Hair Dye

[I ...]

So I haven't colored my hair in 2 years and it is definitely time for a touch up. Now I don't go to a hair salon to do it , I've always used the store boxed hair dye and its always come out great. Anyway just wondering if anyone has had any bad reactions with it or if it has reved up symptoms. Thanks in advance

I started feeling a slight allergic reaction to my boxed hair dye.  I'm honestly not sure if it was benzos or just time, as I read that just over time you can start to develop and allergy to hair dye.  I switched to henna and have had zero problems with that.  Just make sure you have lots of access to fresh air.  For me, I couldn't tolerate the smell of it. I would start to feel like I couldn't breathe as well, after I smelled it, but I was fine once I was out in fresh air, so that might be more of a chemical intolerance than an allergy.

I've never had problems with hair dye, either before benzos, during withdrawal or recovery.  I have always gone to a salon, but due to COVID I've become a real DIY.  I ordered my color online, I sent in a picture of my hair color and they matched it.

I do know that it is possible to develop an allergy to hair dye, it happened to my mother-in-law. She's lucky to have vibrant and lovely gray hair. Mine is simply mousy gray, hence the continued use of hair dye.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I can honestly say that dyeing my hair was different this past month. i do my roots every month or so. I know blonde can be more harsh than say putting in a dark tone. I've never had problems before, but his month I had a decent stretch where I was feeling up to it so I started in as usual.

Then I just felt weird. I can't explain it really. I just felt off - more so than I did when I started. I let the product sit on my head the needed time and then rinsed as usual. within the next hour i started to feel a bit better. So I'm thinking I may be sensitive to it now? Stupid recovery...

Can't say for sure but it was def worth taking note of.

I'll be sure to be aware next time I'm due for a touch up and see how I feel.

just a suggestion...I wear a face mask 😷 when I dye my hair and also wear glasses so I don’t breath the chemicals because I am so hypersensitive to chemicals.  :tickedoff:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Its the smell that used to get to me tbh which would reve up symptoms.

I also used to just touch up bits of grey here and there rather than lather my whole scalp with it

shania

It is possible to develop allergies basically to any chemical (including drugs) that we are exposed to. But hair coloring dyes will not affect the taper process.