Anyone who was on for 15+ years and cold-turkeyed?

[lo...]

I took .50 mg. clonazepam daily for 20 years. I was given them for sleep issues and they were prescribed by my neurologist.  I never increased my original dose and never abused them.  Throughout the years on it, I went through multiple health issues.  I even had to have an emergency hysterectomy, cystocele, and rectocele in 2014, which I now attribute to the benzo because I had never, ever had any issues with female organs in the past. 

In 2018 the issues really got bad. I wasn't sleeping, started to become agoraphobic, became bed-bound, and started having more than 75 other symptoms. I had no clue what was happening to me and, of course, went to a multitude of doctors to try to find out what was wrong.  None of the doctors could find anything wrong and I was referred to a psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with "clinical depression" and prescribed a multitude of psych meds. Nothing worked and only created more symptoms and problems.

In October of 2019, I happened across Lisa Ling's documentary on "The Benzo Crisis". It was an eye-opening experience for me, as I was finally able to relate all of my issues to the clonazepam I had been taking for 20 years. This began my journey of getting off the benzo, realizing I was in tolerance withdrawals.  To make a long story short, I have been kindled by the medical system 3 times and was cold-turkeyed in March, 2020.  It has been over 4 months now since I have not taken any benzos but I am going through extreme physical and mental torture every day.  I am looking for hope and/or help from anyone who has a similar experience to mine: being cold turkeyed after many years of use.  I pray for hope and healing for all of us.  :smitten:

Oh my goodness, I didn't realize you did a cold turkey and it's only been 4 months, I know exactly how you feel, awful!  I'm so sorry to hear how long and how much suffering you had to endure before you realized what was happening to you.  We had a huge uptick in membership after the Lisa Ling special, it was an eye opener for many.

I quit cold turkey too, I wasn't on it as long as you but I suffered just the same.  It took me awhile to recover but I have and I'm back to normal with no PTSD and no lingering symptoms.

Why did you quit cold turkey, were there special circumstances which prevented you from tapering?  I quit that way because I didn't know they needed to be tapered, that was in 2007 and somehow I hung on and didn't reinstate just like you so please have hope you will recover too.

I had a rapid taper...symptoms are no joke. but go through the success stories..there are other CT's in there. They healed. Take good care of yourself and be patient...have to give your body the time it needs to heal.

you're not alone..we're here with you. 

I wasn't on as long as you, but CTs and rapids are very harsh!

Try and read some of eastcoast posts I know she was on for like 20 years I think.

Keep going if you are 4 months out. I'm so sorry, I know the suffering :(

I was on Benzo for 10 yers and I have CT almost 3 years ago. It does get better but I myself Im not fully healed yet.

I truly think that time is the only real healer, but try find stuff that help you alleviate the bad symptoms.

What works for one does not for the other. Check your diet. 

For me ear acupuncture works and eases my flare ups.

You are brave and well done for being 4 months off.  :thumbsup: