.5mg xanax for a few years hard to stop?

[Te...]

I been taking 5mg xanax for a few years I’d like to see if I get better being off the stuff, is it hard to taper off .5 Xanax. I mostly take it all at night. Reason I take is Because I have anxiety stress sometimes panic attack. I get chest pains that’ seem to be on left side sometimes by armpit and can go into my middle arm can feel like burning. Wish I could figure out how to stop that or what’s causing it. Been to cardiologist already all looked good in heart area he checked. I had this for years . Xanax seems to help it some but maybe making it worse I dunno maybe since I mainly take it at night I may need some durning the day. Maybe just taper down somehow and quit and see how I feel ..

Hi Teryx :hug:  Welcome to Benzobuddies.

We are glad you are here.    You are very wise to get  a particularly worrying symptom checked out by your doctor. Some of the physical symptoms of withdrawal can mimic serious diseases, its always best to rule out any other causes. You will find some very valuable support and information on the forum. I suggest you do some research, check out the taper plan boards and post questions.  We have a great community, our members are very supportive.

Benzodiazepines should be tapered off slowly, reducing your daily dose by somewhere between 5% and 10% every 10 - 14 days is the rule of thumb. You can go slower,  whatever feels comfortable. The aim is to keep symptoms manageable. 

I would recommend reading through this manual The Ashton Manual.  It is a great resource for understanding the effect these drugs have on our body.  As well as tapering and withdrawal information, It includes a list of common symptoms 

I'll leave you a few links:

Planning Your Withdrawal(TaperPlans)

The Xanax Club

We have a board dealing with Anxiety issues, you can connect with others who can offer some ideas and help.

Anxiety     

If you care to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give you relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Welcome aboard

Magrita