Been off Clonazepam for six months!!! Good riddance and I'm thankful!!

[Ra...]

Hello Everyone.  I hope that my story brings hope to those struggling from Benzo tapering/withdrawals, etc.  I originally took Clonazepam for panic attacks that I was having in 2005.  I had lost a lot of family members in a very short time, had small kids and was struggling with a failing marriage.  Life became really stressful and I ended up in the ER.  The Dr. put me on Clonazepam and Prozac.  After about 6-months I weaned myself off the Prozac but continued taking the Benzo.  I took it for a total of fifteen years.  I started off on 1 mg and went down to 0.5 mg at the advice of my Doctor and for ten of the fifteen years I took 0.5 mg.  Nobody told me about long-term tolerance or side effects from the drug so I just kept taking it year after year.  I started to not be able to sleep, I acquired tinnitus, anxiety and depression.  In 2014 I had a bizarre episode of vertigo that lasted for three weeks.  I went to several Doctors and they found nothing wrong.  The neurologist mentioned that Clonazepam can cause vertigo in some people so after that situation I researched and watched every video I could find on how to taper.  I was determined to get off.

Thankfully,  I found this group, started reading stories here and asking lots of questions.  I finally began a liquid taper at the end of 2017 after two failed attempts at cutting pills.  I kept a journal, recorded my progress and slowly tapered down to the smallest of mg's and that was it... I was done and so proud of myself for succeeding!!  My two-year micro-taper was without incident except for a few minor set-backs.  The withdrawals were minimal and I'm so thankful and happy to be rid of a drug that I had taken for way too long.  I blame Clonazepam on the demise of my marriage because it really changed me. 

Although I am not back to who I want to be, the Benzo's are a thing of the past and I'm healing every day.  I have to tell you that if I can do it... so can you.  I'm a really sensitive person with a very difficult background so don't allow anything to keep you from your desires and goals.  Take small steps, be patient and before you know it you will be at the end.  It's not easy but it is possible to be Benzo free! Find a way that works for you...  and be kind to yourself!!! Blessings!  :thumbsup::smitten:

Thank you for writing your success story RaquelRocks, you sound terrific and I'm happy for you!  I know how much I depended on these stories and to find one which mirrored my situation was invaluable, you've just given someone hope, thank you again.

Pamster

I'm curious if you still have tinnitus.  If not, you are lucky.  I have been off Clonazepam for over four years, and I still have tinnitus.  It has been my worst and longest lasting withdrawal symptom.  I fear it will never go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RaquelRocks!  Thank you for sharing your success story!!!!  I´m very happy you made it!! 

Leo

Your very welcome and I wish you the very best!

I'm curious if you still have tinnitus.  If not, you are lucky.  I have been off Clonazepam for over four years, and I still have tinnitus.  It has been my worst and longest lasting withdrawal symptom.  I fear it will never go away.

I do still have it but I don't blame it solely on the med.  I blame it on my lifestyle and listening to very loud music, etc.  I don't think the Benzo helped but I've come to just accept it.  It would be awesome if it went away but if it doesn't...  oh well. ???

Thank you for writing your success story RaquelRocks, you sound terrific and I'm happy for you!  I know how much I depended on these stories and to find one which mirrored my situation was invaluable, you've just given someone hope, thank you again.

Pamster

Thss as is Pamster... I am glad that I was an encouragement to you.  :smitten:

Wonderful news, Raquel Rocks! Thanks so much for coming back to share your story. I wish you all the best!

Thank you! I wish you the best as well!  :smitten::thumbsup: