I'm glad to be here

[Gi...]

I've never used a forum before and am a little hesitant that I'm doing this correctly.  I am a full time caregiver to my 79 year old mother who has been diagnosed with dementia and most recently epilepsy.  She's taken valium on and off since the 1970s for anxiety.  Three years ago she was given a prescription of Ativan 1mg daily.  Exactly one year ago she had her first grand mal seizure.  My gut feeling was that the seizure was some how related to the Ativan.  After recent research, I'm convinced of it.  She's been nonverbal for almost a year now.  Otherwise, in great physical shape.  Her memory is actually good, with the exception of short term memory loss.  On Mother's day, I started what I believed to be a slow taper of 12.5%, which was half of what the dr recommended.  But, this triggered another Grand Mal seizure.  So, I am desperate for some guidance and support in all areas of weaning my precious, beautiful mother from this evil drug. 

Hello GivingGlory and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  We're glad you found us!

I'm so sorry your dear mother has had such a rough time with Valium and now Ativan. You'll find a wealth of good information to help you help your mother.  You'll also find support from a caring community of others who understand what this process is like. 

It's good you've tried to do a slow gradual taper.  We generally suggest a taper with even smaller cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  Given your mother's frailty it may be best to make cuts closer to 5%.  This will be easier on her central nervous system and help keep her withdrawal symptoms to a minimum .

I'm assuming your mother's doctor is aware of the seizures?

Please take your time exploring the site and post with questions of your own by starting a New Topic, perhaps on one of these boards:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

We suggest The Ashton Manual to members - it's an excellent resource on benzo withdrawal.  You'll find a list of many (but not all) withdrawal symptoms in Ch. III.

It will help other members to readily see where your mother is in her benzo journey so please create a signature.  Here's how. Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile.

We're glad you're here!  Please reach out for support.

Brighterday.  :)

GivingGlory

Welcome to Benzo Buddies. Your mother is blessed to have you to take such loving care of her.  I am sorry she is having trouble with the medication. It must be a worry for you.  I myself am tapering off of Ativan and I agree with Brighterday that going slow will lesson withdrawal symptoms and is easier on the CNS (Central Nervous System).

You are in the right place. There is a lot of information and support here.  Let me know if I can help in any way.

JuJuBi  :hug: