Hello

[Ab...]

I have been on clonozapem for about 5 years ish. My doctor switched me over to Xanax about 3 months ago .5 as need. I am now on week one of taking .5 every 3 days. Am I doing it correctly? Any suggestions? Trying to get off this asap not feeling very well :(

Hello Aboveitall, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Can you tell us what dose of Clonazepam you were on, we want to make sure you were given the correct equivalent dose.  We typically like to see members take the drug every day slowly reducing it every week or two by about 5-10% depending on your symptoms. If they're intolerable, then it's important to listen to this and slow your taper down.

Here are some resources for you to check out. 

The Ashton Manual is a great resource for understanding what benzo's do to us and chapter 3 will list your symptoms and why you feel them.

Planning your taper (Taper Plans) will show the methods we support and members will offer suggestions.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper) is where you an go to get the support and understanding you need while going through this process.

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

Pamster

Wow, that's a big reduction, how are you feeling? 

Many members find they need to do this slowly so they can remain functional, we have lives we still need to lead and the thing is, even after we take our last pill, the repairs our brain is making are ongoing.  Getting off of the drug is only the first step, recovering from the damage it's done is whats next. 

I am alright by day 3 I need the .5 bad today has been rough. Headaches, no energy, just not feeling great I can't wait to be off these meds so bad though

This is what Professor Ashton had to say about taking your medication each day and why it's important to do so.  If you find your method too painful, I would suggest you consider taking it everyday but in a lower dose.

The aim is to obtain a smooth, steady and slow decline in blood and tissue concentrations of benzodiazepines so that the natural systems in the brain can recover their normal state. As explained in Chapter I, long-term benzodiazepines take over many of the functions of the body's natural tranquilliser system, mediated by the neurotransmitter GABA.

The Ashton Manual

Xanax has a very short half life compared to Clonazepam so I'm not surprised you're in pain by day 3, longer acting benzo's like Valium and Clonazepam are better suited for taper purposes.