Do I holt or continue.

[Ga...]

Some advice from my Benzo buddies,

I have been tapering from 10mg of diazepam, I commenced this in April and am now on 5mg of diazepam!

I was put on diaZepam after having a breakdown in January of this year. I have made some really good progress, however life has thrown some more stress factors my way this past month, a-swell as returning back to work as a social worker after having 6 months off.

My recent stress factors have evidently increased my anxiety, I’m wondering do I allow life to settle somewhat before completing a further taper.

I’m very conscious the longer I’m on benzo’s the harder withdrawal is likely to be. What I don’t want, is to fall too hard, this being amplified by my current tapering plan.

I’m currently reducing by 0.5 every two weeks, your advice and perspective would be gratefully appreciated. X

Many people benefit from holding their dose to let things settle down. Life is going to keep throwing things at us though. As you get lower in dose you may find it’s necessary to start making smaller cuts and holding more frequently. Your body will tell you what you need if you listen.  :smitten:

Thankyou so much for your encouraging words ☺️

You’re right, life continues to throw various stresses our way!!, life doesn’t give us a break just because we’re tapering!

I hit a brick wall 3 weeks ago, my taper appeared to catch up with me, it frightened me a little, I think I became a slightly over confident!!, I’ve definitely learnt from this, I need to feel and listen to my body!.

X

Kudos to you for working during your taper, that alone is amazing. I could not have done it.

Stress that comes with working is likely to make this a little more challenging and I agree with kit that holding your dose might help.  At the least I’d try slowing things down.

I held my dose for two months when I was tapering with no negative effects, only positive. Once I started tapering again it went easier. Anything other than an increase is progress.

:smitten:

Thankyou Challis 💗

I’m fortunate that I’ve been on benzo’s for a relatively short period of time, perhaps this is why I’ve been able to balance tapering and working.

My father went on Valium in the early 70’s and still remains on them, I have many child hood memories of my father attempting to come off with little success.

If anything my Fathers dependency has made me determined to come off, I read your story, you’re an inspiration to us all 💗