope you can come to terms with your actions and not recriminate yourself.

Thanks for your honesty.  Having an out of control libido, on and off, has been a theme for me as well.  Forgive yourself for trying to make yourself feel better, and learn from your experience.  Remember that you don't have to involve others!  ;)

My self doubt and shame seem to have a thing going all on their own.  When my w/d symptoms get big,  I can have all kinds of self doubt.  My body is struggling....why not my mind?  Its been a good chance to see that I need to build up inner love and compassion instead of getting it from the outside....

Big Hugs

Our chemicals and impulses are all over in this process. the pendulum swings wide for awhile (back and forth) until it finds balance. One day anger, another day sobbing. On day aroused, another day "dead".

Another symptom in all this is beating ourselves up over EVERYTHING that we've ever said or done...so breathe, "forgive" yourself and move forward in peace.

:smitten:

I'm going through this as well.  My libido is normally dead...  has been for far longer than I was taking benzos.  I jumped off klonopin and valium, and got through the acute wd.  Then, started feeling my libido elevate, like I've never felt.  I haven't acted on it.  I think it's just CNS, blood flow, and hormones finding their balance that causes this symptom.  It's a little embarrassing having to hide random boners haha.  I've been wearing myself out with exercise which helps this and other symptoms.

Crawling,

Don't beat yourself up; beat yourself off!  :o

I had this on a huge scale. Was mostly able to see the funny side of it but it was mighty annoying, inconvenient and made me feel a bit grubby!

Yes my libido has been crazy too. If I didn’t have such nasty agoraphobia and high anxiety all the time, I would be a bit concerned that I would be doing things I might regret later.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like part of healng after years of libido-crushing benzo use. I see the shame as healthy too - your conscience setitng limiits on you. In the future you may look back on it as "just a phase". 

Maybe not thinking things through being impulsive may be attributed to w/d but more often than not most people aren't hyper sexual because of w/d. Maybe you are becoming more normal since you are taking the drug out of your body but I have not heard anyone else say that was as symptom they had. I wouldn't be ashamed, however I would try to think before I acted only for the sake of myself if I felt I was being too impulsive and making mistakes.

Riley, it might not be typical but I promise you it's real. I can tell by how the other people describe it that they have experienced what I have experienced too. I went through my spell when Wimbledon Tennis Championship was running last year. I was stimulated by the sight of women on a TV screen that I am not normally sexually attracted. Like, women who must be in their late 40s / early 50s, which is not normal me. Not even in HD, either! Dialled up even further if I saw someone I was legit attracted to. I saw rose petals on the floor and what popped into my mind was female genitalia. And it's not just the stimulation, it's the specific dirty thoughts and urges to do untold things. Doing something about it only solving the problem for about 30 mins.

When you're 33 and masturbating twice per day is putting limits on yourself, that's hypersexuality. The difference between how I am normally compared with how I was as described above is not that I now have the filthy thoughts but have the discipline not to do anything. The real me is nowhere near that level of filth. I wasn't even as a teenager.

It is a subset of OCD and is fairly common in drug addiction/dependency. 

I was so into the obsessive thinking and planning of sexual shenanigans.  The acts themselves were quite fleeting and not quite as amazing as my constant thoughts had built them up to be.  Oftentimes I would emotionally crash out afterwards and feel pretty bad about all of it until I latched onto the next taboo endeavor. 

I managed to somewhat understand it and thus was better able to keep things from getting out of hand during the course of that symptom. you usually don’t have a lot of control over intrusive thoughts.  You do have control of ACTING on intrusive thoughts though. 

I know that some folks will have it much more severely and in that case I would suggest getting a substance use counselor(they should be well versed in it) to help you understand it and confine it while you traverse the symptom = it goes away.

I experience this and for me it isn’t a matter of OCD at all. Just I am turned on all the time and want sex. It must be like one of the other commenters said more blood flow and hormones. My husband is happy to be the recipient but at times he is like “not again”. 😆

This thread has been eye opening....good thing we are all adults here.  ;)

Seriously though, those of you who have chosen to be so transparent about this is actually a really good thing, bc this can be such a taboo topic, but obviously needs to be mentioned bc so many are having a hard time navigating it.

Really appreciating everyone's honestly. Sucha a good group of ppl on here!

Crawling,

Don't beat yourself up; beat yourself off!  :o

I had this on a huge scale. Was mostly able to see the funny side of it but it was mighty annoying, inconvenient and made me feel a bit grubby!

Bahaha, thanks for the advice XD

• 1 month later...
Oh god, this is me now. At first I was happy to feel some desire come back but now it's kind of unmanageably off the charts! I truly cannot focus on anything else -- feels a bit bad in a manic sort of way.

:D I must admit.  I'm just starting my taper from Klonopin (Today!) and have been reading way to much here on BB.  It's has created fear and doubt, to some degree, until now!

I thank everyone for making me smile and look forward to a possible w\d symptom.  ::)

Oh, almost forgot, let's all watch how many views this post gets and responses.  I hope the Moderators can come up with a prize  :thumbsup:

oh wow, so I'm not the only one.

I was always reading about the decrease libido and I was thinking there was something very wrong with me.

I'm depressed, anxious, can't sleep, nauseated and still horny as hell  ;D.

Hey, don't worry about it. There is a lot of stigma around sex, but at the end of the day, rationally, there's nothing wrong with it!

Time and patience

Hi, sorry to hear you are struggling with this.I went through a period of being hyper sexual too. I could go years of feeling no sexual feelings and then I would become huper sexual. I have seen it listed as a benzo symptom. Don't beat yourself up about it, you have nothing to feel ashamed about. Best wishes

oh wow, so I'm not the only one.

I'm depressed, anxious, can't sleep, nauseated and still horny as hell  ;D.

Big same! A very confused combination of symptoms. What even is being a human anymore lol..

• 3 months later...
thanks for the reply . its still there. Insane sex drive but now it ebbs and flows.  I will feel it make a date and then when he comes over it might not be happening and idont want any physical touch.